At This Rate, The Schoolday Will Need To Be 24 Hours Long…

Yup, some other single-issue pressure group wants something else added to it:

A heart charity is calling on the government to include the teaching of life-saving skills in the national curriculum.

What sort of ‘life-saving skills’ are we talking about here? Zombie siege-resistance? Hijacked aircraft landing? Alligator wrestling?

In a survey carried out by the British Heart Foundation, 73% of schoolchildren wanted to learn how to resuscitate someone and give first aid.

Oh…. *disappointed*

Of course, since the charity carried out the survey, I expect the question went something like ‘Would you like to learn how to resuscitate someone?’ and most respondents thought, ‘Well, who wouldn’t?”

If it had been couched as ‘Do you want extra lessons and to spend more time in school?’ there might have been a very different response…

More than 75% of teachers and parents also agreed it should be taught in schools.

They didn’t think it through either…

A spokesman from the Department of Education said there was nothing stopping schools teaching these life-saving skills already.

Well, quite. If the head teachers think it’s so vital, what’s stopping them?

I thought they wanted more freedom, and less centrally-mandated regulations?

Maura Gillespie, head of policy and public affairs at the BHF, said teaching these skills was crucial.”Teaching young people how to save a life is as important as learning to read and write. They are skills which equip them for real situations they might face in their lives.”

I hate to burst your bubble, Maura, but the schools aren’t all that hot on teaching them to read and write, so god alone knows just what sort of garbled ‘life saving’ you are likely to get if this does get squeezed into the curriculum somewhere….

19 comments for “At This Rate, The Schoolday Will Need To Be 24 Hours Long…

1. May 19, 2011 at 9:45 am

You really do have to wonder about that “as important” bit as well, I’ve never yet once needed to resuscitate anyone, nor use the skills I was taught on a first aid at work course, however reading and writing is something that seems to come in handy on a daily basis.

• May 19, 2011 at 10:34 am

Me neither.
      I once has an ‘unconcious’ lad in a pub I was running. I simply poked him in the eye and he woke instantly.

• PPS
        May 19, 2011 at 2:40 pm

What did you poke him with?

• Chuckles
          May 19, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Facebook probably?

2. David
    May 19, 2011 at 9:53 am

What these fake charities understand clearly is that teachers wont be able to squeeze in all these add-ons, so what schools have to to do is pay for people to come into schools to teach these extra activities. Bingo – more pocket money for charities and the self perpetuation goes on.

3. May 19, 2011 at 10:02 am

Actually, basic first aid is a useful thing to know – just the basic stuff such as breathing, airways, circulation. Those things that make the difference in the first few minutes.

Of course, those of us of a certain age will recall having done these things with the scouts and guides…

4. May 19, 2011 at 10:08 am

How about resuscitating education? Kids could be taught all about pressure groups – how to identify and ignore them as a necessary part of intellectual freedom. Freedom? Doh!

• May 19, 2011 at 10:16 am

• May 19, 2011 at 10:34 am

5. May 19, 2011 at 10:21 am

Having myself had a heart attack while out walking, and having recently to deal with the sudden collapse of an elderly relative while shopping, I have rather more sympathy with the idea.
    In my younger days I was a member of St John’s Ambulance, and although well out of date with modern techniques I at least retain a fair idea of significant dos and don’ts.
    Seems to me very basic lifesaving techniques are considerably more important that most of the indoctrination that they spend so much time on currently.

• May 19, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Oh, I think they’re very valuable. But they shouldn’t be forced on unwilling participants, as part of the school curriculum.

• May 20, 2011 at 12:51 am

But look at the school curriculum, there is so much time wasted in schools on citizen programming that cutting it out should leave room for all key skills, and a couple of hours of basic lifesaving spread over 5 years shouldn’t be a problem. I suggest it’s more use than, for example, learning how to put a condom on a banana. I know of no women who have ever been made pregnant by a banana, do you? They are not noted for their sperm count 🙂

6. Lord T
    May 19, 2011 at 11:23 am

I actually agree with this education. I think we teach too much that is of little use to us after we leave school.

I think we should teach;
    Mathematics (basic maths, balancing books, reallife stuff)
    First Aid
    Basic living skills
    Fitness, healthy living

Then we should touch on other subjects, georgraphy, history, etc. just to give them a basic grounding and find out who is interested. They can then go on to advanced levels when they have passed the basics.

• May 19, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Hygiene, morals, and ethics? You’d really leave those up to the state school system to teach..?

• Lord T
        May 19, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Good point. I cut that from another post and didn’t mean to leave in hygiene. 😳

All the others are under the understanding schools change their marxist ways and sack all the leftie teachers.

7. May 19, 2011 at 11:38 am

Lifesaving was part of the swimming time during the week. At our school, it went into the two hours the kids went swimming. It wasn’t just water safety and lifesaving – it was a St Johns at the higher level. Physical activity on the curriculum is a must in my book.

8. Maaarrghk!
    May 19, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Never needed it, but it would be nice to learn it.

Oddly I never had any first aid training until I enrolled on a local council run motorcycle training course in 1990 – now sadly defuct as speed cameras are a much better way of teaching road safety and saving lives starts to foam at mouth……

9. Lilith
    May 19, 2011 at 4:49 pm

If they did a first aid course these kids would realise that they need a defibrillator to resuscitate someone. Will the schools be buying those too, just in case someone dies at school and the ambulance can’t get there for an hour?

• Lord T
      May 19, 2011 at 7:12 pm

With defibs now at £1K each and nice picture instructions as to use many places already have them as part of their site first aid kit.