What’s in a Name?

For a project that has generated much initial enthusiasm – long may it continue – the naming of our new creation has been a little contentious. Is contentious the right word? James and I have dithered like a pair of cats deciding whether to go for the mouse in the grass, the bird in the tree we cannot reach, or tear out a little of each other’s fur for invading the territory. Given that I’m not usually indecisive, this is unusual – but, then, I am not used to committee-led decision making. It’s probably just as well I’m not the prime minister.

All of which is interesting, as James has passed the final executive decision to me. So, I’m going to make it.

During the period of the great dither (is that the big dither or the great indecision?), I would wake at some point in the afternoon to find that the site displayed a new name as James toyed with it during the tweaking process. I would open it up and muse to myself that this is what we are calling ourselves today.

The poll had a couple of obvious front runners – unfortunately the runaway favourite; “Herding Cats” is another blog in the USA. That put paid to that one. So too, was a late addition to the mix, but one that I did like very much; “The Forlorn Hope”. There was a lesson to be learned there and I suspect that Google might have been a possible solution. I don’t recall exactly what the order of preference was, the poll is no longer up, but the current name “Orphans of Liberty” featured fairly high – and I seem to remember several people commented favourably. As it has been up now for about 48 hours without a name change, it is my inclination to run with that.

So, if you really, really hate it, you know who to blame. I’ve got broad shoulders, I can take it.

——————————

On an admin note: We have several posts scheduled and these take us well into Tuesday. This is a good thing – and I thank all of those of you who have contributed so far – it is you who will make this a success, not us. However, you may be writing about something that is time sensitive and waiting a couple of days may make the post go out of date. We need to think that one through. At the moment, I’m only scanning posts as I schedule them for the next slot. I think that if something is really time sensitive, we might have to jump the queue to get it out there.

Bear with us on that one as I’m thinking aloud – but I think we need to be a bit flexible with scheduling.

18 comments for “What’s in a Name?

1. April 24, 2011 at 4:48 pm

What about ‘Herding Pussies?’ ;o)

2. April 24, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Yes, part of the problem with the sheer number of posts, many on the same basic theme, is to know when something is topical NOW, at this moment and to know that, we have to read it. I’ve posted something today but plan to step back for a while now until the other posts are up.

Obviously, we have to learn how to do this and will get better at it as we go along. It is true what we said – that posts go up in chronological order, as they’re received. Yet one or two might need to go up NOW. LR and I need to decide that in an ongoing, rolling, dynamic way.

The structure we have is to post a scheduled post at 6 a.m., 9 a.m., 12 noon, 3 p.m., 6p.m. and 9 p.m. every day. That way, a post has a chance to remain at the top of the page for some hours. The trouble is if we have an announcement – that would have to go in between.

We’ll sort this out before long.

……….

Harry – naughty. 🙂

3. April 24, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Might be my set up Firefox 4 on Win XP

But when I view the site the latest post goes into the Featured Post Side bar box, not moving to the front page until the next scheduled post is updated.

Was that the intent?

• April 24, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I think that is the theme doing this – it’s the same in IE as I tested it on that as well. Unless Chuckles or James can answer that one?

4. Chuckles
    April 24, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Yup, the Featured Post Widget for the theme says –

(Note: Posts displayed in this widget will be excluded from the main content on the index page)

5. April 24, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Just dealing with this now. Only just wrote to Longrider about it. Wait fifteen minutes and it will change.

6. Chuckles
    April 24, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Is that the same as the well known ‘fifteen minutes of fame?’

7. April 24, 2011 at 8:17 pm

“The poll had a couple of obvious front runners – unfortunately the runaway favourite; “Herding Cats” is another blog in the USA.”

It’s also a little bit too close to ‘Counting Cats in Zanzibar’…

• April 24, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I like Counting Cats In Zanzibar, too 😉

Interestingly, I’ve just had to recover your recent comments from the Spam queue again…

• April 24, 2011 at 9:41 pm

That’s odd – I made the first one without logging in, and the second AFTER logging in; thought that might make a difference, but clearly not.

• April 24, 2011 at 9:41 pm

And that one went straight through!

• April 24, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I’m baffled.

8. April 24, 2011 at 8:23 pm

“However, you may be writing about something that is time sensitive and waiting a couple of days may make the post go out of date.”

I’m not sure that’s as big a worry as you might think, but then, I’m someone who often schedules a couple of day’s posts at a time.

Oh, sure, if something snowballs, I might do a bit of post-juggling to bring it forwards, or if another blogger posts on the same topic I might delete mine, if they’ve said it better or add a link to theirs, if they’ve found a different angle of approach.

But if the point you’re making is a valid one, who cares whether the story you’re referencing is ‘yesterday’s news’?

• April 24, 2011 at 9:26 pm

You are probably right. It was a little niggle though. We’ll see how it goes. I’m sure that common sense will prevail.

9. April 24, 2011 at 11:08 pm

The name “Orphans of liberty” makes perfect sense to me, I’m happy if you stick with that. Please make a decision and I will amend my ‘blogroll accordingly.

Chances are, this comment will go to spam, but hey…

10. WitteringWitney
    April 24, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Actually the name ‘Orphans of Liberty’ has grown on me and with hindsight feel that that is what we all are…..

Don’t either of you change it, please!

11. April 25, 2011 at 7:55 am

The name has grown on me, I explain why at my own place. (Still tink it should have the definate article though. ‘The Orphans of Liberty’)

12. April 25, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Orphans of Liberty sounds good to me