Warning to those using Blogger

January 16, 2012 9 Comments
By

Sorry to go on about it but I wonder why bloggers still do it?   Blogger have three ways of commenting:

The full page uses this format:

… and the pop-up this one:

The problem arises when bloggers opt for this format:

Simply put, it doesn’t work for a considerable number of readers, for various reasons. With me, it’s something to do with the Mac perhaps, for others it’s that they don’t use Google. The bottom line is that not only do the bloggers feel that certain readers aren’t interested in his/her blog any more, they’re actually p***ing off those readers and losing traffic. The only way for a reader to deal with it is to take the post in RSS.

What happens is that when you try to sign in with a profile, the result is a nothing. No sign saying you haven’t been accepted – it just ignores you. I shan’t name fellow bloggers who use this [except poor young Ironies here] but it may be why their traffic might be a tad down.

Someone said it’s a Disqus problem and it certainly plays havoc with Telegraph comments, Disqus but whether this is the issue, I don’t know.  Either way, there it is though.  Ball’s in the bloggers’ court.

Tags:

9 Responses to Warning to those using Blogger

1. January 16, 2012 at 9:24 am

This third option doesn’t allow me to comment on iPhone/iPad/work PC either BUT…. if I’m at home on my wireless browser, rather than on 3G, I can!

Nonsense, isn’t it?

• Tattyfalarr
      January 16, 2012 at 11:30 am

I’d like to comment on “National Death Service” occasionally and can’t because I don’t have the requisite accounts to sign into.

It’s like running into a very posh bathroom with chronic diarrhea and finding out too late that there’s no toilet roll :(

2. January 16, 2012 at 10:23 am

I use the pop-up one, this seems to be least faff.

Splendid caption under Jon Huntsman by the way. You know your stuff.

3. January 16, 2012 at 10:38 am

The solution is to be a miserable bastard and not allow comments.

4. January 16, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Worth knowing. I use pop-up.

5. January 16, 2012 at 6:29 pm

James, Thanks for all the advice and especially for the “Young”. I went to the blogger section on Comments and have changed the setting to “Full Page” from “Embedded below Post” we will see if that might help. I had no idea

6. January 16, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I had no idea people were wishing to leave remarks unsuccessfully. I also found a setting where I will in future be notified by email of comments that do get through to Ironies Too, recalling Ironies has been dormant for a long time!!

7. January 16, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Whoops seems the Word press Comment facility posts the remarks part way though! Or is it my dodgy typing?

United Kingdom Time

Email us for now via either James' or Julia's sites until we set up a new email here or follow us on Twitter

Comments policy

No to press regulation

Please sign the petition - click pic: blogoff

Contributors

For more about these renegades, click on the name to go to a short profile:

AK Haart
Angry Exile
Bucko
Chuckles
Churchmouse
James Higham
JuliaM
Sackerson
The Quiet Man
Witterings from Witney

Orphans logo

Feel free to take this for your sidebar.
WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux