Raising Better Sheep…

A tenant has been evicted from her home after repeatedly refused to clear up her eyesore garden.

Hurrah!

It’s not, after all, as if she wasn’t given every opportunity to not be evicted…

Last year, she was warnedthat if she did not clear up the mess she would be evicted.But despite repeated attempts by Derby Homes staff between November last year and July to encourage Ms Rhule to clear her garden, she did not do any of the work.

They didn’t just send letters, either. Oh, no.

Derby Homes tried several waysto get Ms Rhule to carry out the work.Officials completed an acceptable behaviour contract setting out what she needed to do to her garden.

Staff also went out on numerous visits and sent warning letters telling Ms Rhule that she would be evicted if she did not comply with the court order.

But during the past seven months, staff at Derby Homes said the state of the garden had got steadily worse, with more rubbish being dumped and hedges and grass left overgrown.

So the neighbours must be relieved, right?

While some of those working and living nearby welcomed the eviction, others thought it was a step too far.

Really?

One man said: “It’s good they’re doing something about it but they need to evict half the people round here on that basis because a lot of the gardens are overgrown.”

My first response to that is probably not one he wants to hear!

Another resident living nearby said: “I think it’s a bit much.”There was a mess but it usually was cleared.

“I’ve had letters about my hedge needing cutting and all sorts in the past but I have young kids and other things that are a priority but I do it when I get round to it.

“They should have helped her rather than just evict her…”

How exactly should they have ‘helped her’?

Should they have cleared up the mess for her, time after time?

What sort of place is this estate, where ‘personal responsibility’ is apparently a dirty word? I suspect it’s just the sort of estate some in the political world have been building to for years and years….

13 comments for “Raising Better Sheep…

1. dearieme
    August 26, 2011 at 2:09 pm

There are three sorts of social problems. (i) Those best remedied with sniper fire. (ii) Those best remedied with machine-gun fire. (iii) Other sorts.

2. Boots McGonagle
    August 26, 2011 at 3:15 pm

A resident said “She’s just going to be without a home now and the mess will still have to be cleared up, won’t it?”

Exactly.

• August 28, 2011 at 6:47 am

But at least she won’t be adding to it on a daily basis.

3. Andrew
    August 27, 2011 at 3:37 am

Throwing someone out of their home because their garden’s a little messy is a bit fucking evil if you ask me.

Yeah, before you say it – their property, their rules.

But why not just tidy it for her and add it to her rent? No need to send the thugs in, potentially making someone homeless, over untidiness.

And there’s certainly no need to write an article gloating over it.

• mikebravo
      August 27, 2011 at 7:02 pm

One would guess that Ms Rhule lived on benefits as she was clearly a lazy slob. Adding the clear up costs to her rent would have been no use as she probably doesn’t pay any.
      Gloat gloat yuk yuk!

• Andrew
        August 27, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Just reduce her benefits by the relevant amount them.

Why would you want someone to lose their house over something so trivial?

If you want to pick on someone there are far more worthy candidates than a lady with a messy garden.

• Loki
          August 27, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Or a messy lady garden. Snorf, snorf.

• Tattyfalarr
      August 27, 2011 at 10:34 pm

On the offchance you are having trouble with the definition of “untidiness” allow me to offer my assistance. Education is for all, after all.

“Untidiness” is a couple of crisp packets blowing in the breeze and the odd catfood tin rolling about.

“Untidiness” is not the equivalent of a mound of shite to rival the size of the local council tip.

• Andrew
        August 28, 2011 at 2:03 am

OK, smarty, let’s hit the dictionary…

Merriam-Webster says a possible definition is “not neat”. And that’s exactly what the garden is. So my usage was spot-on.

If you’re going to try to appear clever and argue word definitions, it’s always a good idea to check on them first.

And, as I’m sure you’re fully aware, I was using the word as a bit of an understatement to help drive my point home.

Funnily enough, exactly as you did in your comment, as the rubbish in her garden is obviously not “a mound of shit to rival the size of the local council tip.”

But then maybe you thought you were being doubly clever by doing that and were curious if I’d pick you up on it.

Or maybe you’re just a pedantic cunt.

• Tattyfalarr
          September 2, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Oh… I never said it was a dictionary definition…which pretty much makes YOU the pedantic cunt 😆

• August 28, 2011 at 6:50 am

“But why not just tidy it for her and add it to her rent?”

Why should they? She isn’t a child, FFS! And as pointed out, the chances are good you and I are paying that rent, not her… 😥

“And there’s certainly no need to write an article gloating over it.”

I’m a firm believer in ‘actions have consequences’. We’ve let people like her have a free ride for far, far too long. Time we all woke up.

• Andrew
        August 28, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Several generations now have been trained to expect free housing and spending money. In some areas it’s the accepted culture.

And as you say, it’s most definitely not right.

But kicking someone out of a house for a messy garden will achieve nothing at all.

It’s the whole system that needs to change – we need prevention, not cures.

If you want to attack individuals I’d recommend following Richard North (eureferendum.blogspot.com) and going after the real low-life, parasitic scum in the public sector.

• Tattyfalarr
          September 2, 2011 at 5:03 pm

“kicking someone out of a house for a messy garden will achieve nothing at all!

It just *might* teach her NOT to shit on the doorstep of the next property she’s allowed to live in that doesn’t actually belong to her. 🙄