Fighting Crime

Stories like this:

“A PUB singer is set to be quizzed by cops tonight after he was accused of “racism” for belting out the chart hit Kung Fu Fighting as two Chinese people walked past.”

Are usually presented as a whacky over reaction by the police who are incapable of exercising common sense.

In this case though, the police aren’t actually to blame. This is because they are simply following the guidelines imposed on them by the government in the wake of the MacPherson Report into the murder of Stephen Lawrence which gave the police an obligation to investigate any racist incident. Racist incidents were defined as:

The police literally have an obligation to harass blameless individuals who have not committed any crime.

By the way this is my first post, glad to be here.

22 comments for “Fighting Crime

1. April 27, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Glad you made it. The bottom line though is that it is wrong altogether, don’t you feel?

• April 27, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Well yes, but the problem is the system not the individual officers.

• April 28, 2011 at 5:59 am

That’s something I hear a lot over at Insp Gadget’s and other police blogs; in fact, the excuses seem to boil down to these:

a) It’s not our fault, we’ve got these guidelines…,
        b) Oh, I’d never have done that meself, but you see, those young wet behind the ears officers…,
        c) There’s more to it than the MSM are printing, I bet it was a real racist incident really….

Given the ease with which the police seem able to evade all other guidelines when it suits them to do so, I’m not impressed with a).

If b) is the answer, then it’s in their interests to ‘explsain’ to these officers (behind the bike sheds, if necessary) just what grief they’ll be in if they don’t pack it in forthwith.

As for c), is that really an excuse advanced by the people who go into foaming apoplexy when anyone suggests that a dirty cop who escapes prosecution by the skin of his teeth might not have been ‘fitted up’ by PSD after all?

2. April 28, 2011 at 1:00 am

Okie dokie, as an Any Other Person I perceive Fridays Royal Wedding incident as racist since all bruvvas is excluded innit and demand that the Police investigate.

3. April 28, 2011 at 5:53 am

“In this case though, the police aren’t actually to blame. This is because they are simply following the guidelines…”

‘I was just obeying orders!’ didn’t work at Nuremberg. I see no reason why we should accept it as an excuse from the police today.

• April 28, 2011 at 7:23 am

Ideally they would refuse to do it, but have you seen how the reputations of the police officers involved in the Lawrence case were trashed? It would be a brave individual who decided to make a stand.

• April 28, 2011 at 7:36 am

Which is why, I suspect, most of them are quietly leaving for Australia, Canada, etc. Leaving the dross behind.

• April 28, 2011 at 7:40 am

Ross, I see your point that they have no choice but there is the issue also of the types they are bringing into the force, especially during the Labour years. And as you say, the rot is at the top and with the PCists in the society.

• April 28, 2011 at 11:12 am

I met a couple of those officers at the time, socially, boozing with some coppers I knew well and who could vouch for me. They were pretty tight-lipped, for understandable reasons, but the reality of the case wasn’t denied when suggested: it was corruption. One of the fathers of one of the white lads was a proper villain, and he ‘straightened things out’.

4. William
    April 28, 2011 at 8:10 am

The ’cause’ is the ACPO. They are to the Police service what Common Purpose are to the Civil service.
    The targets are coming into focus. Now we just need to become professional Russians……………..

“There is no more deadly weapon system in the world than a Russian with two AA-12s. And keep in mind that I’m a professional Russian. Don’t try this at home …!”

5. April 28, 2011 at 8:16 am

The police had an obligation to go round and ask the bar manager and Simon Ledger what happened in order to establish whether any crime had been committed. Ledger was willing to explain the situation without the presence of a lawyer. The statement of the bar manager and the CCTV footage establishes that the only person who was a victim of abusive behaviour was Simon Ledger at the hands (literally) of the complainant – and then the police. They had no grounds for arresting Ledger merely because somebody didn’t like his playlist, not even under MacPherson.

I’ve blogged at length on this because the police – the officers on the ground, not their bosses – are indulging in fantasy law and couldn’t be bothered to read the section under which they arrested him on suspicion of; the Public Order Act 1986 s.4A.

The problem here was indeed the individual officers. I suspect words are being had this morning as the press officers were desperate to get the dropping of charges on to the BBC by 2.30am to kill the story, meaning they were doing an all-nighter following the interview at the police station late yesterday.

JuliaM nailed it the first time: this isn’t bad superiors or bad law, this is bad officers. I conceed, however, that officers are getting very confused as to which behaviours are within the scope of criminal law and which aren’t because the law itself has been put in tangle by confusing the subjective experience of an alleged victim with objective events.

It is possible to sing a song which is intentionally racially insulting and abusive, and to thereby cause distress, but objectively this wasn’t it, no matter what the subjective experience of the complainant was.

• April 28, 2011 at 9:39 am

You beat me to it. On attending and asking the relevant questions, it was obvious no crime had occurred and that should have been that.

6. April 28, 2011 at 8:49 am

Individual Officers still have hate crime targets to reach, as do their forces, failure to reach them might lead to accusations of those officers themselves being racist since such crime is deemed to be endemic. Thus in a county like mine with few ethnics officers will go out of their way to label real or invented crime as Racist on the slightest of petty pretexts.

• William
      April 28, 2011 at 9:00 am

I have personal ecperience of an officer having to hit his ‘personal drink driving target’ so Banned is spot on. We all know that the Brown Blair years were the times when targets were ‘invented’ but where did the idea of Police Targets formulate?
      I think it was within the ACPO but I an not 100% sure. Could one of “me learned friends” confirm or educate?

7. April 28, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Yesterday’s satire, today’s reality. Should we laugh or should we cry?

• April 29, 2011 at 6:51 am

Ahhh, I did love that sketch! πŸ™‚

8. April 28, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Can’t the police use their common sense though, and judgement?

• April 29, 2011 at 6:53 am

They say no, they can’t. Though others tell tales of having done just that, in other, similar situations.

I suspect that these particular individuals just couldn’t be bothered to do so. And why not? There’ll never be any consequences for overreacting, but the consequences for ignoring or belittling an aggrieved ‘special group’? Unthinkable!

• William
        April 29, 2011 at 8:31 am

It all depends on the individual officer and who he or she is attending with. I’m not joking. Fifth columnists are everywhere but they are not seeking to subvert the government but are instead on a mission to subvert free thinkers and people who can master the art of common sense.

9. Phoenix
    April 29, 2011 at 12:58 am

“A racist incident is any incident which is perceived to be racist by the victim or any other person”

Then why is not every MP and BBC employee in jail for anti-English racism?
    I have tried time and time again to get the authorities to take action, they simply ignore anti English racism.
    I have tackled the BBC, they refuse to answer. They have instructed presenters and panellists not to use the word England or English (slipped out by Stephen Fry on the QI prog) I have served Forms RR65 under the Race Relations Act and made FOI Act requests. They refuse to answer the FOI requests and totally ignore the RR65s.
    They do not fear violent reaction because they are planned and ready for it.
    The police are not here to protect the public they are here to control it.
    Apart from the streets of Beirut scenario I cannot see any way forward.

• April 29, 2011 at 6:54 am

“The situation in England is that civil, public workers and Government simply disregard public opinion in full knowledge that they can control us.”

Agreed. Even using their own tools against them isn’t working. πŸ‘Ώ