These People Are Driving Me To Drink!

A top doctor has backed calls for a minimum price to be imposed on alcohol.

Brighton and Hove director of public health Tom Scanlon said having less cheap wine, beers and spirits available would be an important step in reducing the impact alcohol has on the city.

Oh, good god! Brighton again. Won’t these people ever stop?

However, he said that all councils around the country would have to join and support the scheme or it would never work.

He said: “There would not be a lot of point if people were told alcohol was more expensive in Brighton and Hove but could simply head over to Worthing and get it there.”

Well, quite!

But I’m sure he’ll have no problem finding fellow NuPuritans in all the surrounding counties.
Do you?

Sussex Police head of licensing Jean Irving said the price and easy availability of alcohol in the city was something the force took seriously.

She said: “If you go out with £5 and say, for example, it costs £1 for a pint then you are going to have five pints.

“However if it costs £2.50, you will only have two.”

Oh, for…

Look, Jean, I’m sure you mostly deal with people who lack all self-control (in the police farce, it’s inevitable), but you know what? That’s not all of us!
If I feel like two pints, I have two pints, and if I feel like five, I have five. Neither of these decisions is related in any way, shape or form to the amount in my pocket!

“Obviously, the cheaper it is, the more people are going to buy it.

“I have seen deals in supermarkets where people are paying the equivalent of 50p for a pint of lager.”

The same old horseshit, trotted out time and time again, despite the fact it’s always easily debunked.

15 comments for “These People Are Driving Me To Drink!

1. Sackerson
    December 28, 2011 at 8:12 am

It plays into the government’s desire to raise more revenue, but if increasing the price did indeed make people give up, the government wouldn’t allow it. It is financial addiction disguised as a compromise between caring and liberalism.

2. Rob F
    December 28, 2011 at 8:55 am

I wish people would drive me to drink.

It’d save me having to walk to the shop.

• Moppy
      December 28, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I wish they would drive me back home, so I can avoid drink driving…

• December 30, 2011 at 10:07 am

Come to Oz and enjoy the delights of what the locals call ‘the drive through bottle-o’. Yep, only in Australia could getting out of the car to buy beer seem like so much effort that the off licences began to copy the fast food restaurants.

3. December 28, 2011 at 8:57 am

The EU isn’t of much use for anything, but minimum pricing is against its regulations. Doubt it will stop them trying though.

• December 29, 2011 at 7:01 am

I’m sure they’ll find a way round it. Don’t understand why they aren’t simply raising the duty, though?

4. bilbaoboy
    December 28, 2011 at 10:32 am

Top doctor?

Who decided the adjective?

Possibly good doctor plays at being cr*p economist

5. ivan
    December 28, 2011 at 10:45 am

The biggest help would be to apply the laws we already have about ‘drunk in a public place’ before they try messing about with the cost. The only problem with that is the police farce would have to do some work.

6. nisakiman
    December 28, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Perhaps if the police abandoned their self-appointed role of gay outreach counsellors and equal opportunities social workers, they’d have time to apply the laws pertaining to ‘drunk and disorderly’ and ‘causing an affray’. But then of course that involves getting close up and personal with people who might not be very nice. And they (the police) might get hurt. Risk management, innit…

“However if it costs £2.50, you will only have two.”

Lordy. Says it all, really. When you have people with that level of understanding in charge, it’s no wonder everything is going down the pan.

• December 29, 2011 at 7:03 am

And I suspect the police don’t bother because…

Well, because of things like this.

7. Junican
    December 28, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Do we notice how the word ‘cheap’ keeps cropping up in the statements of these people? It’s in the template I suppose – just keep saying it, and it will become accepted. I wish someone would tell be where all this cheap alcohol is. £1 for a pint of lager is cheap? Only if you compare it with, say, pub prices. But pubs have far greater overheads than supermarkets. Including various taxes being around 80% of the price, £1 should be around 20p. Then, maybe, lager would be cheap.

• December 29, 2011 at 7:05 am

Yup, it’s conditioning. Just as the Tube has replaced the words ‘normal service’ (i.e. no delays) with ‘good service’.

8. December 28, 2011 at 7:33 pm

The government can’t fix the economy, but want to control lifestyles? Oh pur-lease!

9. Dave G
    December 28, 2011 at 8:53 pm

When will the police be charged with ‘failing to uphold the law’? I believe it IS an offence????

• December 29, 2011 at 7:05 am

When the courts are, I suspect…