You’re ‘Offended’, Eh…?

December 18, 2012 18 Comments
By

A pub has apologised after a “misguided” advertising campaign that seemed to condone rape.

And you won’t believe how…

The Hobgoblin pub in London Road had put up posters in the pub and online advertising its “Festive Frape” promotion.Customers were invited to use the pub’s name in the status section of their Facebook pages and encourage friends to “like” the comment in exchange for a free shot.

The promotion was based on the colloquial phrase Frape, which means to post on someone’s Facebook wall without their permission.

Now, if you are thinking only a total cretin or a radical feminist could possibly say that this ‘seemed to condone rape’ you be right.

However, in Britain, it seems we have lots of ‘em:

But several people contacted the pub complaining the poster, which could be easily misread as festive rape, was offensive and normalised the term rape.Others took to Facebook and Twitter to condemn it.

*sigh* Of course they did…

Could the paper find one of these living brain donors to interview? Reader, they could.

Nicole Healing was one of the first to spot the poster and complain to the pub.

She said: “I remain astonished that any person would deem this suitable for marketing purposes and seemingly not realise the offence it could cause.

“This is not simply tongue-in-cheek frivolity, but an affront to all victims of sexual abuse and sexual crime.”

And as we all know, a furore isn’t a furore these days unless there’s a ‘charity’ battening on it like a vampire:

Some people contacted the charity Survivors’ Network, which supports female survivors of sexual violence and abuse.A spokeswoman said: “The majority of people who saw the poster and Facebook page would know someone who has been raped at some point in their life and would find the use of the terms unacceptable, offensive and distasteful.

“We are encouraged by the public outrage about this campaign and the pub’s swift response to apologise and to remove all connected publicity material. Our message for the festive season is simple, rape is wrong – don’t joke about it, don’t condone it, don’t do it.”

Cue grovelling apology from the pub managers, and some baksheesh for the ‘charity’:

“On reflection it was naive to use an urban phrase that could be misinterpretedin this way.”The pub has pledged to donate £250 to a local rape victim’s charity.

You should have told them Stephen Fry’s little homily on being offended instead…

Tags: , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to You’re ‘Offended’, Eh…?

1. December 18, 2012 at 9:20 am

To be fair, given that there is only one “F”, the poster does read as “Festive rape”.

• Tatty
      December 18, 2012 at 11:08 am

I hadn’t seen the poster when I commented…the phrase alone is simply distasteful only an idiot would use in conversation as a way of mugging up to other facebook users so I stand by what I said below.

But that depiction of it ? *That* is downright offensive and it’s clearly meant to be.

• David A. Evans
        December 18, 2012 at 11:33 am

It’s quite common advertising practice where two words starting with the same letter have that letter spanning both words.
        Sometimes it’s done in the middle of words too.
        Thoughtless I would say.
        DaveE.

2. mona
    December 18, 2012 at 9:31 am

I love being offended ,I just could not face a day without being offended, a day without being offended is offensive, if there is a possibility of not being offended during the the day I will watch the BBC News they are gut turningly offensive those smug bastard newsreaders and for real offensiveness I will try to listen to something about the prince of bullshit Cameron.

• mikebravo
      December 18, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I am deeply offended by your gratuitous offensiveness and I thank you for it.

3. Tatty
    December 18, 2012 at 9:50 am

Hm…yeah…have to confess I’ve never liked the word “frape” for the simple fact it’s just plain old-fashioned bad taste that wrinkles the nose in “mild disapproval”, if there is such a thing anymore. I mean, does everything have to fall neatly on the side of “totally acceptable” or “utterly offensive”. ? We don’t have a middle ground, anymore ?

It doesn’t even make any sense to use the word when people are to write their own status on their own FB page. In that sense it’s more akin to a mass wank. (sorry mam)

So, it’s hardly “ an affront to all victims of sexual abuse and sexual crime.” and as an advertising strategy it stinks of sheer laziness.

Then again, how clever do you have to be to appeal to the lowest common denominator of the Brain Dead & Permanently Pissed who inhabit Ye Olde Towne of Facebook.

It boils down to little more than tacky and cheap publicity…even if it did end up costing them £250…to get it to go viral like this.

TBH I’d never have even known about it if Julia hadn’t mentioned it and not least because I’m not on facebook anymore. :lol:

4. ivan
    December 18, 2012 at 10:18 am

The inability to read what is written from pupils of an education department that is not fit for purpose.

5. Jonathan Miller
    December 18, 2012 at 2:20 pm

The poster does say ‘festive rape’. At least to any normal person reading it.

I think the ‘living brain donors’ are more likely to be those who spend sufficient time on facebook etc. to know what the word ‘frape’ is supposed to mean; particularly those who then, having seen the poster, actually decide to run with it as an advertising campaign for their pub. :shock: :shock: :shock:

6. December 18, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Actually, it is a very badly designed poster because even having read your post first – it does look like Festive Rape. Bloody silly.

7. Budvar
    December 18, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Being the latest definition of the word “Rape” is waking up next to someone after a right night on the lash and having that “Oh no, I didn’t did I” moment, and being a serial rape victim at least under this definition, I find this ad campaign highly offensive….

8. December 18, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Perhaps “Festive Frappé” would be a better idea.

9. cascadian
    December 18, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Chalk up another victory for the hard of thinking.

10. December 18, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Should ‘rapeseed oil’ be renamed? I find the juxtaposition of ‘rape’, ‘seed’ and ‘oil’ immensely offensive. The imagination boggles.

• Chuckles
      December 19, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Canola please Junican, canola.

11. johnnyrvf
    December 19, 2012 at 3:25 am

Pathetic, how ridiculous that something that a publican thought might be clever niche advertising has been gorged upon by the needy easily offended on behalf of others righteous of Brighton. It was a great place ……. 40 years ago, but now, just another English town sliding toward 3rd world ghettohood.

12. Furor Teutonicus
    December 19, 2012 at 3:22 pm

XX Nicole Healing was one of the first to spot the poster and complain to the pub.XX

“ME FIRST! ME FIRST! Do I get the compo prize??”

13. moonrakin
    December 19, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Time for Scunthorpe to be re-named methinks

14. December 20, 2012 at 1:11 am

Reads “Festive rape” to me (perhaps especially since I didn’t know what frape was, but even if I had I expect I would have read it as Festive rape.)

Stupid. Not really an issue about the defence of liberty, just a bit of stupidity.

United Kingdom Time

Email us at contact orphans of liberty [all one word] at gmail dot com

Authors

For more about these renegades, click on the name to go to a short profile:

AK Haart
Churchmouse
James Higham
JuliaM
The Quiet Man

Orphans logo

Feel free to take this for your sidebar.