Comments Policy

November 18, 2012 7 Comments
By

A recent thread was in danger of degenerating into an insult-fest. Generally, the disagreements here are good natured and that is the atmosphere we want to keep. We should be able to discuss sensitive subjects without flame wars ensuing. We have a comments policy in place for a reason. For the most part, we are pretty relaxed about it and have been pleased with how well most people engage, but every so often someone crosses the line.

That happened today and I was forced to issue warnings. It’s a small point, but if the admin of a discussion site tells you that you will be banned if you insult people, it’s probably not wise to respond with an insult…

Anyway, please carry on, but bear in mind the comments policy regarding personal insults. And freedom of speech? This is private property and our rules apply. We prefer not to have slanging matches and flame wars, thanks all the same.

Thank you.

7 Responses to Comments Policy

1. nisakiman
    November 18, 2012 at 9:58 pm

It’s always a tricksy one, this freedom of speech thingy. However, it should be possible to discuss even a highly charged topic without resorting to argumentum ad hominem, and I think it is reasonable to ask that discussion be kept to the subject in hand, rather than to an attack on the person opining.

But tricksy to justify, nonetheless.

• November 19, 2012 at 8:13 am

Actually, I find it easy to justify. Say what you like – make a robust argument indeed, but don’t start flaming or insulting as neither is necessary and neither furthers your argument. Ultimately, it degrades the discussion.

It’s the old shitting on the carpet thing. If you come into my home and shit on the carpet, I am within my rights to eject you.

Martin used a throwaway comment from QM as an excuse to insult everyone with whom he disagreed. His response to my admonitions to behave or he would be banned was to insult me. He discovered very swiftly that I will always carry out any threat I make and has been ejected with a print of my boot firmly implanted on his arse. I have no qualms about it nor do I need to justify it. he couldn’t behave and wouldn’t be told. Tough shit.

The above post is merely a reminder to those who would follow his lead.

2. Tatty
    November 18, 2012 at 11:26 pm

**WARNING ! THIS POST CONTAINS PROFANITIES !!**

I dunno what’s gone on as I’ve been away for the weekend but on the subject of banning flamers and trolls ? Fairy ’nuff, says I.

This “Right To Speech” is NOT a “Right To Be Heard, Responded To OR Tolerated”.

Drawing a sharp line at abuse that is purely for the sake of abuse is the right thing to do. Permanently, if necessary. Your house, your rules.

Banning from a blog, chatroom or forum isn’t so much censorship as just not listening anymore.

After all, the internet is HUGE and they can always find another doorstep to go and shit on :|

• November 19, 2012 at 8:16 am

Precisely. Or, of course, start their own blog, chatroom etc.

3. November 19, 2012 at 10:36 am

I fully support the fellow admins in their decision. They run things well in my eyes.

I’m a classical liberal in the sense of as much freedom as poss as long as it doesn’t harm the thing you’re trying to do. That is always a fine line.

In school, I asked my staff not to automatically say no unless there was a cogent reason for it they could defend. Not hitting another child was one of those. Just saying no for the sake of it was not.

The needle on the dial from authoritarian to licence should be set over on the side of freedom and allowed to oscillate back and forth a bit according to the circumstances.

However, limits are also useful to know and every child likes to know them so he can push against them. For adults, it’s just common decency I should have thought.

4. November 19, 2012 at 12:43 pm

G’wan, point us the direction of the Fight Club. I don’t know which thread you mean.

• November 19, 2012 at 12:59 pm

The one immediately preceding this one.

United Kingdom Time

Email us at contact orphans of liberty [all one word] at gmail dot com

Authors

For more about these renegades, click on the name to go to a short profile:

AK Haart
Churchmouse
James Higham
JuliaM
The Quiet Man

Orphans logo

Feel free to take this for your sidebar.