Don’t use the cu** word

January 7, 2012 16 Comments
By

Now here’s a good one from the Gaston Gazette, via This is True:

This is no longer cute:

Emanyea Lockett, 9, was suspended from Brookside Elementary School in Gastonia, N.C., for what the school’s principal described as sexual harassment. His crime? According to Emanyea, a substitute teacher overheard him tell another student that a teacher was “cute”. “It’s not like he went up to the woman and tried to grab her or touch her in a sexual way,” said his mother, Chiquita Lockett. “So why would he be suspended for two days?” A district official wouldn’t go into detail, but said Emanyea was suspended for “inappropriate behavior” after making “inappropriate statements.”

This is quite cute:

After a 9-year-old was suspended for supposed “sexual harassment” for referring to a teacher as “cute,” the Gaston County (N.C.) School District said the superintendent had a formal apology for student Emanyea Lockett and his parents, and the suspension has been stricken from the boy’s record. Then the district gave Brookside Elementary School Principal Jerry Bostic one hour to decide: quit, or be fired. “One mistake in 44 years, and I’m not given the benefit of the doubt,” Bostic complained. “I really don’t believe I was treated fairly.” He chose to retire, presumably with a full pension. (RC/WSOC- TV)

Wonder what the thing was here which offended so – the insubordination, the power challenged, the demeaning of womanhood? I mean what actually was the nature of the offence from the offended’s point of view?

Tags:

16 Responses to Don’t use the cu** word

1. john in cheshire
    January 7, 2012 at 8:33 pm

How can a person be forced to resign, after 44 years on such an apparently minor incident?

• January 8, 2012 at 5:56 am

My suspicion is that this wasn’t the only incident of this nature…

• Lord T
        January 31, 2012 at 1:44 pm

If only I was so sure. I think they would have mentioned it.

• Surreptitious Evil
        January 31, 2012 at 4:06 pm

“At will hire” – the normal position of the US workforce (exempting federal employees and some unionised industries.)

They don’t even need a reason to fire somebody, not even one as trivial as this. Offering them the chance to resign was, in those terms, being nice.

2. January 7, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I don’t know whether to be horrified that this happened or relieved that the person responsible was removed. Both I suppose, but it leaves you wondering how much damage he did over the years and how many more there are like him.

3. January 7, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Crikey, I thought you meant the other cu** word, which is indeed not be used as highly ambiguous.

That somebody would take offence on somebody else’s behalf if they are described as cute – which in turn could mean cute as in “a little bunny rabbit is cute” or cute as in “devious smart arse” is news to me.

4. Richard
    January 7, 2012 at 9:49 pm

bugger the lot of the thin skinned gits. :x

5. nisakiman
    January 7, 2012 at 11:18 pm

To me, the whole affair epitomises what is wrong with society today. First you have a total overreaction from the principal (who is obviously brainwashed with the current PC orthodoxy) in suspending a pupil for saying something innocuous, but which could, at a stretch, be construed as being sexist (or whatever). If spoken by an adult, that is.

Then when the parents cry “victimisation!”, the authorities start to tie themselves in knots trying to resolve this PC paradox, and fire the guy because they don’t know what else to do. Prats.

It’s this kind of thing which confirms to me why I don’t, and never will, buy the socialist ideal.

They fuck up everything they touch. Everything.

• January 8, 2012 at 5:56 am

This!

6. Rob F
    January 8, 2012 at 12:47 am

I had a friend, many years ago, who would describe some girls as being ‘cute’, while I would’ve described them as being ‘beautiful’.

Who was being sexist – him, me, or both of us? Or don’t women want compliments any more?

7. john malpas
    January 8, 2012 at 4:17 am

Was it not just an opportunity to get rid of an experienced ( and therefore expensive) teacher and buy a young cheaper one.
    I am surprised that there is not a computer program , officially blesssed,telling what words and phrases are taboo.

8. January 8, 2012 at 5:54 am

Brilliant title!

9. January 8, 2012 at 8:34 am

Agree with comments but John Malpas may well have a point there or rather, this man might have made many decisions they couldn’t fire him for but needed an excuse. His “one mistake in 44 years” is an eye-opener. I’d say he’s made many.

Also, there’s the other side of it:

link to dailymail.co.uk

10. Maaarrghk!
    January 9, 2012 at 5:53 am

James. Is that a picture of you?

Your so cute!

Oops….

11. AndrewWS
    January 31, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Given the boy’s (at first I assumed it was a girl’s) first name, I think we can assume there are some ethnicity issues here – quite possibly the reason why the authorities reacted as they did and the resignation/retirement was so swift.

12. February 1, 2012 at 5:00 pm

My impression about why the speed of resignation was so swift was that it was due to the unwanted international attention on the school for the stupid action. If you read a few of the Gason Gazette articles you quickly build up this picture that the school got very embarrassed about the attention and decided to do something about it. Unfortunately, just like Ed Balls and Sharon Shoesmith, sacking someone very quickly just because you’re embarrassed is likely to bite you in the butt big style. It seems that Jerry Bostic is going to be suing the school.

United Kingdom Time

Email us for now via either James' or Julia's sites until we set up a new email here or follow us on Twitter

Comments policy

No to press regulation

Please sign the petition - click pic: blogoff

Contributors

For more about these renegades, click on the name to go to a short profile:

AK Haart
Angry Exile
Bucko
Chuckles
Churchmouse
James Higham
JuliaM
Sackerson
The Quiet Man
Witterings from Witney

Orphans logo

Feel free to take this for your sidebar.
WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux