Another Solution Looking For A Problem…

The number of people in Sussex addicted to the internet is on the rise.

Is it? Says who?

Psychiatrists in the county are helping to treat a growing number of computer and mobile phone users who cannot tear themselves away from the web.Experts fear that a generation of young people who have grown up with the internet may be stocking up potential health problems for the future.

Ahhh, right. People dedicated to reliving a ‘problem’ are suddenly finding lots of new ‘problems’…

Hove-based consultant psychiatrist David Keating, said: “This is a 21st century addiction. “I have noticed an increase in the number of people coming to me who recognise they have a problem and want to do something about it.“Health professionals have been seeing this develop over the past five years and it is something we fully expect to increase in years to come.”

Like your fees?

11 comments for “Another Solution Looking For A Problem…

1. January 20, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Quote from the Simpsons:
    Marge: I have a gambling problem. Should I get therapy?
    Homer: No. Just don’t do it again.

• January 20, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Bucko has it in one. Why do people seem to find a need to validate themselves somehow these days? Stop playing the victim role – and the put-upon role and the marginalised and offended. Just stop! Contrary to what government would have you believe, we are each responsible for our own actions, inter-actions and their outcomes. Stop playing the victim card and grow up!

• January 21, 2012 at 7:26 am

Why should they, when the victim card is, at the moment, getting them what they want?

2. Paul
    January 20, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Off topic but … could someone please turn off that f**king annoying social share bar, or at least relocate it so it doesn’t obscure the content? Yes, I know, you can hide it, but you have to hid each each and every fucking* time you visit a page.

* Yes, I didn’t censor myself this time but stupid annoyances like this really piss me off.

3. Jeff Wood
    January 20, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I second Paul.

One can, as he says, hide the thing, but if the mouse pointer strays to the wrong place, back it comes like a jack-in-the-box.

4. Chuckles
    January 20, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Thanks Paul, should be ‘Nuked’ now. If not, please let me know people.
    I also loathe the damn things and their ‘stickiness’, I think it snuck in in one of the WP updates, and lay quietly curled up in the corner for a bit, waiting to unleash it’s revenge upon the apostates.

🙂

• January 21, 2012 at 7:26 am

:mrgreen:

5. Able
    January 21, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Is it just me or does anyone else want to know what the actual numbers are instead of “a growing number” and “an increase”? This smacks of the usual ‘shock, horror there has been a massive increase, of people whom we are telling they have a computer addiction because we couldn’t think of anything else to charge them for, of 100%’ (ie. from 1 person to two people).

Obviously these psychiatrists haven’t been getting noticed enough recently so they’re resorting to attention seeking behaviour (maybe a bit of self analysis is called for).

6. January 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm

“People dedicated to reliving a ‘problem’”

Shouldn’t that be “relieving”?

7. January 23, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I would never go to a psychiatrist. I’d rather be insane.