Karmic retribution

For a start, anyone who puts “teaching” in his/her url is to be treated with great suspicion and I certainly don’t go to anyone’s site to be “taught” something, as if he has “the answers”. I might go to learn something.

There’s a blogger called, if I remember right, Bruce Charlton Teaching. Sorry but I find that completely pratty and though I know our friendly ghost Chuckles is into the guy’s writing, I avoid it like the plague for that one word “teaching”. [Update – see comments section where I stand corrected].

Now there is this Michaelteachings site and I went to it because of this karmic debt thing written by Earthling in the comments on one of our posts yesterday. Thought I’d best check out this stuff. OK, it organizes what happens to us in seven levels of karma. It goes into ice cream debt and toolbox debt etc. and that’s fine, as long as it doesn’t become a religion in itself.

As a Christian, you can replace all these with “do unto others as you’d have them do unto you” or on the eye for an eye biz, one major difference between old and new testaments is:

Recompense to no man evil for evil, provide things honest in the sight of all men, if it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head, be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

I like that “if it be possible, as much as lieth in you” because it does permit self-defence and then you can get into Ecclesiastes and “to everything, there is a season”. Tut tut, LR – that Judaeo-Christian tradition again we’re supposed to mock and vilify. Such a pity it underpinned our whole society for centuries which, of course, we’re hellbent on denying.

That “coals of fire” is ultracool and is, I think, the real meaning of “turn the other cheek”. Obviously, if my name is Vincent Cooke and my kids are behind me and that maniac is coming at me with a knife, I’m not going to turn the other cheek. Here’s the “if it be possible, as much as lieth in you” comes in again. Because in this case, it needs firm and immediate action, with maximum prejudice.

Before he got right up himself, Phil McGraw [Dr. Phil to devotees] brought out a series of ten lifelaws and these, plus the karma stuff plus the real message of Christianity, are a great blueprint for how to run relations in society. McGraw’s variation of the Romans 12 quote above was that “there is power in forgiveness”.

Nothing pisses off an enemy more than forgiving him. Douglas Adams would have called you a serene bastard. There’s really something in all this, you know and even this karma has something to it. It does come back on you what you do and I think it’s more than wishful thinking. I really like the bit about us knocking on the pearly gates and G-d says, “You denied me while you were alive – why shouldn’t I deny you now?”

Touché.

Karma – good stuff. First, I do believe there’s a karmic and also practical reason for reducing the angst in society. If you look across western society now, what characterizes it? The falling away from the Judaeo-Christian underpinning and thus all the stress, short temperedness, demoralization etc. as the PTB have their own way and virtually enslave us – certainly in the UK, that’s the way it’s going.

It’s almost as if they want us at each other’s throats, failing to compromise, failing to understand, being unreasonable, creating this “simmering” type of cauldron. They really do want to destabilize us because then we’re far easier to manipulate and pick off at random. House divided? One of the ways, in these isles, is to target England and try to break it up, creating hatred between the Home Countries along the way.

Now just imagine that we stuck to our traditions and kids were taught in schools all about the things in this post and no one was particularly interested in robbing this guy’s home at knifepoint or something held him back when he got into a dispute with another guy. Imagine if every single one of us held back and the only people we detested were the politicians, especially the EU ones. They’d try to motivate us and we’d just look up, look at each other, mutter, “Yeah right,” and get back to our businesses or work or fun of some kind.

And think of it as “karma credits” that you’re building up. The Christians say “storing treasure in heaven”. Well, why not? It doesn’t mean being all goody-goody – I think we’d still have our pleasures but maybe if we’d helped an old lady across the road this day against her will or we’d failed to knock some bloke’s head off when he insulted us, we could mentally chalk that one up and the bastards who are trying to create resentment and hatred in the society – look no further than Cameron and Co, Red Ed and the Marxists – would singularly fail to do so.

For many years in Australia it was like that – most people were pretty laid back in my years there and it was difficult for the pollies to get the people riled up. When people were supposed to be so angry, they were sent to Vietnam, it only caused protest and an eventual end to what Holt and others had caused. And in a karmic way, Holt got his. Now it seems as angst-ridden a place as anywhere else in the world.

People point to France as a supposedly Christian country which is so oversensitive and flappable that its history has been one bloodbath after another. It’s worth noting two things – the revolution was brought on, not by Christians but by the other tradition – the godless lost souls and Them. Voltaire played for the other side. That tradition has been equal and opposite right through France’s history of excess. It’s also strong over here. And don’t forget that that was Catholicism rather than Christianity as it was meant to be. Remember the Huguenots?

I’m not teaching or preaching – I’m just saying that there are a lot of good ideas in that tradition of ours and if the majority were to decide they were good traditions again and start to follow them, then the designs of the effing globalists would get absolutely nowhere, the Club of Rome created EU would crumble and fall like the towers of Mordor and all sorts of good things would ensue. The beer would flow, smokers could puff away to their hearts’ content, we’d all be of good cheer and we’d not have to put up with PCists telling us what to do any more.

Sounds a good idea to me.

19 comments for “Karmic retribution

1. P T Barnum
    October 16, 2011 at 4:23 pm

As the unnamed author of Ecclesiastes intones as a mantra, ‘the sun also rises’ [there’s nothing new under the sun]. Ecclesiastes, the Book of the Teacher, was only incorporated, after extensive debate, into the Canon because of its final verse. Apart from that, it’s a meditation on mortality, the transitory nature of life and the inevitability of human death. There’s no evidence that it was written by anyone who had any relationship to Judeo-Christian theology, but shares far more with the non-deistic, non-salvationist traditions of spirituality born of living in close company with the natural world.

• October 16, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I’m perfectly happy for someone else to claim a good idea as their own as long as it is still presented – good ideas simply need to be shown. There are some good things out of Buddhism and I’m quoting some of these in the next few days at my place. The problem comes once we want to start banning things.

• P T Barnum
        October 16, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Given that Ecclesiastes is bracketed by a repetition of the sentiment ‘all is vanity’ (or, in other translations, ‘mere breath’ or ‘senseless’) and asserts the fundamental futility of human existence, I’m not sure there are ‘good’ ideas (as I take you to mean ‘good’) to be found there. It recommends waiting for death/God and watching the transitory world pass by unto death. Beautiful poetry, in either KJV or DRV, but a bit nihilistic in meaning, no?

• October 16, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Yet a fitting topic for consideration.

• P T Barnum
            October 17, 2011 at 12:42 am

[12] The words of the mouth of a wise man are grace: but the lips of a fool shall throw him down headlong. [13] The beginning of his words is folly, and the end of his talk is a mischievous error. [14] A fool multiplieth words. A man cannot tell what hath been before him: and what shall be after him, who can tell him? [Ecc. 10]

• October 17, 2011 at 6:49 am

Yes and no. There is an exhortation where Jesus says don’t worry about the things of the future because they’ll take care of themselves and yet He says elsewhere that you should store up treasure in heaven, i.e. you can take steps now to prevent troubles later, e.g. to save, keep your nose clean etc.

You can’t see the future but you can provide for it.

2. john in cheshire
    October 16, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I’ve started reading the Bible ( I can’t say again because in my life up to now, I’ve only read or had read to me, short tracts; either in Church or in school) and it’s a great read. It’s not what most people would think it is. It’s as good as if not better than, most novels of our day. I just wonder why it has taken me so long to start to read it, as a book, rather than as a Holy Book (which, of course, it is).
    I thoroughtly recommend it to anyone who loves blood and gore, whodunits, romances, poetry, philosophy and history. It’s absolutely wonderful. And the best thing – you don’t have to believe in God to read it. But I do.

• October 16, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Waiting for the detractors here and a quick look at upcoming posts shows that one of the admins will deliver that tomorrow. 🙄 🙄

• October 16, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Au contraire, I agree with JIC. It is an entertaining read and you don’t have to believe in God to get something of of it. Just so long as you bear in mind its history and that it isn’t necessarily literally true.

3. nemesis
    October 16, 2011 at 9:51 pm

desiderata – by max ehrmann
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.

Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann c.1920

• October 16, 2011 at 10:54 pm

To which we could add If.

• P T Barnum
      October 17, 2011 at 12:48 am

Careful, that piece is still in copyright (written in 1927), and the copyright is owned by a litigious relative of Ehrmann.

4. P T Barnum
    October 17, 2011 at 12:52 am

I think this poem is more apposite to our times.

Anti-Desiderata

Go blindly amid the noise and waste,
    and ponder what rewards await you in the future.

As far as possible seek no undue notice from any persons.
    Speak approved truths loudly and opinions vaguely.
    Don’t listen to others, especially the questioning and
    nonconforming – they will always cause trouble.

Be loud and aggressive and force your views on the meek.
    Compare yourself with others, so you know where you stand;
    always there will be those greater few to which you must yield
    and the many lesser persons to dominate.

Exaggerate your achievements, as well as your plans.
    Keep interested only in your own career –
    always seek promotion – your career is your best possession
    in the changing fortunes of business and politics.

Exercise caution in your social affairs,
    for the world is full of backstabbers.
    But let this not blind you to what opportunities there are;
    many trusting persons are there to be taken
    and everywhere life is full of corruption – get your share.

Be not yourself. Especially feign affection.
    Always be cynical about love,
    for in the face of all self-interest and rewards
    it is as deadly as poison.

Resist strongly the counsel of the years,
    never surrendering the irresponsibility of youth.
    Nurture alliances of convenience to provide scapegoats
    in case of sudden misfortune.
    But do not satisfy yourself with imaginings –
    many careers are made by timely threats and betrayals.
    Maintain a self-centered discipline, be ruthless with others.

Yours is a face outside the crowd,
    so much more than the blue-collared and unemployed.
    You must fight to reach and remain on top.
    And whether or not it is clear to anyone else,
    you’ve no doubt that the best must earn their rewards.

Therefore, dutifully mouth the current party line,
    whatever you conceive it to be.
    And whatever your labors and aspirations,
    in the noisy confusion of life,
    always cover your butt as you work behind the scenes.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams,
    it is a fearful and viscous world out there.
    Be careful. Strive to survive.

~ Ed Glaze III

• October 17, 2011 at 6:50 am

Could almost be a modern manifesto.

5. Bruce Charlton
    October 17, 2011 at 8:16 am

Ha Ha!

I am a university teacher and (if you look back you will see that) Bruce Charlton Teaching was a blog used in my job – for temporarily posting and distributing lecture notes, scientific papers etc.

I renamed ‘Bruce Charlton Teaching’ to be a general blog (called Bruce Charlton’s Miscellany, modeled loosely on my penfriend Dennis ‘Mangan’s Miscellany’) but did not notice (until it was too late to change) that the blog URL address had not changed.

Little did I imagine that so much would be read-into the URL…

• October 17, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Sorry Bruce – shall be quoting you from here on then.

6. bgc
    October 17, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Thanks for the graceful apology.

You may, however, find plenty of *other* reasons to dislike my blog if you do happen to start reading it ;=)

(I am an ex-libertarian, now Christian reactionary, so I do pick fights with my old allies from time to time.)

• james Higham
      October 17, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I have read a few pieces and they’re from our corner of the political sphere. I’m the reactionary at this place so we should get on well.