When fire safety officers visited Scarlett’s they were shocked by the potential deathtrap conditions, a court heard yesterday.
Scarlett’s is the sort of place where the services are very, ummm, ‘specialist’ indeed. But it wasn’t the manacles and chains that got their attention, oh no.
Yesterday single mother-of-four Dawn Donaghue, who ran Scarlett’s, was ordered to do 60 hours of unpaid work as part of a 12-month community order after she admitted breaching fire regulations.
Yes, a clear risk, when you lock people in, but how can a dungeon function otherwise?
Firemen found ‘obstacles in the corridor’ and an emergency exit being used as a ‘changing area’.‘This was a high risk environment with low lighting,’ said Mr Hart. ‘There were rooms which were dark and dingy, equipped with restraints, manacles and chains.’
Fires, unlike Miss Whiplash, don’t respect safety words, after all…
Mrs Roberts told the court that Donaghue rented rooms to ‘ladies of a certain age competing with younger and possibly more attractive ladies’.She said: ‘There were only one or two customers a day. They spent a lot of days sitting around chatting and drinking tea.’
Makes me proud to be British. 🙂