Idle thoughts of an idle fellow 2

I first began to wonder about how the media have affected our perception of reality, in the early 1970s.  I was in a friend’s room overlooking a non-league football pitch and there was a game on. I was facing the window as we chatted, and I noticed a goal being scored. A couple of seconds afterwards, I realised I was still waiting for the action replay.

9 comments for “Idle thoughts of an idle fellow 2

1. May 18, 2011 at 9:07 am
    • Sackerson
      May 18, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Good links as ever, James. McLuhan sparng to mind while writing but I hadn’t heard of the other fellow. Quite right I think, there’s a diet for the mind as well as the body.

2. May 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm

“Are there other ways in which we are being conditioned by modern communications technology?”

Yes – obviously.

• Sackerson
      May 18, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Help us develop the discussion, AKH!

• May 18, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Blogs are a good example. From a conditioning aspect, blogs induce new forms of behaviour unknown to the MSM apart from ‘letters to the editor’. Blogs allow an immediate response, and a response to a response etc.

Although this isn’t usually what we think of as conditioning, that’s exactly what it is, but to most of us it is desirable conditioning. Instead of being conditioned to accept the one-way, top-down process that is the MSM, we are conditioned to value our own input, to modify it as we become exposed to the vast resources of the internet. We may even change our minds occasionally! It’s all conditioning, changing old habits, inducing new ones.

Blogs (largely) have changed my conditioning in that I no longer watch TV. I prefer the internet. This is conditioning – eliminating old habits, inducing new ones.

A more negative (IMHO) type of conditioning is provided by TV soap-opera which may induce compulsive viewing, as may TV news. Climate change would not have become a politically significant issue without huge numbers of people being conditioned into a state of apprehension about the climate, achieved almost entirely by the use of electronic media – including blogs unfortunately. There are other well-known examples too numerous to mention.

• May 18, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Thanks, interesting. Yes, blogging gave us back our voices.

3. Chuckles
    May 18, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Where will it all end we ask? –

And before everyone comes looking for me with a net, I hasten to add that I think that the article is complete drivel. But, there are a lot of media/technology fusion types who think it’s awards material.

4. May 19, 2011 at 10:37 am

I’ve noticed the same thing now that we have got used to the Freeview telly box with replay function, if we’re listening to the radio in the car and I don’t catch what was said, my first urge is to lean forwards and press the rewind button.

Or if I read an interesting article in the newspaper which gives a url, my first urge is to click it.