The cookie monster

Our techie pointed us to this article, which gives the ICO reasoning behind our new privacy policy regarding cookies, which you can find in the navbar above.

Longrider writes:

It is now a legal requirement for websites to let users know about cookies on their sites and what information they gather –  and to give users to option of opting out. I did put up a checkbox thing yesterday, but given that I have the option of merely advising people which uses implied consent, I’ve decided to do that.

Frankly, I don’t think that WordPress does anything too dramatic with cookies anyway. Certainly I am not using anything that tracks your browsing habits in order to sell you stuff you never knew you didn’t want.

That’s right.  As we all know, it’s a bit of a w*** , this ICO is just trying on or else it’s bureaucracy running away with itself again or all of that but hey – it’s so today, isn’t it?  It does look though as if the major dailies and our techie have it right and so you might like to think of what you do on your own sites to comply with the new law.

Please feel free to copy and paste our text which is, after all, just lifted from the article linked at the top.

This is a personal post, not one from the admins.  By the way, was it concise enough?  😉

6 comments for “The cookie monster

1. May 27, 2012 at 11:20 am

Clicked on your thingy, as long as you don’t disclose my “private” visits to certain websites all is OK.

Don’t have a cookie do-dah on the blog, don’t need it, and even if I did I wouldn’t put one up, let the buggers find me and prosecute.

2. ivan
    May 27, 2012 at 2:04 pm

This new directive only does something – maybe – for those that don’t, or can’t, think for themselves. Even then 99.99% of those faced with the prompt will click OK, or whatever it is, because that is what they always do.

The very few of us that manage cookies see no change.

3. Tatty
    May 28, 2012 at 12:51 pm

test

4. Tatty
    May 28, 2012 at 12:56 pm

…ok. I didn’t tick the box and can still read and post. So what is the point/purpose of the tickbox ?

5. C
    May 28, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I have cookies set to block third-party and ask permission first-party for all new sites. Most sites I go to I generally end up blocking all cookies initially – I know where to change the setting if I eventually wish to make a post, like now.
    So, I come here and get the new message at the top. If I ignore it – all cookies are blocked anyway – it doesn’t go away. If I check the box, the site still can’t set cookies because they’re already blocked, so it doesn’t go away.
    As far as I can see, my management of cookies means I will now be constantly nagged by sites to allow them whether they’re blocked or not. And the ICO/EU think this will improve my surfing experience… 🙄

6. Peter Whale
    May 28, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Your called “Orphans Of Liberty” Why let them take liberties ? Tell them to fuck off and put your blog into the USA.