Budget Crisis? What Budget Crisis?

Hundreds of thousands of families are to be visited by travel advisers who will tell them to stop driving their cars.

Armed with bus timetables and cycle route maps, they will knock on doors and lecture on the need for ‘sustainable travel’.

I just can’t wait until they knock on my door!

How much is this costing?

The doorstep campaign by the army of taxpayer-funded ‘personal travel advisers’ is part of a £156million effort by ministers to persuade people to leave their cars at home when they go to work or the shops, or take children to school.

/facepalm

Never mind the public, they’d be better off knocking on a few doors of public representatives first!

Of 39 councils who will share the ‘sustainable transport’ money, 32 have said they will use some of it for advising individuals on how they can get around without their car.

About 300,000 families are liable to get a visit.

And how many travel advisers are going to get a fat lip, or at least a door slammed in their face?

Darlington has already run trials using paid advisers to go door to door. It will now get £375,000 for a scheme to visit all 45,900 homes in the area.

And they aren’t the only ones:

In Hereford, the 74,282 homes in the city will be visited twice, once for advisers to give information on public transport and cycling, and three months later to check whether the advice is being followed.

And if it isn’t? What do they plan to do?

Ministers have told MPs that the spending is good value for taxpayers.

Oh, really?

On the streets of Darlington last week travel advisers said they were meeting mixed success. With trolleys full of pamphlets in tow, Alex Clarke, 21, and Chris Chance, 28, who were on contract for the council, said some members of the public were more receptive than others.

Heh! Yes, I’ll just bet…

10 comments for “Budget Crisis? What Budget Crisis?

1. July 19, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Say what you like about insanity, it has its funny side.

2. July 19, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Oh my God! Why can’t they just leave us alone? Who voted for this?

3. ivan
    July 19, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Using public transport might/maybe OK in a city where you have said public transport.

Where I live the public transport stays on the main road and never goes into the villages. In my case, if I used it to go to the city, I would have to walk 3 km to the bus stop very early in the morning and catch the workers bus or just after midday. There would be no going out in the evening because there is no way of getting back – last bus out of the city is 18-30.

Nearly everyone has at least one car through necessity, nearly all families have two again through necessity.

For those that say, why not cycle, I wonder how many of them have done a round trip of nearly 30 km, the return half trying to carry 2 or 3 large bags of shopping.

4. View from the Solent
    July 19, 2011 at 4:56 pm

How much are travel advisers paid per mile for car usage?

5. LJH
    July 19, 2011 at 5:00 pm

They had best not knock on my door, I’ve been feeling rather irritable lately..

• moonrakin
      July 19, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Likewise

6. July 19, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I have a bus that passes my door every hour. It doesn’t seem popular as the only person onboard is the driver. I really must catch it someone time just to talk to that lonely man. It will be my civic duty to counsell this poor man who is forced to suffer the indignity of lack of support for his service.

My son lives in Darlington. I really must forewarn him that the bus police are coming. He’s six foot 2 inches and will not take kindly to this crap. So if you read about a cycle co-ordinator battered to death in the MSM, then you can blame me as an accomplice.

7. Maaarrghk!
    July 20, 2011 at 6:30 am

Time to buy that brace of large Alsations I think.

And to warm up the Jag……

8. Bill Sikes' Dog
    July 20, 2011 at 7:54 am

I’m sure we could all offer them some travel advice of our own .

9. David
    July 20, 2011 at 8:17 am

First question to any travel advisor – ‘How did you travel here today?’