Chasing The Troll

The BBC wets its knickers about trolling on the Internet. A snippet of video from Panorama, dramatically titled “Panorama Confronts an Internet Troll” (oooer!) gives us an insight. Apparently someone called Cher (not the Cher) has been subjected to online bullying and is now afraid.

Okay, so I understand what it’s like to be on the receiving end of bullying –  not the trolling on the interwebs, the real thing. My schooldays were made a misery by bullies until I learned to fight back. The Internet bully is rather more easily dismissed. It can be as simple as switching off your computer.

For those who administer sites such as this one, dealing with trolls is so simple even the BBC journalists could manage it. You don’t engage with these people, you simply delete the comments and ban them from making more. Believe me, the average troll grows weary of this pretty quickly. One who thought he would try it on over at mine a few weeks back gave up after about half a dozen comments simply disappeared into the ether.

Chasing them through the streets of Cardiff accusing them of being offensive isn’t the way to do it, really it isn’t. Indeed, I found myself wishing the troll would simply tell them to fuck off back to Salford. After all, as he pointed out, what he is doing isn’t illegal. Yet.

And we pay for this cack.

12 comments for “Chasing The Troll

1. February 7, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Yes but then he tries other means – he contacts people on your blogrolls [I know you don’t run them, LR], he flags your blogs, does all manner of things and the biggy – he never, ever stops. He’s like T1000.

I think if we politically blog and we make strong statements, there are those who will never accept that and dedicate themselves to bringing you down. Sure you can switch off your computer but when you come back to it – because you will – then you see the fox has been in the chickenyard.

Since adopting your spamblocker, it’s been great at my place and our techie has OoL running well but they can still hack at a later stage and the ante is being upped all the time. As we are read and listened to more, so that will increase.

Just goes with the territory really and the old adage about heat and kitchens really does apply in political blogging. I’ve been treated well by Iain Dale [just a name off the top of my head] but I always thought him a bit brittle for a fearless blogger – he really got sucked in a couple of times.

Suppose what I’m saying is never let em see you bleed.

• February 7, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I do have a blogroll, it’s just not very big πŸ˜‰

That said, the basic principle applies – don’t engage, delete and ban. If they contact people on the blogroll, let those people know what is going on and let them manage it as they see fit.

I guess I’ve been fairly fortunate in that on the occasions when I’ve had these people come by, my method has seen them off fairly easily.

• February 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I agree – don’t engage. It isn’t worthwhile and from the troll’s point of view isn’t meant to be.

2. February 7, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I found alternately poking fun at everything trolls write ‘Has da nasty man made oo cross den diddums – bless’ works quite well, then deleting after a couple of days. Refusing to engage and watching them make a total prick of themselves in the comments can also be interesting.

As for chasing one down the street to ‘confront’ them? Why? They’re sad, pointless little attention junkies. It only panders to them.

• February 7, 2012 at 5:26 pm

It only panders to them.

Precisely. And telling someone who clearly doesn’t give a flying fig that what they said was offensive, as if that matters, is just making a dick of yourself in public.

3. Jonathan Miller
    February 7, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I am reminded of Mr Worstall and his ‘ragging on Ritchie’.
    Is that trolling, or legitimate criticism? I reckon the latter, but the retired accountant thinks it is trolling.

• February 7, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Tim’s ragging may be seen as trolling, however, his points are valid and his arguments rational. The very opposite of trolling.

• February 8, 2012 at 7:08 am

Verging on flaming, possibly, but certainly not trolling. At least I don’t think so, but maybe the two things are starting to become synonymous. The MSM seem to treat them as the same thing.

• February 8, 2012 at 10:02 am

The MSM tend to treat vigorous disagreement – particularly if it is right wing – as trolling.

• February 8, 2012 at 10:25 am

Yeah, that’s how it is, but I don’t understand why when flaming was a perfectly good term for vociferous disagreement that includes some name calling. If I call someone at the BBC a feckless lefty softcock I’m not trolling for a reaction, I flaming him for being a softcock. And a lefty. And useless.

• February 8, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Because, by and large, the MSM consists of ignorant twats who cannot be bothered to do even the most basic of research, always going for the easy option?

4. sovereigntea
    February 11, 2012 at 5:58 pm

The BBC and other MSM have been promoting the issue of online bullying / trolling with increasing frequency. Might they be creating the pretext for further regulation and monitoring or even to introduce some inept identity verification system that we will be forced to work around and nullify.

The solution if that is really what they seek is blatantly obvious and already within the users capability either block the bullies ignore them or just log off.

As ever a non problem looking for a solution. The viewers will fall for it time and time again baa baaa baaaa