Cogitating at the Castle

January 22, 2012 9 Comments
By

After what seems like an eon I have finally managed to collect the wherewithal to hang out up my tool, kick back and look forward to dossing around for what is left of my natural.

And the thought at the forefront of my “mind” is ‘Where are we going?’, not in the geographical sense because I can’t afford go juice, train fares or bus tickets, and I still have to wait until I am 61 and a third to get a bus pass, but where is battered, bollixed up Blighty going?

Along with other “1940/50s born” I have seen it all; booms, busts, recessions and depressions time and time again, and somehow despite Piss Poor Policies from various political party’s we have managed to emerge with some semblance of a life.

But this lot that we didn’t elect has me worried, I can see the need for cutting spending and reducing the deficit which wasn’t our fault, I can see the need to extend the working span to over sixty five (sort of) but what I can’t see is the need to do it all at once, and be “governed” by people that really don’t give a GNUs gnadgers about the “person” in the street, the old, the young, the sick and the disabled.

The arrogant Knobheads that have managed to push up unemployment while threatening to reduce benefits; put up taxes while allowing big companies to pay a pittance, still allow WBankers to keep our money instead of lending it to small business and watch as they fade into the Brown runny Stuff.

I would give up and move abroad but the rest of Europe is in a worse state than we are apart from the Swiss and who wants to live there (I can by Toblerone in Tesco),

And before you ask I don’t have a clue how to solve the economic crisis, that isn’t my bag, that is reserved for the “experts” who I didn’t vote for and don’t seem to have the faintest idea either.

Rant over….I’m orf to get my tool out and have another cogitate.

Tags:

9 Responses to Cogitating at the Castle

1. January 22, 2012 at 11:31 pm

‘What really gets up my bogle is the attitude of the ConDems who seem to think that we don’t need heat, light, medical treatment, food, education or pensions at a level which is barely adequate until the distant future.’

Sorry, but did Labour? I don’t recall their treating us as human beings with innate value.

2. Able
    January 23, 2012 at 2:10 am

I second Churchmouse, but don’t disagree with you either. I’m of the developed belief that anyone who wants to be a politician should be automatically barred from being allowed to be one, for life’. They are all the same, corrupt, self-serving, mercenary – they just wear different coloured ties. They say “power corrupts…” personally I believe that power attracts the corruptible.

As to the cuts, I believe they are essential if we are ever to get our house in order. The trouble is in the bureaucratic nightmare we live in, the very people deciding just what needs cutting are more interested in sustaining their private bureaucratic fiefdoms than in providing a service. Witness in my own ‘industry’ (the NHS) the rising lay-offs of front-line clinical staff, without the slightest reductions in administrative or managerial (they’re even recruiting more). Where are the reductions in diversity coordinators, environmental monitors, smoking cessation officers? Are they even a part of the service we are supposed to provide?

To say “reducing the deficit which wasn’t our fault” is a fallacy. You (we) voted for these people (although I voted against most of them), voted for their profligate ways bought with benefits, house price rises, services we couldn’t afford. So now we have a situation where people are shouting about the pension and health service contributions they’ve made. So what! all that money was spent before it was in the bank. That money wasn’t an investment, it was just yet another way of taxing us to pay for some politicians pc white elephant.

So now we have a choice, pay the bill as it has come due or hope that rainbows and unicorns will solve the problem (most of the other ideas have as much basis in reality). Either way we’ll have to sort out the political and bureaucratic corruption endemic in this country.

Myself, I think we’ll need a lot of piano wire.

3. January 23, 2012 at 8:15 am

Angus, I strongly advise you not to buy Toblerone in Tesco or ASDA. The large size at the pound shop is just that – a pound – but at ASDA is going for £3.

4. January 23, 2012 at 8:31 am

I accept all points made, but Labour are/were no worse than the ConDems, the thing is they are all the same, and can anyone tell me what this current load of multi millionaire Eton shirt lifters has actually done to imrpove the economy?

No worries James we have a pound shop dahn ‘ere’ in ‘ampshire:)

5. Furor Teutonicus
    January 24, 2012 at 5:21 am

XX Able on January 23, 2012 at 2:10 am

As to the cuts, I believe they are essential if we are ever to get our house in order. XX

Nothing personal, but fucking bollox.

When the various dictatorships of Europe, can throw endless billions at a gang of fat, lazy, greasy, queer, child molesteing,(Ask Plato!) bastards in Athens, then NO “cuts” are needed at all.

6. Able
    January 24, 2012 at 5:56 am

Furor Teutonicus – I understand your point and the ‘nothing personal’ but what is the alternative?

Yes these corrupt idiots are throwing billions of made up money at all the PIIGS, will it help? I doubt it, the collapse is coming whatever scrambling around they do (look at where the money is going, companies and the rich are shifting their cash to America or anywhere not part of the Euro – how bad is it that it makes our and the American economies look safe?).

We have to try and sort ourselves out. Yes, part of that is stopping the political ar**holes from squandering more on projects like that (as well as ‘aid’ to places like India (to build their rockets), or Africa to buy more Mercedes). But consider what we are like at the moment. I work as a front-line clinical nurse, I have eight layers of non-clinical bureaucratic management above me. Why? What do they do? Literally they write letters to each other to make themselves appear busy. Some areas of this country have greater than half the working age population employed by the government, contributing nothing to the economy in any true sense.

I despair at times. If the cutbacks were serious (as in removing all funding for NGO’s, quangos and fake charities, closure of .gov departments, major reductions in .gov staffing), if small business regulations and red-tape were reduced, if education actually educated, and the justice system ever considered real justice, then this country might have a chance. I’m not holding my breath!

Preaching to the choir I know, but I need to vent occasionally, and you’re nominated victim today ;-) I am now climbing off my soapbox.

7. January 24, 2012 at 8:24 am

Can anyone answer my question? ;-)

“can anyone tell me what this current load of multi millionaire Eton shirt lifters has actually done to imrpove the economy?”

• January 24, 2012 at 11:38 am

You answered your own question – what have any of them done? Labour destroy the society and the ConDems continue the “good” work.

• January 24, 2012 at 3:56 pm

So that’s a no then……

United Kingdom Time

Email us at contact orphans of liberty [all one word] at gmail dot com

Authors

For more about these renegades, click on the name to go to a short profile:

AK Haart
Churchmouse
James Higham
JuliaM
The Quiet Man

Orphans logo

Feel free to take this for your sidebar.