Why Should I Be Forced – By Law – Into Action Due To Another’s Idiocy?

Ex-EastEnders star Todd Carty is calling for a new law making it compulsory for dogs to wear seatbelts in cars.

And just why is this a sudden pressing concern of this brainless posturing luvvie?

The actor’s demand came after one of his dogs, a pug, nearly died when it jumped out of his car and ran under a 4×4.

There you have it.

He’s been an idiot, so clearly, we need to have yet more legislation to stop everyone else being an idiot as well. Even if it wouldn’t occur to them to be so stupid as to leave a dog unrestrained, or to then demand laws to force everyone else into compliance…

Does this stem from some sort of sense of entitlement that infests the luvvie world? Does being dressed, made up and given other people’s words to say on camera do something to the brain? Stop you acting on your own initiative?

Does it make you believe that your pet hobbyhorse is the most important thing in the country?

Carty, 47, has teamed up with TV vet Charles Bagnall and the RACto back the Noah’s Bark pet safety campaign.It hopes 100,000 people will sign its petition, making the proposals eligible for a Commons debate.

A Commons debate?!? Christ, you don’t think the Commons has better things to debate than this?

Take your petition and shove it where you keep your ‘talent’, sunshine…

21 comments for “Why Should I Be Forced – By Law – Into Action Due To Another’s Idiocy?

1. July 24, 2011 at 11:36 am

[sarc] No, Julia, he’s absolutely right. While they’re at it they could also ban people from keeping tortoises under the brake pedal. 🙄 [/sarc]

• July 24, 2011 at 11:39 am

*removes tortoise from footwell*

Well, damn! Now where am I supposed to keep him?

• July 24, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Find a discarded Ginster’s wrapper for him to curl up in?

• Woman on a Raft
          July 24, 2011 at 3:02 pm

That last Cornish Slice was kinda crunchy.

2. SteveShark
    July 24, 2011 at 11:46 am

In the glovebox with the spare coatimundi, of course.

• July 24, 2011 at 12:38 pm

🙂

3. WitteringWitney
    July 24, 2011 at 11:56 am

On this one, Julia, methinks Carty is on his ‘tod’?

Actually I believe dogs resemble their owners – or is it the other way round? Anyway, per the OED:

“pug: a dwarf breed like a bulldog with a broad flat nose and deeply wrinkled face”

Being a dwarf breed it no doubt has a small brain – like Carty?

• July 24, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I was somewhat surprised he owned a pug athletic enough to jump out of a car window!

• July 24, 2011 at 1:02 pm

WW, for shame! We don’t say ‘dwarf breed’ – we say ‘dog or bitch or transgenedered or neuter/spayed canine from the differently tall community.

• July 24, 2011 at 2:52 pm

With height challenges.

4. Woman on a Raft
    July 24, 2011 at 12:08 pm

But, but, but….there are already laws. Does he not know?

If, for example, your unrestrained tortoise was to skid off the dashboard, through window and hit a granny in a wheelchair causing fatal head injuries (heaven forbid) then you’d be looking a gross negligence manslaughter. Also, the RSPCA would want a word about unnecessary suffering to your shelly friend.

You are supposed to keep them in the boot. I tuck my tortoise in a big rugby sock for padding and fold back the cuff at the head end to make sure he can breathe.

• July 24, 2011 at 12:40 pm

There’s no room in the boot, I keep my Emergency Warthog in it.

5. July 24, 2011 at 1:00 pm

And, of course, there’s the ordinance that Our Lord himself gave us: Love thy neighbour as thyself.
    This has to include avoiding the risk of making sushi out of a pug; not to say donner meat out of 4×4 drivers.
    On the other hand, if you were to mangle a black dog in this way would Muslims be absolved from any such law made as a result of this fine and sensible suggestion?

• July 24, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Yeah, but the last person I ran over wasn’t my neighbour, so who cares? 😆

6. July 24, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Oddly I think he has a point, but for quite different reasons. I have seen dogs jumping around inside cars while travelling down the motorway. I see no reason why I should be put at risk by the driver being distracted by such stupidity.

• July 24, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I reckon other laws already cover it. Drivers are expected to exercise due care and attention and to be in control of their vehicle at all times, and if an animal is bouncing around in there distracting the driver then he’s almost certainly breaking the law already. Why add another law, and one which will no doubt add pages of regulations on the dog restraints’ (can we call them SIT!belts?) permitted dimensions, materials, fitting, and who knows, possibly even colour, all of which could end up on an MoT checklist adding twenty quid a year to the running costs of millions of vehicles?

7. July 24, 2011 at 1:35 pm

“Flippin ‘ell Tucker”

8. john in cheshire
    July 24, 2011 at 2:10 pm

We should be taking measures to repeal legislation rather than adding to it. Isn’t that what Mr Pickles was supposed to do when this lot came to power last year? My wish would be that this government leaves power with significantly fewer laws on the books then when they came in. And given the thousands of laws the labour shower enacted, that should be a really easy thing to do. Shouldn’t it?

9. Jeremy Poynton
    July 24, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Tried it. Every three or four minutes, I had to pull off the road to prevent Pig from asphyxiating himself as he strove to free himself. Personally, I would think more of a campaign to lobotomise idiots such as this, for the common weal.

10. July 24, 2011 at 9:24 pm

How about a law that made soap stars belt up?

11. DaveK
    July 25, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Yes (Playing Devils Advocate).

The one thought that came to my mind was the advert where the unrestrained teenager in the back of the car “kills” his mum. I wouldn’t want a couple of stone of dog hitting me in the neck as I bounce off the airbag.

We always had a hatch or estate when we had dogs and kept them behind a barrier.