The cycle of liberty revisited

Interesting thought on the Historical sequence of our liberty.

From bondage to spiritual faith;
From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
From dependence back again into bondage.

I was looking at this and was surprised how quickly we can leap from one to the other. It seems that we can do one a generation on the downward section. Fighting our way up takes a lot longer. I don’t believe technology will make any real difference until we develop a FTL drive which will be used for many to go off and start again, New Worlds for all, Constitutions will be written and governments set up all with a Libertarian bent. After all the whingy whiney people won’t be going until everything is safe and looking good and then they see this, like it and move in and then they want it changed to their requirements which is where it all goes wrong. We need to cover that in the constitution.

However, we are nowhere near this. No unexplored land to move to so we will introduce our surveillance society and move to a Police state. Then the terrorists fighting against our way of life will have won and we will be the terrorists and will be seen by history as freedom fighters. Our futuristic films will become reality and we will build Christianity up again. Our next generation of soldiers will be Crusaders. And without the PC crowd they will be cleansing with holy fire. I wonder what the world population will fall too?

What a legacy are we leaving for our children and grandchildren.

A commenter of mine, Ivan, wrote:

For a start the scale of change is logarithmic not linear – the last two need less than a generation to accomplish. On the wayup the time scale is reversed.

If we managed to develop an FTL drive that didn’t cost the earth, I am sure that most of those with ‘get up and go’ would indeed go – I would given the chance – not caring if there was another world to go to but determined to make one if necessary. For those left behind there would be eventual chaos because most of the people with scientific knowledge would have left. Life would carry on as normal while the machines still worked but when they stopped. . .

Unfortunately that is not an option open to us yet, as you say. Will the terrorists win because the government does their work for them or will the people rise up and say enough is enough? The former is the most probable outcome which leaves your prediction to come to fruition.

Indeed what a legacy we are about to leave.

6 comments for “The cycle of liberty revisited

1. June 21, 2011 at 6:10 pm

What’s an FTL drive?

2. Lord T
    June 21, 2011 at 6:57 pm

FTL = Faster Than Light

At light speed it will take us 4 years to reach the next nearest star to Earth. We need FTL to make it anywhere else really.

3. ivan
    June 21, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Since I wrote that I’ve had time to reflect on it and it appears I was wrong – going down is much faster than I thought.

The UK is a police state in all but name with the police being run by a private company that does as it likes.

Anyone with any form of initiative is hounded and handed over to the MSM for a hatchet job that ensures they conform or else.

The rules from the EU are not only implemented but they are gold plated. It has almost got to the state that if you go out of your house you will break some rule/law and you may be no better off staying inside.

To answer James’ question FTL is the art of getting elsewhere so fast you leave light behind.

4. Lord T
    June 22, 2011 at 9:31 am

I’ve thought about an FTL drive before and as much as I like the thought of the Star Trek type I suspect it will end up more like a stellar jump like BattleStar Galactica. Its bad enough driving on a road now and I can see what is coming. FTL sounds possible but the issues created seem unlikely to be fixed.

• ivan
      June 22, 2011 at 8:37 pm

In the stories I write I have the ‘jump drive’ for travel anywhere outside a solar system. I can’t see a ST type drive being any use except in intergalactic space where there is nothing to get in the way. Anywhere else, how do you dodge stars, planets and so on at that speed especially when you take doppler shift into consideration.

• Lord T
        June 22, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Even in interstellar space a speck of dust at those speeds would obliterate a space craft.

Unless, of course, something new is discovered which changes things.