What alternative?

I have leaflets for ‘No to AV’ and ‘Yes to AV’ but really, what is the point of them? Voting is supposed to change something. Changing the format of the voting system won’t make a difference as long as all we have on the list are the same morons we had before.

Captain Ranty suggests changing the form to make it a referendum on the EU. Nice idea but I suspect it will be ignored. Our politicians simple won’t hear what they don’t want to hear.

On balance, I have decided to vote ‘yes’ to AV because if it comes in, we replace ‘X’ with a series of numbers.

Then I plan to write a zero in every box. It’s the nearest we’ll ever get to a ‘none of the above’ option.

20 comments for “What alternative?

1. April 26, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Spot on. The problem is the existence of the career politician, not the means of choosing between career politicians. Or, we need reform, but not this one.

That logic led me to decide to vote “No”. But I like the zeros idea.

2. April 26, 2011 at 3:13 pm

“Then I plan to write a zero in every box.”

Surely, that means they all win?

• April 27, 2011 at 1:46 am

Yes, they all win.

Then they have to fight to the death to decide the final winner. It won’t change much but it’ll be much more entertaining.

• April 27, 2011 at 8:33 am

I might be more interested in the voting process if there was a fight to the death…

3. William
    April 26, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Both have been returned to Wan. K. Ers, at the appropriate Londonistan address, who strangely seems to be working for both sides, who’d have thought?

4. April 26, 2011 at 3:18 pm

“Voting is supposed to change something…”

As the old quip has it ‘If it did, they’d abolish it!’.

I’ll be voting ‘No’ because all the people urging me to vote ‘Yes’ are the people I’d run a mile to avoid. So anything they are in favour of must be something to be avoided.

And we’ve had far too much change for change’s sake in the last government’s destructive term. Why encourage them to throw out another tradition?

• WitteringWitney
      April 26, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Probably sounding like a record, as I have said this many times although not on this site, I shall be voting ‘No’ on the principle that if the voting system is to be changed, then it is for the people to decide from what options they wish to choose. I refuse to vote for a system, or choice of two systems, that is being imposed on us by the political class purely to cement their hold on power.

• April 26, 2011 at 5:29 pm

it is for the people to decide from what options they wish to choose

Hear Hear.

• April 27, 2011 at 8:37 am

What I suspect has happened is that during the coalition talks, the Lib Dems demanded a referendum on PR. Tories said no. In the end, Tories offered a referendum on AV. They know it’s not as good as PR, so a good number of the pro PR people will vote against, but the Lib Dems figured it’s better than no referendum at all.

Personally, I’ll be voting yes – I know it puts me among bad company, but I think it’s worth it for the chance to bring meaningful change to the system, and I fear that if FPTP wins the referendum we shall be given no chance to change it again for decades. At least if AV wins, we can then campaign for a proper referendum to see what the people want…

• April 26, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Yeah, but, no, but… The “No” side is also populated by people I’d run a mile from… Bugger!

5. April 26, 2011 at 4:16 pm

It’s the old, old story. We bust a gut, we set up groups, blogs, who knows what, to get the one referendum that was promised and reneged on. Instead, oh so easily we are given this referendum nobody either wants or needs.

How widespread is this feeling in society? How many, like us, think this referendum is a big fat zero? They control the microphone. This small blog is a larger megaphone than our own blogs but still does not reach enough people.

And what of those of our own persuasion who don’t embrace all the voices speaking as we do, who’ll ignore this blog, even though so many are writing at it? Where is an end to this fragmentation?

If Tebbit or Hannan or the 1922 would all speak out on the things we are all speaking out on, what change there’d be. Why don’t they, when they know what we say is true? It’s utter frustration, is it not?

• April 26, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Hannan has remarked on the lunacy of us being offered an AV referendum more times than I care to remember. Tebbit hasn’t written about it quite so much recently, but his views are pretty clear. Sadly, I think they’re being honest when they complain that their views don’t count for much within the Conservative party, and that they don’t get much airtime from the BBC.

Personally, I was very tempted to spoil my ballot, but I think I’ll probably vote No on the day. Anything else would be too big a gift to the socialists. It would probably cement our loathsome status quo.

OTOH, it would be interesting to see how many first preference votes UKIP pick up.

What we really need is true PR, but probably for the Lords rather than the Commons. But none of it matters unless we can win the battle of ideas.

6. April 26, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I’ve long argued the no case. However SWMBO has convinced me that voting no is a vote for the status quo. Yes may be bad but at least it is a tiny movement in another direction.

However the details of the voting system are largely irrelevant. I want a Swiss style direct democracy, the only real kind of democracy there is.

• admin
      April 26, 2011 at 5:16 pm

With you there.

• William
        April 27, 2011 at 1:03 pm

As am I. The Swiss system works.

7. April 26, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Yep.

I like that idea, DoB.

Referendums on every major decision.

CR.

PS-Leggy, thanks for the link. (I nicked the vid from someone else so I deserve absolutely zero credit).

• April 27, 2011 at 8:38 am

With today’s internet and proper security we could do this all online – it needn’t be hard.

That is, until you think about the government’s history with technology projects…

8. April 26, 2011 at 8:17 pm

It’s simple really – if you can’t make up your mind about “Yes” or “No” to AV, then you’re better off voting “Yes” because you’re probably the sort of person who in future will prefer to be able to cast a “conscience vote” a “comedy vote” and a “compromise vote”.

9. April 27, 2011 at 10:42 am

Captain Ranty: “I like that idea, DoB. Referendums on every major decision.”

That is yet another advantage of AV, people can form their own single issue parties, put up a load of candidates at a GE and that is effectively a referendum. For sure, the “Legalise Cannabis Party” won’t get any MPs, but it might get ten or twenty per cent of first or second votes, which will “send a message”, will it not?

• William
      April 27, 2011 at 1:05 pm

A message to who?
      Any who would act upon the message assuming they received it and decided that those sending the message had a case?

Pissing in the wind IMHO!