I Can’t Help But Feel That The Term ‘Gorge’ Was Enough Warning…

The National Trust has been criticised by the family of an 82-year-old woman who fell to her death in a gorge from a woodland footpath in front of her horrified sister and daughter-in-law.

The family, of course, feel that there wasn’t enough signs.

To their credit, the National Trust are standing firm:

He said he still felt that warning signs were unnecessary at the point where she fell, adding that if signs were put up there many other similar places would require them, which would be ‘detrimental’ to the landscape. ‘Too many signs spoil the countryside,’ he said.

Commenter Paul from Radstock seems to have the right of it:

“It is the proliferation of safety barriers and signs that cause this problem not the lack of them. People now rely on someone else to think for them, when there isn’t a sign they assume it is safe. People should take responsibility for their own safety. Remove all the warning signs and over cautious safety barriers they litter the countryside. It is certainly a tragedy but accidents do happen.”

I can’t help but agree, sorry as I feel for the family.

18 comments for “I Can’t Help But Feel That The Term ‘Gorge’ Was Enough Warning…

1. July 11, 2011 at 7:41 am

Classic JuliaM headline. Out of all the people who post here, I knew it was you.

2. July 11, 2011 at 8:00 am

3. Daft Old fart
    July 11, 2011 at 8:01 am

Gorgeous tale Julia:)

4. Dutch Steamboat
    July 11, 2011 at 8:29 am

I thought that she’d eaten too much, but was sadly disappointed.

Any sympathy for the family evaporated with the touching way that the sons blamed the NT for not putting a huge fence and some fucking razor wire up to stop Granny doing a Superman impersonation.

I blame her family for taking her somewhere so dangerous. They should have performed a proper H & S audit themselves beforehand.

5. July 11, 2011 at 9:39 am

There’s research showing that people have different levels of tolerance to risk. Make roads and junctions safer and they will change their driving behaviour to compensate.

• July 11, 2011 at 11:21 am

It’s not research, it has been observed and measured, all the statistics show it.

• nemesis
        July 11, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Totally agree. Rules and regs do not eliminate accidents.
        Google the late great Hans Monderman for a philosophy of taking personal responsibility (particularly in regard to roads)
        But the authorities motivation for putting up signs is based more on protecting themselves from liability than protecting the public. What a horrible sticky legal mess we find ourselves in when we started down this path.

• dearieme
        July 11, 2011 at 2:19 pm

“It’s not research, it has been observed and measured..”: oh, you wag.

6. Lord T
    July 11, 2011 at 10:05 am

How come the doddery old bat was so close to the edge anyway.

Sniff, sniff…. I sense a big inheritance or a big care home bill somewhere.

7. LJ Hills
    July 11, 2011 at 10:21 am

She’s 82 so has missed out on the infantilisation of the great British public in her formative years. Unless she has Alzheimer’s (shifting the responsibility onto her family for supervising her), she should be aware that being an adult involves being responsible for yourself including where she puts her feet. Shake the nation, please, “Get a grip and stop whining!”

8. ivan
    July 11, 2011 at 10:37 am

Lord T, how come I thought that as well?

• Lord T
      July 11, 2011 at 10:46 am

Like minds.

9. July 11, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I did this walk a few weeks ago. Sad as this death is, the area isn’t suited to 82 year old people unless unusually fit and active. Some bits are flat, but other stretches are rough with fairly steep slopes rising above the river. It is beautiful walking and not at all difficult, but certain sections are quite obviously unsuited to elderly people.

• Lord T
      July 11, 2011 at 1:14 pm

in other words perfectly suited to families that want someone bumped off and blamedon someone else.

Why are the Social Services scum not all over this?

10. dearieme
    July 11, 2011 at 2:23 pm

First draft of my script for the TV version:

“Surrr, there’s been a murderrr”.

“They’re a’ at it, I feel it in my water. Pull them a’ in, Jackie.”

It would mean moving the story to the environs of Glasgow, though. Well gorged, mind.

• Lord T
      July 11, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I don’t know. We are adaptable….

Son : Fancy a holiday in the Gorbals Mum? It will be interesting.

Mum : OK then son.

Son : OK I’ll book your ticket then Mum, we are off to Majorca. Remember to pack your England flags and St Georges outfit. They love that up there.

Two weeks later

Son : I’m going to sue that travel company they have no warning signs on the buses to Glasgow at all. Someone (else) needs to take responsibility.

Son’s son : When do I get my new car Dad?

Son : Shhhh. That evil capitalist firm National Express are trying to shirk their duty. Money won’t replace poor old gran but they could try with larger amounts and so far they are refusing to pay us what we are due. Anyone got Slot Gobs phone number?

11. July 11, 2011 at 6:38 pm

reminds me of Phill Jupitus on breaking into the lion enclosure at London Zoo and the reason why the zoo didn’t feel the need to put barbed wire on the top of the fence: there’s fucking lions in it!

• Maaarrghk!
      July 12, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Oh, if only that had been the statement from London Zoo themselves rather than from Phil Jupitus! πŸ˜†