Remember This When You See Those Pleading RSPCA Adverts…

…you know the ones. They’ve been appearing in newspapers over the last few days: ‘Without your help, we’ll have to stop helping animals!’.

Because it’s too much to expect them to cut down on their use of consultants, their political campaigns or maybe downsize to a smaller HQ building, I suppose? And when haven’t they been whinging about money?

Snieguole Ghuman, 50, took her white Alsatian, Simba, seven, to Starz Grooming Salon, on Southbourne Grove, for a wash and brush last Saturday, October 27, but the dog was returned to her without any fur on its body.

When she asked why, Snieguole was told that Simba’s fur was too matted to brush and so it had to be shaved off, for which she would be charged £70.

They weren’t pleased. As I wouldn’t be, either. Nor were they pleased that the grooming parlour contacted the RSPCA!

Her daughter, Bridget Pritchett, 28, who spoke to Daily Echo on her mum’s behalf, said: “The owner of the salon said that his coat is really matted and so she contacted the RSPCAabout it.“But the lady who came from the RSPCA said it is fine, although she had never seen such a thick coat on an Alsatian. She could understand that it may get tangled, as he goes in the sea and mud a lot.”

And that wasn’t the end of it. Two, it seems, can play at that game.

“Mum also had to take him to the vet’sbecause he had some blood coming off his legs.“So it has gone from her reporting our dog to the RSPCA, to us reporting her. ”

Lovely!

Georgia Barnett, 19, who runs Starz, said: “ I’ve never seen a dog with such matted fur.“She had no choice and back in March it was so matted then and I told her that.

“I don’t care what my customers think. I don’t take any notice of what the owners want, I want to do what is best for the dog and their welfare and happiness.

“I phoned the RSPCA and they said that it was the right thing to do. ”

Well, of course they did!

A spokesperson for the RSPCA confirmed that they had received a complaint but said would not comment further while the issue was under investigation.

So remember that next time you see a begging bowl. This is what they are going to be spending their money and time on. I don’t know about you, but it doesn’t fit within my definition of cruelty or ill-treatment.

But this does.

11 comments for “Remember This When You See Those Pleading RSPCA Adverts…

1. Derek
    November 20, 2012 at 10:58 am

I have not given anything to the RSPCA for many years, and have no intention of doing so in the future. They are now nothing but a load of jumped up politically motivated thugs. Whenever you hear of someone being prosecuted for mistreating elephants, remember, elephants are big, and they would have no qualms about killing anyone who mistreated them. We unfortunately have a judiciary that seams to think that if the RSPCA says something, it must be true.

• November 20, 2012 at 11:56 am

Agreed. Another once laudable charity has been done over. Pretty much the only charity I give to these days is the RNLI

• November 20, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Only charity I give to is the RNLI as they saved my cat and I off the Mull of Kintyre.

2. November 20, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Georgia Barnett, 19, who runs Starz, said: “ I’ve never seen a dog with such matted fur. I don’t care what my customers think. I don’t take any notice of what the owners want…”

I’m probably being ageist here, but does anyone else think Ms Barnett sounds like a right little spoilt madam?

I wonder exactly how she phrased that call to the RSPCA, and whether they have the same principles as Childline about never disbelieving a story of abuse.

(FWIW, this sounds to me like an inexperienced youngster making an increasing hash of a difficult job and resorting to a drastic solution to escape a claim for compensation).

• November 20, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Indeed. I don’t think she’ll be running Starz for much longer with an attitude like that

3. David A. Evans
    November 20, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Only charity I give to is the PDSA. All the rest have gone to the dogs. 😉

4. malade
    November 20, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I no longer give to them since their cowardly stance on halal savagery.

5. wiggiatlarge
    November 20, 2012 at 1:38 pm

The RSPCA part of this story is an issue by itself, the grooming parlour should have told the owner that it was not possible to comb out the dog as it was to matted and waited for a response.
    This happens all the time with owners who do not look after their dogs, many years ago when I was involved in training dogs a grooming parlour in Romford Essex the owners of which I knew and who showed Afghans had one of the breed bought in for grooming that was so matted it could only be sheered like a sheep and it came of in one piece, it was washed and kept and shown as a detterent to others who continually bought in dogs in a disgusting condition, did it make any difference, no, other breeds with shorter coats can also end up in a condition that is not groomable.

6. ReefKnot
    November 20, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Until the RSPCA change their attitude towards the barbaric Halal slaughter of animals and start to prosecute the owners of ponies seen neglected and tethered on waste ground, I will not give them a single penny. My charitable donations go to RNLI, Air Ambulance, and the Scout movement.