How Do Schools Have Time For This?

More than 2,000 schoolchildren chanted and waved banners as they took to the streets in a march against dangerous drivers this morning.

Pupils from Mill Hill, Hendon, Cricklewood, Edgware and North Finchley were among tens of thousands of youngsters across the UK who took part in the Kids Say Slow Down campaign.

Hmm, I’ll bear this in mind the next time people are complaining that the striking teachers are putting their kids’ education at risk, and so the government should give in to them…

Teacher Sarah Glackin walked with 360 pupils.She said: “Drivers often use Hale Drive as a cut-through and it causes congestion in the mornings and afternoons when the children are trying to cross the roads, making it very dangerous.

“We want to encourage children and their parents to walk to school and Deansbrook promotes a park-and-ride scheme where parents park a few hundred metres away from the school and walk the rest of the way, whatever the weather. ”

OK, we’ll skip through the absurd notion that congestion (which makes cars slower, often a LOT slower than even 20mph) is somehow making it more dangerous for the kiddiewinks. Who, if they cross sensibly at approved crossings aren’t in much danger anyway.

But what I want to know is this: If parents and children want to get wet, all well and good. But why they hell should they have to get wet (or trudge through snow and ice in winter) to make you happy, you insufferable little prig?

What do you do to the ones who refuse your ‘encouragement’, I wonder?

Headteacher, Simon Putman, added: “If we don’t highlight the need for safety and park-and-ride schemes, how long is it before a child will be seriously hurt?”

Who cares? When was that ever part of your bloody job? Your job is to teach them when they’re there, a feat the educational system manages to be spectacularly useless at, at least when it comes to reading, writing and adding up.

Who, I wonder, is really behind this?

The event was also a chance for UK children to break a world record for the largest “walking bus”, aiming to smash the current record of 119,697 and raise £35,000 for road safety charity Brake, which organised the Kids Say Slow Down march.

Aha! Of course, who else?

Julie Townsend, Brake’s campaigns director, said: “We support families whose children have been killed or maimed on roads, so we know the terrible devastation these tragedies cause.

You never know when a child might make a mistake and run out. Your slower driving could save their life. At 20mph or lower, you stand a good chance of stopping in time if a child runs out ahead.”

So everything will slow down, and then the likes of ‘Brake’ will be happy and satisfied, I suppose?

Or will they then campaign for 10mph? And then 5mph…?

10 comments for “How Do Schools Have Time For This?

1. 1327
    June 18, 2011 at 3:56 pm

If its anything like it is up here the reason the drivers are using the smaller cut through roads is because the bl**dy council has messed up the main roads with cycle/bus lanes + pointless traffic lights and probably tram tracks.

Incidentally does anyone know if children are still taught practical road safety as we used to be ? Given the gormless juvenile chavs I see walking across dual carriageways I’m guessing not.

• June 19, 2011 at 5:27 am

Ditto!

And I assume that road safety is still a part of the curriculum if they can fit it in between recycling and condom-etiquette…

2. john in cheshire
    June 18, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I know what you mean, JuliaM, but I used to take my nephew to school. The road sign before and after the school was 20mph. I didn’t see this as an unreasonable limit. There were cars passing the school at speeds greatly in excess of this, despite the signs. Who knows why they felt it necessary to drive so quickly in an area where they knew there would be many children. But if I had been witnessed to a situation where a child had been injured or killed by a car driver I don’t know what I might have done to him/her.

• ivan
      June 19, 2011 at 12:47 am

And you measured the speed of those cars with????? If you were going by the sound then you were most probably estimating something like 10 to 15 MPH over the actual speed.

3. June 18, 2011 at 5:26 pm

For me, what’s wrong here is teaching children to make blanket accusations, to point the finger at good and bad drivers alike.

They are being taught that it’s okay to condemn people en masse rather than step back and look at the wider picture – and anyway there is no wider picture if everyone joins in the fun.

• June 19, 2011 at 5:28 am

Educating the next generation of little drones…

4. Robert Edwards
    June 18, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I’m sure they would have preferred to stay at home and play Grand Theft Auto.

Whatever happened to the Green Cross Code? I’m even just old enough to recall the Tufty Club, too; common sense stuff, but a bit dated now. No account of i-pods, mobiles, etc., the sidearms of the modern kiddy. Just mind your eye…

Is Brake a real charity or a bogus one?

5. PT
    June 18, 2011 at 11:11 pm

So I imagine that the teachers would be amenable to the idea of digging up and turfing their school car parks, or building on them, so that they too would then be able to set an example by having to walk to school. Or would that be construed as grounds for yet another teachers’ strike? Or, since the teachers are assuming responsibility for the safety of children outside the school gates, maybe they’d be willing to walk along roads leading to the schools, carrying red flags in front of horseless carriages during school commute times.

• June 19, 2011 at 5:28 am

Heh! 😛

6. Maaarrghk!
    June 20, 2011 at 7:18 am

Robert.
    Brake is indeed a fake charity, bankrolled by the private bus companies. The agenda is to make driving as unpleasant as possible in the hope of forcing folks to take the bus instead.
    An interesting post I read on Safespeed a few years back by a chap who was in Brake early on until he found it was based on a lie. Well, 2 lies, the first being “speed kills”.
    The second is that the founders fiance was killed by a “speeeeeeding driver”. In fact he had decided to ignore signs that a stretch of road had been closed for a racing event and took a walk along there. He was killed when one of the competeing cars came round a bend and hit him. Imagine basing your campaign on someone walking onto the track at Silverstone during the Grand Prix – well now you don’t have to imagine.