Better off out

Revamped site – check it out:

This is a private post by James and doesn’t necessarily reflect the views of other admins or authors.

11 comments for “Better off out

1. May 11, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Hmm.

I don’t want to offend anyone, especially James, but the SITE looks SOMEWHAT HYSTERICAL AND ANGRY!!!!!

The mixed print over the main picture looks great — typeface, layout and message could attract a younger audience, which is what anti-EU supporters need. Also, at the risk of sounding ageist, are the middle-aged and older men on the Supporters page going to attract university students, young graduates and — dare one say it — women?

The SIGN UP NOW and LEAVING … LEARN MORE uppercase bold print just looks ranty and weird.

The site should draw people in, NOT ALIENATE THEM.

I’m also not sure about the name of the movement itself, which seems quite negative as does some of the messaging (as it’s called in marketing-speak).

Note that no one has updated the blog since October 2011. Zzzz. Or should that be ZZZZ!!!

Sorry, not a site that I would revisit or recommend.

• May 12, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Never be concerned about offending me – honest opinion if better than any adherence to fear of offending.

• May 12, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Okay, thanks — that’s good to know!

Are the creators of this Better Off Out website going to visit this post to consider our advice? I hope so.

2. Wolfie
    May 11, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Yes, needs more chill factor in that design.

3. May 11, 2012 at 10:54 pm

They mean well …….

• May 11, 2012 at 11:58 pm

If I were doing it, I would leave the central picture and text as is and ask questions: ‘Do you know how much you’re contributing to the EU every year?’ ‘Do you know that most of your fish and a lot of your meat are being sent to Europe?’ Things like that could really start a discussion either at the smoky-drinky or down ‘t’pub.

4. Tattyfalarr
    May 12, 2012 at 12:35 am

There is no symetry to the layout so my eyes are going in different directions leaving me bock-eyed. I find yellow an angry colour.

I’d put the yellow and blue stuff to one side only (apart from that bit at the very top), focus the stories and people’s attention to the centre and put the “sign-up” to the right then stretch the main image and media stuff into top and bottom banners to balance it all up.

As is it’s making me a bit queasy and I would like to attempt to read it if changes were made. 🙂

5. dfordoom
    May 12, 2012 at 1:47 am

I agree with churchmouse – a more positive name reflecting positive values like independence would be helpful.

6. Greg Tingey
    May 13, 2012 at 8:36 am

Bad lay-out and design.
    As suggested – it needs a “ccoler” approach, with clear flow-routes to specific areas of interest

7. wilfulsprite
    June 3, 2012 at 12:05 pm

It’s an awful site, but also, there used to be a (very small) list of MP’s who support BOO, and it appears to have been reduced to a handful. What’s going on with them? Even the link from TFA (The Freedom Association) site to BOO is broken.
    You would think at this time, there would be more supporters than ever, but it’s shameful that in a democracy, so few of our hundreds of ‘democratic’ MP’s are Eurosceptic.

• June 3, 2012 at 12:13 pm