Puzzle Corner answer

As several people worked out or guessed Melbourne’s skateboarding rhino signs are to remind pedestrians to watch out for trams, though since most of the trams weigh well over 20 tonnes a rhino on a skateboard would be a hell of a lot lighter and might do less damage. A whale would have been about right but who’s ever heard of a skateboarding whale? That’d just be silly.

10 comments for “Puzzle Corner answer

1. Twenty_Rothmans
    August 7, 2011 at 6:46 am

Hang on.

Is this the same Australia that believes the only way of bringing home to smokers the consequences of their actions means graphic pictures of unsightly diseases?

If this method is truly effective at stopping smokers, should the tram warnings adopt the same philosophy and show some crushed heads or dismembered torsos?

They wouldn’t do that because:
    (a) it would scare the cheeeeeeeeldren
    (b) it doesn’t stop smokers after all, and
    (c) antismokers get as wet as an otter’s pocket at the thought of something bad happening to smokers.

• August 7, 2011 at 8:58 am

Trams in plain packaging, that’ll be next. Mind you, the thought of that tram trundling around the city with a picture of Saint Oprah of Winfrey plastered down the side to remind us that we were paying her to come here and spruik the place to the yanks makes plain trams sound pretty good.

2. nisakiman
    August 7, 2011 at 8:28 am

When I lived there (70s) it was all the old style trams, and you could hear them coming from miles away. Having the tram system engendered some road laws that had to be learned, too. The oddest (or at least, it seemed that way when I first started driving there) was the “right-turn rule” at several of the junctions in the city. I seem to remember when I took my Class 1 test there that all the junctions it applied to had to be memorised as part of the written test.

I liked the trams – a good public transport system.

• August 7, 2011 at 9:00 am

There are still a few of the old ones about. They run them on the City Circle route around the CBD and one or two other routes that get a lot of tourist traffic, and yes they are a bit noisier than the modern ones. Mind you, they all seem to make a lot of noise going round the tighter corners on the edge of the CBD.

• August 8, 2011 at 5:57 am

The ones in Croydon regularly do their bit in removing the dimmer sections of the population…

• August 11, 2011 at 8:21 am

Darwinian process in action. I think one here hit Shane Warne once. Draw your own conclusions.

• Twenty_Rothmans
      August 7, 2011 at 7:02 pm

When I first visited, I deliberately sought out places where I could do the freak-out right hand turns. I also did a U-turn at a traffic light (verboten in NSW).

Because I could.

Strasbourg’s fun. Quiet trams, plenty of tourists, winding streets and silent trams. A LOL a minute.

• August 11, 2011 at 8:22 am

I remember the pride I felt popping my hook turn cherry not long after moving to Melbourne. Mrs Exile laughed and called me a wanker. 😳

3. Jim
    August 7, 2011 at 5:36 pm

It makes sound like a train spotter (I’m not honest!) but I loved riding the trams when I visited Melbourne a few years ago, and in San Francisco too. I think part of the thrill was the fact that the public was treated like adults – despite these machines being potentially dangerous to those around them, they haven’t been sanitised for the usual H&S reasons. Particularly the ones in SF, where you can hang off the side if you like.

Wish we could have similar attitudes to risk in this country. Instead everything is dumbed down to the lowest common denominator – basically however big an idiot you are you have to be protected from your own stupidity, instead of allowing Darwin to do his work.

4. nemesis
    August 7, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Rather reminds me of a story I was told about do-gooders (probably WHO) posting warnings of malaria in Africa with pictures of giant mosquitos. The Africans took a litereal translation believing they were in for a plague of giant mosquitos.
    WHO have alot to learn about cultural differences.