On Being An ‘Orphan’

Firstly thanks to James and Longrider for setting this all up, I was honoured to be asked, but now after seeing the list of companion authors and Luikkerland’s storming opening post, I’m now a little nervous.

On The Name of the Blog

As with any collaboration of such independent folk, even the naming of the site was going to be a contentious issue and so it proved, my own personal preference of ‘Herding Cats’ which pretty much summed up the whole thing, was unfortunately already taken, My second choice ‘The Forlorn Hope’ echoing a small band ready to charge the guns, the same. (and indeed is the website of ‘a small band’)

However ‘Orphans of Liberty’ is growing on me. Being an orphan is a terrible thing, I’ve lost one parent and that was bad enough even at age 32, to lose both is unimaginable.

Yet if Liberty was a parent, I’ve lost that one too. Liberties I knew growing up in the 70’s have gone, deciding whether to wear your seatbelt or not was the first. All the time the state grew bigger, interfered more. Labour or Conservative it mattered not, they are all Big State  You do what I want you to do according to the dogma to which I subscribe, because I know better than you, don’t you know that, peasant.

CCTV,  Travel bans, Smoking bans, tax on this, tax on that, Green taxes, CRB checks, give us more , do this, do that. Alcohol limits, Salt limits etc.

I am eminently qualified for many jobs, yet because I don’t have a state approved ‘Ticket’ I cannot even be considered. Nu-Labour tried to bring in the ‘Ausweis’ fortunately that has died for now, until the EU makes it a requirement. (Although their open borders are crumbling fast)

So am I an ‘Orphan of Liberty’  I would say yes, the ‘parent’ I knew growing up has been taken from me and not by tragic accident but by vile murder over 30 years.

Hopefully it will hold up to ridicule our lords and masters, the Powers That Be, The Political Class, The elite of that incestuous abomination, The MSM. For if there is one thing they cannot stand it is people laughing at them, ignoring them, saying ‘NO’ to them.

That’s the key , I hope it makes you think for yourself, because thinking for yourself is the first step back towards Liberty.

[Note: edited version of a post at my own place]

6 comments for “On Being An ‘Orphan’

1. April 28, 2011 at 10:41 am

“… because thinking for yourself is the first step back towards Liberty.”

Hear hear!

2. April 28, 2011 at 10:42 am

If you’re interested [and I shan’t be making a habit of linking to myself but it is relevant to this post], my analysis of how things have gone so far is here.

Please feel free to leave links here to your own analyses on your sites.

Thanks are due to our contributors and also to the commentators – the stats are actually going steadily up over these three days, rather than dropping away, after the initial excitement. The techie side we are working at because the comments in spam issue is unacceptable.

We’re trialling something now and hope it works.

PC, I echo your thoughts on liberty.

3. dearieme
    April 28, 2011 at 10:58 am

If you chaps are looking for a lively Conspiracy Theory to pursue, do consider Denninger’s views on the Birth Certificate (laughs up sleeve) of the Imom Obama.

P.S. “Imom” = International Man Of Mystery

4. April 28, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Not having the right ‘ticket’ includes not speaking the same language. You have to demonstrate an understanding of the claptrap jargon they hide behind instead of using plain English. The subversion of our language is something else to fight against.

• April 28, 2011 at 2:58 pm

As an educationalist, I vigorously underscore that, GV.

• April 28, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Very true, I failed my first interview for the Jobcentre as I didn’t say the right words. Luckily I got a second shot in another round of recruitment and my JobCentre adviser coached me in key words. like Diversity, overcoming barriers, KPI’s, SMART targets, displaying competancies, working lean, inclusivity, tolerance (and not as a +/- unit of measure) and so on.