Influence? What influence?

December 23, 2012 9 Comments
By

The BBC desperately leapt upon a pronouncement by a Norwegian minister to try and pour cold water on EUskeptic claims that the UK could do a ‘Norway’ when it comes to leaving the EU but continue to trade with them. The clue to the Norwegian ministers true allegiance is in the narrative though, which does not help the BBC case…

BBC.

Norway’s foreign minister has urged the UK to assess the advantages of staying in the European Union, rather than consider leaving.
Norway is not an EU member but has access to the single market. UK euro-sceptics use it as a model for how the UK could relate to the EU from outside.
But Foreign Minister Espen Eide said Oslo had “limited scope for influence”.
“We are not at the table when decisions are made,” he told Radio 4′s The World This Weekend.
Mr Eide is pro-EU, though Norwegian voters have twice rejected the chance to join the EU in referendums in 1972 and 1994.

Well gosh a pro EU Norwegian minister is encouraging us to stay in the EU, well what a surprise, who would have thought it?

Thing is, even though we’re in the EU, we don’t have any real influence, the thing is controlled by bureaucrats for bureaucrats and the politicians just go along for the cash ride and as for the ordinary people, well they get to do as they are told, ignored by those who think they really count. These are the people who believe that rights are given to people by the state (hence all the petty rules) rather than the state being held accountable by the people by those rights. It’s why the continental system of laws (based mostly upon the Code Napoleon) cuts right across the Anglo Saxon system that developed in England where on the continent you are not permitted to do anything unless it’s allowed compared to a system where you can do what you like provided it’s not forbidden.

Slowly over the years our civil service and bureaucrats have moved us from the Anglo Saxon system to the continental one which gives them a greater degree of control over us and then wonder why we don’t like it. After all, from their point of view what’s not to like? They tell us what to do and don’t have to face up to their mistakes, except for the odd revolution, but that’s what politicians are for when it comes to decorating the lampposts time.

Politicians are foolish and occasionally power hungry, but the danger to our rights usually comes not from politicians but from those they’ve appointed to put policy into action, they are the ones who write policy to get it voted upon, they are the ones who really need watching…

9 Responses to Influence? What influence?

1. john in cheshire
    December 23, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Apart from the pro-EU faction in Norway, judging by what I read at the Gates of Vienna blog, Norway is one seriously deranged country. I’d not take any advice from such a place, until they regain their mental faculties. And I’m not talking about their home-grown mass-murderer, I’m talking about how they react to anyone who disagrees with their dysfunctional socialist view of life.

2. December 23, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Good post. I’m reminded of Vidkun Quisling and his fate when the war was over.

3. Furor Teutonicus
    December 24, 2012 at 11:12 am

XX ou are not permitted to do anything unless it’s allowedXX

DAMN BLOODY RUBBISH!!!!

Think of the impossibility of running such a legal system

I cross the road and step off with my left foot first. Can I therfore be arrested, because the “law does not say you can do that”?

Why is the most seen sign in Germany “XYZ’ VERBOTTEN”. If your theory was true, it would be “XYZ’ ERLAUBT.” ?

Art: 2 I GG. (Grundgesetz) “Jeder kann tun und lassen was er will.
    ” Each person can do, and let be done, what he wishes, UNLESS it is against the law”.

Art 104 GG. “Danach kann die Freiheit der Person nur aufgrund eines förmlichenGesetzes und nur unter Beachtung der darin vorgeschriebenen Formen beschränkt werden.”
    The freedom of the person can only be taken away through a formal law, and under the conditions set out under that law.” (It has been found by appeal, that in this case “freedom from arrest” can also be taken to mean any legal penalty. So, NO one may be arrested, or be penalised for any act, or ommission, for which there is no law.)

Now, what was that total lot of wank you were spouting again?

4. David A. Evans
    December 26, 2012 at 3:25 am

There is no correct thread for this…
    Has anyone noticed that Agenda 21 has been disappeared from the UN website?

DaveE.

• December 26, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Don’t know about the UN site but what I have noticed is that often when I return to this site the versions of the posts are older versions, missing many later comments. Then if I shut down the browser and restart the same thing often occurs, even though I know that many other comments had been present previously. So I began getting paranoid thinking my comments, and those of others, were being deleted, but then later on would find they were back again. Something strange is happening with the software. For example, James Higham recently left a comment saying he had left a statement on some other thread, but I can’t find it anywhere (which may be just as well :) ) and it never appeared in the Latest Comments list. Glitches are certainly at work, perhaps at the UN as well as here.

• December 26, 2012 at 6:44 pm

and… I tried three times to post a comment on the “Counterproductive” post this morning, and three times it seemed to have accepted it, and three times it did not appear, so I gave up.

• David A. Evans
          December 26, 2012 at 7:18 pm

My comment above appeared on the latest comments on the right for ages but when visiting the post, there were only 3 comments.
          Must admit, I was getting a little paranoid too.

DaveE.

• December 26, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Yes, I have discovered that there seem to be several versions of each post “live” at the same time, and with a bit of fiddling around I can usually reach the latest one, at least the latest one that I know of, but it is tricky. And it is not caused by the browser saving and remembering the old versions, for I have checked that out too.

5. December 27, 2012 at 10:38 am

So Norway is not at the EU table. But neither are we at the US table when it comes to decisions about selling products there and we still manage to do pretty well. Same when we sell to China and other countries. All that being at the table brings is the opportunity to increase the red tape and bureaucracy as you argue for your special needs to be incorporated into the final rule.

United Kingdom Time

Email us for now via either James' or Julia's sites until we set up a new email here or follow us on Twitter

Comments policy

No to press regulation

Please sign the petition - click pic: blogoff

Contributors

For more about these renegades, click on the name to go to a short profile:

AK Haart
Angry Exile
Bucko
Chuckles
Churchmouse
James Higham
JuliaM
Sackerson
The Quiet Man
Witterings from Witney

Orphans logo

Feel free to take this for your sidebar.
WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux