What Shall I Vote On AV?

I’ve read all the bumf, listened to all the talk. I am by no means stupid as some of the Con’s wish to imply.

So I have a pretty good grasp of the Pro’s and Con’s.

And yet, and yet, my cynicism has reached such an edge, betrayed, lied to and stolen from by politicians, big business and the rest over the last 20 years.

That what it comes down to for me when deciding on these matters is ‘Cui Bono’ [“To whose benefit?”] and the answer always is ‘Thiers’ not ours.

iDave doesn’t want it, so that’s a good reason for voting ‘YES’ and yet Millibland and the Cleggon want it, so there’s your reason for voting ‘NO’.

They are just vested interests wrapped in smart suits, they no longer represent the people, but their own political class, they want you to vote for whichever they feel will keep them on the gravy train the longest or get them back into the First XV.

No matter anyway, as was proved in Eire, if the vote goes against the way the EU want, we’ll just be made to vote and vote again until they get the result they want.

And all the time the elephants in the room get bigger.

9 comments for “What Shall I Vote On AV?

1. April 23, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Which all leads to “meh to AV”. I’m not even sure I’m going to vote this time around – it only encourages them.

2. April 23, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Vote for whatever you think you won’t regret voting for in future.

If we get AV, then you can have the satisfaction of casting a couple of “conscience votes” or “comedy votes” before casting your “compromise vote”.

If we get FPTP, then you will only ever be able to cast a “compromise vote”.

And of course, under AV, if you agree with one candidate/party and one candidate/party only (and despise the others), then you can still just cast your first vote (which is tantamount to casting your first, second, third votes etc) for that party/candidate and have done with it.

3. April 23, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Is comment mod on?

• April 23, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Only for the initial comment. Thereafter it should go straight through.

• April 23, 2011 at 10:08 pm

LR, in that case, delete my subsequent comments.

4. Wiliam
    April 24, 2011 at 5:19 pm

A superb exercise in pointless obfuscation by Messrs Clegg & Cameron. Millipede has only played a bit part so he doesn’t warrant a ‘Mr’!
    The ONLY thing worth being on the electoral roll for is voting in a ‘get out of the EU referendum’ as that ain’t gonna happen as long as the LibLabCon exists I’ll stay off the electoral roll.

5. Bardsworld
    April 25, 2011 at 5:34 pm

For once my postal ballot arrived in time for me to take part, so a quick “NO” and away it goes.

As accurately surmised above, who does it help, who does it benefit. FPTP has allowed our two dominant parties to sway back and forth drunkenly into the fray, wreck the country and wander off again for a while now. AV just promises more king-making by a bunch of fence sitting tossers who can’t find a formula to oust either of the leading two disasters.

If the Lib Dems are so hopeless they couldn’t knock Brown’s shower now led by the union puppet Milliband into 3rd place in an FPTP election why give them more power with AV?

6. Zorro
    April 25, 2011 at 11:55 pm

When I see Ed “not as bright as David” Milliband and Vince “fuck me I’m smug” Cable together suggesting something is a good idea, I know damn fucking well it’s the stupidest idea since the human cannonball was invented.