You Must Respect Us As You Hand Us Your Money!

So sayeth Magatte Wade, who decides to use the pages of CiF to heap scorn on those who do claim to do good works. Not because the money gets diverted and subverted, but because she loathes the attitude with which it’s given by ‘those from privilege’:

Last Saturday I spoke at the Harvard Women in Business Conference, an annual event that I love.

And not a hotbed of privilege?

Later, during a discussion on Going Global, a young woman asked, “For the Americans on the panel, how do you deal with being a person of privilege while working in global development?” My eyes lit up with fury as she directed her question specifically at the white Americans on the panel. I let them answer, then smiled and added with a wink: “I am an American, you know, and also a person of privilege.” She instantly understood what I meant.

Really? Or did she just think ‘Wow! I won’t ask this shrill harridan any more questions’…?

Her question assumed that those of us in developing nations are to be pitied. I know as a Senegalese that her attitude is precisely what disgusts us about many who work at NGOs.

So…you speak for all the Senegalese nation, do you? I thought, a minute ago, you were an American?

Every year we see thousands of “privileged” young Americans and Europeans eager to come “help the underprivileged”. Don’t they understand how contemptuous that is?

Well, no, they probably do it for all sorts of reasons, some selfless and some selfish, but I rather doubt any of them look at starving children and cataract-ridden elderly people and think ‘Nah, me helping them to get food or an eye operation is just treating them with contempt’…

Why, next this woman will claim that it’s racist to..

Oh:

For many of those who “care” about Africans, we are objects through which they express their own “caring”. This “caring” is just as objectifying as old-fashioned racism.

Well, at least she didn’t bring up the slave tra..

Oh, for heaven’s sake!

If you approach me with a worldview in which you are privileged and I need your help, there is no possibility of an authentic relationship. You may as well see yourself as the master and me as the slave.

So, does she advocate that we stop all aid and all charity to Africa?

Oh, no, she thinks they should continue to get your money. But they should also get your respect as well, if you want to keep your job, that is:

I know that there are countless people in the NGO world that have done a great deal of good. But I would like to propose that NGOs either refuse to hire, or simply fire, anyone who has a condescending attitude towards the poor.

How on earth are they going to establish that?

11 comments for “You Must Respect Us As You Hand Us Your Money!

1. October 24, 2012 at 8:07 am

I’d say she wants to have her cake and eat it but I realise that it’d be racist of me … somehow.

• David
      October 24, 2012 at 9:17 am

Fuck the lot of them. As someone who used to regularly donate to African causes (oops – there’s me being ‘racist’) and even considered volunteering with the VSO, as far as I’m concerned the bastards can starve to death now. It seems that the more they get the more ‘respec’ they demand. Let them stand on their own two trillion feet. I’m sick to the back teeth of their attitude.

2. Robert theBiker
    October 24, 2012 at 8:17 am

Tell the shrill whiny harridan to shove her opinions and refuse to either assist or contribute to any cause she is involved with.
    Shove your ‘racism’ you bigoted anti-white cow and shove the PC afirmative action BS that got you to your position.

3. ivan
    October 24, 2012 at 9:37 am

Ah! one of the infamy brigade – they’ve all got it in for me.

One thing I do agree with – all the NGOs should be abolished and the people allowed to stand on their own feet. At the moment the NGOs require a poor, starving people to rake in the millions from the limp liberal left apologist governments.

• October 24, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Indeed. Africans are saying just this; trade, not aid.

4. October 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm

“”I know that there are countless people in the NGO world..””

Correct. And it’s time to get rid of the lot of them. 👿

• October 24, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Every last one of the nasty little parasites.

5. Tatty
    October 24, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Keep biting the hand that feeds and eventually it’ll smack you in the gob. Hopefully.

6. October 24, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Slavery is still going on in Africa and it ain’t privileged whitey who is doing it…

7. Twenty_Rothmans
    October 24, 2012 at 10:30 pm

They deserve nothing from us, in the same way you don’t give to a junky or a screaming drunk for nothing. Africans don’t understand this, and sadly many politiians don’t either.

I wasn’t born black, so the cross I bear is that I don’t have that to fall back on if things don’t work out. I was born into a life of privilege, so could I please opt out of giving these people any more? I’d prefer to give it to some deserving, non-whining railway children in the slums of Bangkok – which I do anyway.

Still, I shan’t go too hard into any ungrateful, useless shits who must have had an interesting ‘tease name’ at school – ‘Magette’ is just too easy. But why bully someone for a silly name when they are stupid?

@David
    When I first visited Trafalgar Square many years ago, I fed the pigeons, which promptly swarmed me and shat on me. I learned my lesson too.

8. October 25, 2012 at 8:28 am

“You Must Respect Us As You Hand Us Your Money!”

Maybe they copied that idea from the landowning classes? The ones who make you call them “Sir” or “Lord” and bow down when you speak to them?