Children Should Be (Not) Seen And Not Heard…

A grandmother has spoken of the distress of being questioned by police after a neighbouring school allegedly accused her of being a peeping Tom.

What was she doing, hanging around in a dirty mac outside the school gates?

No, she was in her own house and garden. Which happens to overlook the school, so avoiding ‘peeping’ would be a hell of a problem.

Not that that occurred to the agents of the state who called on her to impress just how awful it was that she might happen to glace at someone’s precious kiddiewink:

Tracy Tamplin, who suffers from mobility problems, claims the officers said she was seen looking out her bedroom window at children in the school playground beside her back garden. She also claims they told her she should get frosted glass in her windows to block out the view of the school playground from her home.

Wha..?

Ms Tamplin said: “I feel victimised in my own home. I do look out my window – but I’m not a paedophile. I’m wandering around now, I have got all my curtains closed and I’m terrified.”

FFS!

Police officers called at Ms Tamplin’s home about 10.30am on Thursday after the school reported “suspicious activity” at the property.

Ms Tamplin said officers questioned her about reports that she was peering out her bedroom window and over her garden fence at the youngsters.

“They said I was looking over my fence,” she said. “I can’t even sit up there in my condition.”

So what if she weas? Is it now illegal to catch a glimpse of a school child?

The grandmother of three added: “The doctor wants to keep me away from as much stress as possible, and my only bit of enjoyment is the garden.

“I just think it’s absolutely disgusting the way the police treated me. I’m absolutely shocked.”

Hopefully, the publicity has shamed the police farce into…

Oh.

A spokeswoman for South Wales Police said: “On Thursday, May 19, officers received a call regarding suspicious activity at a property in Pentwyn, Cardiff. The occupants were visited and spoken to about the concerns that had been raised. No offences have been committed.

A spokesman for Cardiff council said: “There was some concern regarding activity at a neighbouring property to the school. No formal complaint was made and following a visit from the police to the property, it was ascertained that no offences had been committed and the matter was resolved.”

Clearly, Ms Tamplin doesn’t feel it’s been ‘resolved’. And nor do I.

This is, of course, yet another case of the ‘Paedo Panic’ that seems to infest every state organ lately, and of course it wouldn’t occur to the police that suggesting an elderly lady replaces her windows with frosted glass so as to avoid the awful act of inadvertantly catching a glimpse of someone else’s child was an unreasonable request to make, now would it?

H/T: Angry People In Local Newspapers

10 comments for “Children Should Be (Not) Seen And Not Heard…

1. Jim
    June 23, 2011 at 9:26 am

I often drive past a primary school (the one I went to as kid as it happens) on a regular basis for my work. The kids are often out in the yard playing. Am I supposed to look the other way in case the sight of some 8 year olds drives me mad with lust? If I crash my car into someone as a result will a defence of ‘I was avoiding looking at kids as the police demand’ stand up in court?

2. June 23, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Yes, it’s gone into the realms of literally insane now. What are these bozos doing – driving round, looking for paedophile old ladies?

3. June 23, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Seriously depressing story. What have we descended to? I’m surprised the police didn’t think of suggesting frosted spectacles.

• June 24, 2011 at 5:03 am

Probably not a good idea to give them ideas…

4. microdave
    June 23, 2011 at 3:21 pm

“Is it now illegal to catch a glimpse of a school child?”

It pretty much is here:

• June 24, 2011 at 5:07 am

I thought this nonsense was over!

5. June 23, 2011 at 4:40 pm

for “very good safeguarding reasons.”

1. What “very good” reasons? I’d like to hear that spelt out in detail. Whatever is it meant to prevent?

2. Climate of fear – is that what this Headteacher wants?

The worst aspect, if he were to be interviewed would be that he’d come across as oh so responsible, oh so reasonable, when it is anything but. Zero discretion, no case by case decision but a blanket ban.

How did people like this get into power? They cram the board with CP types, they in turn appoint these sorts of prats and who suffers in the end? One day these idiots will turn around, in a different social climate and say, “We were misled.”

• June 24, 2011 at 5:05 am

““We don’t want to single out and remove the same children every time which is why we have asked parents not to take photos at school events,” she said.”

Ah, well, typical school attitude – we can’t make one small group feel bad, so we’ll make EVERYONE feel bad. 👿

6. phil;
    June 23, 2011 at 10:53 pm

So, no crime was committed? Mmmm
    Suspicious activity, twitching curtains? Mmmm
    Someone called the police because they thought someone was ‘looking’ at children. Mmmm

THOUGHT! ‘I think someone is LOOKING at the children.’ That person must have superman eyesight. Even at a short distance I struggle to see where the person in front of me is looking, and I aren’t blind.

So the ‘HUNDREDS’ of reports about an actual allegation of pedophilia within the ranks of the police, parliament and social services – YES the Hollie Grieg case has NO merit?
    But the police will call on an elderly woman and report back, nothing to report?

Case No.1 no written evidence and on an inkling, only Suspicion, rightly checked out by the police.
    Case No.2 Victim (medically fit to give evidence) reports ACTUAL abuse, pages and pages of it, names named, places, times, dates and the attorneys are told they cannot be involved in any investigation nor will they be told why and the police have investigated and find no reason to continue. One of the perpetrators resigns suspiciously, grounds not disclosed but highly suspicious.

Are the police after soft targets? Don’t answer that we all know a cover up when we see one.

Don’t worry Hollie we will not forget and we will never give up.

Namaste, phil;

7. tracey Tamplin
    December 19, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I was shocked to see the article aboveas since the 19th May my life has been a living hell. The police have called at my property 9 times since, complaining that i am offending the school by having a window cleaner who cleans windows without a shirt on could he cover up please. I have had them say that i am not to repair a fence in the back garden during school times because the children get alarmed. Also on one account they say that they heard someone singing at the property and could they stop. The police came and vetted me even though i commited no offence????? i now live in darkness i am an ill lady with on going mobility problem. Please if the right person can HELP me then respond as i have taken this to everyone that i know including my local AM but i am still here living in fear with an ongoing illness.