What’s it all about… money?

Still struggling to get my head around the concept of money. Not the normal everyday concept, in which I emulate the great Dylan Thomas’ economic strategy – I do some work, produce something, someone else gives me money for it and I buy whisky. That’s straightforward enough and has worked well for many years.

What I’m having trouble with is the concept of money in the minds of our deranged leaders. They evidently don’t see it as I do. They see it not as a simple means of exchange that enables me to sell work to anyone, not just the distillers, and then use that exchange mechanism to pay the distillers. They see it as the end point.

Money, insofar as I can get into their mindset, trumps nature. All you have to do to stop the global climate changing is move some money around. Ignore the detail that mud flats, swamps, volcanoes and the water covering two-thirds of the planet and all life other than humans does not use money – indeed, has no idea at all what it is. Ignore the effects of the moon, the sun and other planetary bodies on the climate. Ignore the changes in the past. All we have to do to stop the Earth ever changing again is move money around. Money will save us if we worship it.

Is that an apt description of the Folding God these people worship?

It’s not a means of exchange for them. They produce nothing. They earn nothing. They aren’t using money as a way to feed themselves or their families. They are not at all interested in improving the lives of their people. Money is not a means to an end. It is the end itself.

Look at the events in Greece. If we throw money at them, they will be fine. Yet they don’t need it. As Old Holborn reports, they are setting up local groups to trade using something other than the Euro. Direct barter or dollars, it doesn’t matter. What matters is that the State is not involved. If you barter with chickens and they take twenty percent in tax, what are they going to do with them? Sell them back to people who have no money? The banks are unlikely to accept them as legal tender. The IMF are not likely to be interested in a national debt repayable in poultry.

Yet the poultry have value. Feed them, breed them and produce more poultry or wring their necks and eat them. They have value either way. What intrinsic value does a handful of printed paper have? The value ascribed to gold is a purely human value. No other form of life is remotely interested in it. It’s inedible and unreactive, so even bacteria have no use for it. It’s shiny junk, but we fight wars over it. Nobody has ever gone to war over a poultry farm.

Take this business with Libya. Countries all over the region are doing exactly what the Gadfly is doing to their own people and nobody minds. Nobody demands airstrikes and no-fly zones. In fact, wasn’t Syria one of those demanding NATO impose a no-fly zone over Libya? They haven’t asked for one over their own country. Neither has anyone else.

We all say ‘Oil’ to that because it’s the obvious answer. But do those other countries have no oil? They certainly have plenty of flies, what with the mounting piles of corpses. Where is their no-fly zone? Where are the airstrikes? Where, even, is the mention of these things among NATO countries?

It seems there might be another reason the Gadfly has to go.

I don’t think ‘oil’ is the answer to all these invasions and wars. Oil is just a step on the way to what those who claim to know best actually want.

Money.

There’s more to come on this. The subject of money at that level is a complex one and despite posting on it several times, I don’t think I’ve worked it out yet. I don’t even know how close I’m getting.

I can’t think about it for too long at a stretch. It makes my head hurt.

22 comments for “What’s it all about… money?

1. May 12, 2011 at 8:20 pm

“It makes my head hurt.”

Whisky is the cure all. Works for me. Drink lots, pass out. Voila, no headache.

• nisakiman
      May 12, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Until the following morning…

• May 13, 2011 at 2:20 am

There is no such thing as ‘morning’.

2. Lord T
    May 12, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Very interesting. Yet another thing we don’t read about in our media.

I think the media need to be strung alongside the politicians as collaborators.

They enable the politicians to do what they do. 😡

• May 13, 2011 at 2:28 am

The media have become lazy and easily bribed. Oh, and scared of being sued.

3. May 12, 2011 at 9:36 pm

“They certainly have plenty of flies, […] Where is their no-fly zone?”
    Was that an intended pun?

• May 13, 2011 at 2:21 am

Naturally. I have a no-fly zone here enforced by a can of ‘NATO’ spray and an army of ground forces (spiders).

(Hey, I can edit to correct my spelling here!)

4. May 12, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Good piece AE.

I have a huge interest in money as well. It is created out of thin air. It only takes on “life” with someone’s signature. By which I mean a loan agreement: it (the document) is inert until someone animates it with their moniker. There is even a signature on every banknote.

I was stunned (at first) to learn that fiat currency is worthless. I cannot find the exact FOI that I wanted to link to but this will do:

There is another FOI in which the Treasury dude (Paul Morran) admits that bank notes have an intrinsic value of around 5 pence. Beyond that, they are worthless. They only function because of peoples faith in them.

CR.

• May 12, 2011 at 10:50 pm

“I’d be happy to trade in chickens, goats, cows and horses. At least, as you rightly point out, they have value.”

Fine, but not always practical, which is why gold and silver became the money of the free market; not decreed by any king or potentate, but arrived at by the free market as the most universally accepted item of exchange, due to their durability, divisibility, relative rarity and, I expect, their intrinsic beauty (N.B. I said intrinsic beauty, not intrinsic value!).

• May 13, 2011 at 2:24 am

Gold and siver can have a defined value by virtue of being in limited supply. Paper money means the supply of currency is not limited so it can collapse.

Electonic money doesn’t even exist in the real world. When it becomes worthless you can’t even light a cigarette with it.

According to Fausty, it seems the Gadfly was planning to introduce real gold coins again. The Electromoney folk wouldn’t like that at all.

5. May 12, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I’m thinking what it would be like for all these people in government, fake charities, quangos etc. if they actually saw they weren’t wanted and departed. Where would they all go?

• May 13, 2011 at 2:26 am

I really don’t care, as long as they go.

• David
        May 13, 2011 at 9:55 am

The solution is called “The Golgafrincham Solution” which can be found here,
        and many other places thanks to Douglas Adams. I think the sooner it is implemented the better.

I don’t understand where all the money, which we are told is borrowed by every country is coming from and how did this entity, which lends money to every country get the money in the first place. Do they have a lot of printing presses?

To me,things went off the rails when they invented “futures”, by selling commodities which hadn’t been produced and its been getting stranger and sillier ever since.

6. May 12, 2011 at 10:59 pm

There’s one thing people worship far more than money, the folding stuff, whether hard earned or stolen, and that is land ‘ownership’.

That is the real mystery of this.

Some bloke works hard, builds up his business, creates wealth and jobs fair and square, has half taken off him in tax, buys himself a nice house with what’s left and he’s decried as ‘nouveau riche’.

Some other bod happens to be the 30th generation descendant of some rampaging Norman war lord, still lives in a nice house with everything paid for by the serfs, peasants, rent- debt- and wage slaves and we are supposed to address him with a fancy made up title and mutter in hushed tones “Oh, the land has been in the family for thirty generations, he ‘gentry’ dont’cha know”.

• May 12, 2011 at 11:54 pm

There’s no mystery. Almost everyone wants to have a place called home, which is theirs, which they own.

• windsock
        May 13, 2011 at 11:06 am

Or, everyone has a home which they can rent for as long as they like; they may find another one they want to rent more. Cuts out the idea of the landed gentry, property speculation, housing bubbles… The land of the whole country then belongs to the whole population and isn’t divided up randomly among the rich, once rich (some of the aristocracy), nouveau riche etc.

The ideas of the Diggers are interesting too.

• Lord T
      May 13, 2011 at 9:46 am

Mark,

I think you are suggesting that everyone starts off from the same place. Doesn’t matter who your parents are and they are not allowed to pass on the fruits of their labours to their children.

It has less chance of happening as finding an honest politician.

7. May 13, 2011 at 3:46 am

Gaddafi and his heirs also have to be got rid of to further the aims of the evilEU to progress the faltering Mediterranean Union or “Rome II Beta”.

8. May 13, 2011 at 5:35 am

“I don’t think ‘oil’ is the answer to all these invasions and wars.”

Certainly haven’t seen it become any cheaper yet, that’s for sure… 👿

• Lord T
      May 13, 2011 at 9:47 am

Julia,

You assume that the intention was for it to be cheaper for us.

Wrong assumption.

9. Bill Brunton
    May 13, 2011 at 7:21 am

“But what it can’t buy, I don’t want…..

10. Rossa
    May 13, 2011 at 9:56 am

And then there’s this idea…