Just a quick admin note for you all.

For some strange reason, WordPress is still swallowing comments. James and I will rescue them if they go into the SPAM queue. If they don't get that far, then we have no idea what is going on. If BC Spamblock causes problems, you will know about it straight away as you will get an error message.

If you do not see your comment appear after a reasonable time, then please let us know. If BC Spamblock prevents you from commenting, then again, let us know.

We apologise for the inconvenience. Please bear with us on this.

32 comments for “Comments

1. April 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm

While we’re here, we’ll run the Latest commenters for a while because I’ve been through all 4 star and above variants for recent comments, some skew the site, some don’t work. This was the only one which changes in real time. It involves hovering on the name of the commenter to see the comment commented on but it does work and is up to date.

The top posts widget is more problematic. It’s currently showing five, when it should be showing ten and one post is repeated. I’m about to search for another widget [the fourth].

• April 26, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Found a reasonable one and it’s up. Also links to documents in the sidebar.

2. April 26, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Approving comments held in the ‘Pending’ tank is a bit hit & miss, too. Sometimes, you just don’t get the option appearing (this happened with one of William’s comments earlier today), no matter whether you are logged in.

Have tried it on iPhone, iPad and PC. Someone managed to free it, though, because I don’t see it in the tank now.

• April 26, 2011 at 5:14 pm

That was me. Interestingly, this comment was flagged as SPAM.

• April 26, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Yes, I’ve just seen one of James’ comments in the ‘Spam’ holding facility too! πŸ™‚

WordPress disrespecs people, innit?

• April 26, 2011 at 5:48 pm

It’s certainly disrespecting you at the moment πŸ˜‰

3. Lord T
    April 26, 2011 at 6:07 pm

How much spam are you getting at the moment? If it isn’t too much you might consider turning the anti spam off.

• April 26, 2011 at 6:54 pm

That’s a point. We’re not getting too much. It’s the false positives which are the problem.

• April 26, 2011 at 9:49 pm

That’s because we have been using BC Spamblock, which stops the spam at the gates, unlike Akismet.

Prior to that, we were getting a lot considering the site was only a few hours old.

4. QM
    April 26, 2011 at 6:16 pm

My last 2 comments went straight to spam and I got an error message for both. Tad annoying really. πŸ™

• April 26, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Okay, so that is BC Spamblock playing up πŸ™

5. Chuckles
    April 26, 2011 at 6:45 pm

The only reason the code has for letting a comment through is that the commenter has had a previous comment approved.
    Weighted against that are that there are a lot more reasons to reject, and it’s the last test done.
    I’ll move the test up to the head of the queue later on, see if that improves matters.

• April 26, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Ok, we’ve now switched over to a double system and that should stop the error messages going out to multiple users.

• April 26, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I’d like to go back to LR’s BC system but at this moment, for the last half hour, there’ve been no problems. That might be Chuckles fiddling about. We’ll keep it monitored.

6. Chuckles
    April 26, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Nope, no fiddling by me, more ‘unfiddling’, restoring to default/standard setup for your new plugins.

7. April 26, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Okay, I’ve just released two legitimate comments and deleted two spam comments from the spam queue.

8. Chuckles
    April 27, 2011 at 10:07 am

Just made some changes to the comment approval code, test post to see if this can sneak through the maze without moderation.

9. William
    April 27, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Well mine are still vanishing into the ether!

10. William
    April 27, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Except the one I have just made. Bugger!

• April 27, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Deeply sorry. We are working on it right now at our end.

11. April 27, 2011 at 12:47 pm

We’ve just installed a plugin that allows us to tweak the WordPress settings for the “author” role. Contributors can now moderate comments, so even if we haven’t solved the core problem, more people will be noticing the trapped comments and releasing them sooner.

12. April 27, 2011 at 1:29 pm

You are going about this entirely the wrong way.

Disable comment spam filters and install the wordpress reCaptcha plugin :

It works.

• April 27, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I hate Captchas with a vengeance – it invariably takes me a couple of attempts to get past the Google ones.

That said, if it proves to be an ongoing problem, we might have to capitulate πŸ˜‰

• April 27, 2011 at 1:54 pm

reCaptcha provides the most easily read of them all I think. Not ideal but I found it the only solution to the endemic problem of comment spam.

• April 27, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I hear you and there is an invisible captcha available for WP – apparently it requires no end user input but it does block the bots. Don’t know how. Is that what reCaptcha does?

• April 27, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Yes, it’s called BC Spamblock.

13. April 27, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I just made two comments, both went into spam. I logged in, got the ‘approve’ option on one, and approved it. Not offered the option on the other! πŸ˜€

• April 27, 2011 at 6:14 pm

How odd. I presume you released nisakiman’s comment below from moderation. If so, our tweak is working.

• April 27, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Nope! Didn’t even see it, there was just the two I’d made myself pending….

• April 27, 2011 at 6:19 pm

I released him and also Julia’s second comment. So no, I don’t think it’s working.

• April 27, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Okay, all is clear – you were both looking at the same time, which is why Julia could only release the one and didn’t see nisakiman’s comment. James had already approved them. So it does look as if it is working or Julia wouldn’t have been able to approve any of them.

14. nisakiman
    April 27, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Just a test post to see if it appears. As LR et al know, I had an issue with the original site.