Food For Thought?

Shelagh McKinlay (who blogs at ‘The Absurdist’) on the latest useless piece of ‘research’ on diet:

I once ordered a cheese roll at a cafe in Fife and was astonished to hear the waitress cry: “Once through the hot fat for that cheese roll, Bobby!” Any nation that automatically deep fries its sandwiches must admit it has a problem.

From one café encounter, you generalise to fit a whole nation?

I’ve been to Scotland several times, had many fine meals in coffee shops, at market stalls, attractions, hotels and restaurants and never once – once – have I had anything other than, well, normal food. Some better than others, but never, ever, anything deep-fried.

So, does my experience invalidate hers?

Then there is the fact that the English diet is not necessarily anything to shout about. A quarter of English adults are obese and only 30% eat their five a day.

Well, as we’ve all seen, the definition of ‘obese’ is very much open to question, and the ‘five a day’ thing was blown wide open a few months ago anyway…

Spotted dick, yorkshire pudding, chicken tikka masala; all delicious, sure, but hardly nutritional nirvana.

Not if you eat them every day, and nothing else, no. But hell, even a deep-fried Mars bar won’t do you any harm if it’s an occasional treat and not breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The deadly serious point to this research is that diet in Scotland and the rest of the UK is a major public health issue and public policy must get better at understanding and addressing the reasons for that.

Must it?

I’ve a better idea for you – how about the government accepts that it’s not up to them what people put in their mouths, and so stops funding all this useless ‘research’?

10 comments for “Food For Thought?

1. November 7, 2011 at 12:40 pm

“how about the government accepts that it’s not up to them” ??

Dream on girl! Besides, if that ever happened, what would us bloggers do?

• November 7, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I once heard tell of this strange thing called ‘a life’. 😳

• November 8, 2011 at 5:45 am

The government should look into this ‘life’ thingie at once! 😆

• Lord T
          November 8, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Careful….

2. Dave K
    November 8, 2011 at 11:37 am

My first culinary experience when in Scotland was in a Chippy, where I ordered Steak Pie and Chips and a Mars bar. Both items were put into the fryer. To this day I don’t know if I was set up by my workmates or not. From then on I did specify microwaved pie and raw Mars bar 🙂

• November 8, 2011 at 12:48 pm

‘Raw’ Mars bar! Baahahahahahahaaha! I’ve now got this picture of someone going ‘I’m nae eating tha’. It isnae coooked.’ 😆

• nisakiman
      November 8, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Blimey! Ive never been to Scotland. Do they deep fry their whisky too?

• November 8, 2011 at 9:42 pm

If it’s cliches you’re after, the takeaway in my home town serves two sorts of deep-fried haggis (along with kebabs, falafal or pizza, all deep-fried without discrimination – a truly multicultural establishment!)

The contents of the shop, reading clockwise from the door, consist of ice cream, fags, biscuits, sweeties, fizzy drinks (plenty of Irn Bru, naturally) and, finally, the deep fat fryer, into which I understand it is possible for almost any of the above to be put on request.

• nisakiman
          November 9, 2011 at 9:10 am

Yum! Deep fried ciggys! That’s one up on Lucky Strike – “It’s Toasted” cigarettes. Those Americans are missing a trick!

3. james Higham
    November 8, 2011 at 11:44 am

Sounds a frightening place, Scotland – don’t know how I survived it.