Storm In A Teacup?

The word was used during a lunchtime news bulletin on February 26 about Prime Minister David Cameron hosting a summit on tackling racism in sport.

Twenty viewers complained to ITV and four to broadcasting watchdog Ofcom after the gaffe on the ITV1 programme.

ITV executives quickly apologised on Twitter, edited the word from the news report and removed the word from the report that appeared on the ITV News website.

They gave warnings about use of the word to the producer, programme editor and reporter.

OMG! What was the word? Was it the ‘F’ word? The ‘C’ word?

Well, OK, it was the ‘C’ word. But not the one you might be thinking

Richard Pallot, who reportedly earns £40,000 a show, said ‘coloured’ twice during the ITV programme as he talked about racism in the game.

Yeah. Me neither.

An ITV spokesman said: ‘The reporter’s use of the term ‘coloured’ was inappropriate and we do not defend its use.’It was an editorial misjudgement and we apologise to those who were understandably offended by the use of this term.’

Why not just tell them to harden the f*** up?

10 comments for “Storm In A Teacup?

1. June 7, 2012 at 8:02 am

Are we allowed to say “tinted people” then?

• DerekP
      June 7, 2012 at 6:06 pm

In my limited experience ‘coloured’ people have maintained their colour, whereas ‘white’ people seem to vary.

So I’m not surprised if a specific ‘white’ person I know is pale from shock, pink with anger, lightly or deeply tanned, or even sunburnt a lobster-red. I just don’t see that variance in ‘coloured’ people so I see no harm in referring to them as ‘coloured’ ‘cos they stick to one colour!

I certainly don’t see the expression as derogatory, anymore than calling someone completely lacking in skin pigmentation an albino.

• June 8, 2012 at 5:39 am

It’s a complete nonsense, merely designed to control and keep people off their guard. If only the media didn’t run scared of the pressure groups, it’d never work…

2. Jack Savage
    June 7, 2012 at 8:32 am

Whilst the fuss about it is spectacularly stupid…I do find the use of the word “coloured” to be annoying.
    To be annoying in my turn, when it is used in any conversation I am taking part in I always ask what colour these “coloured” people are.

That is why they call me “Jacky No-Mates”….

• June 7, 2012 at 1:29 pm

“We’re all coloured or you wouldn’t be able to see us”

Don Van Vliet, aka Captain Beefheart (RIP)

I told this to an Indian guy sitting next to me on a plane to Canada, and he near wet himself.

• June 8, 2012 at 5:39 am

😛

3. Furor Teutonicus
    June 7, 2012 at 10:25 am

If they could bloody decide just what they DO want to be called, and bloody STICK to it for longer than a coons dick, then we may have a chance of gettting it “right”.

(Like I fucking care what the wogs think any way,….but….)

• Pissed-off
      June 7, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Bloody PC = Cultural Marxism = Frankfurt School = NWO Wannabes – you’ve hit the nail on the head.

Now that wanker Milliband wants us to talk about “Englishness” – What would he or the two most recent Labour Prime Ministers know about that I wonder?

• June 7, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Especially the one from North Britain…

• Robert the Biker
      June 7, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Much more of this shit and we’ll have to walk about with colour charts and refer to them as a certain Angstrom unit*.

*Refering to a level of brown. 😆