Are you English, British or something else?

January 4, 2013 15 Comments
By

By Andrew Cooper
Mon, 31/12/2012

The British media have made a big deal out of the latest results of the 2011 Census. We have all read how 13% of Britain’s population is made up of immigrants who were born abroad and how the media are pointing the finger of blame at the Labour Party, but is this full picture.

Firstly the media have attempted to do a ‘sleight of hand trick’, showing their readers the not ‘so bad’ story of 13% of the British population consisting of immigrants born abroad while slipping the true figures for non British, and in particular non English, living in Britain into their pocket.

What you have to remember is that the figures only represent the population of England and Wales and that the vast majority of immigration is settled into England.

As an Englishman, I immediately picked up on the ‘born abroad’ which was used in every media article so decided to check the Census figures myself in order to attempt to assess the true problem of immigration into England.

The Census asked two questions which were relevant; what do you consider your Nationality to be and what do you consider your Ethnicity to be.

I began my search with the Office for National Statistics releases  - both nationality and Ethnicity statistics can be found here:

I first went into the attachment titles as; 2011 Census: KS201EW Ethnic group, local authorities in England and Wales but because the Census had made a single tick box for the Ethnic English, Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish and British there was no way for me to calculate the figures for each individual group.

So I moved on to the Nationality results at: 2011 Census: KS202EW National identity, local authorities in England and Wales, then clicking on the Excel button at the right hand side of the page I brought up the statistics for peoples Nationality.

Now remember this is not the Government’s or the media’s anti English perception that we are all English because we live in England, it is the perception of the people who have filled in the Census questionnaire.

The statistics showed that the population of England is 53,012,426 and looking at the Excel spreadsheet the Government have helpfully placed tags which give the total numbers of those answers and most importantly for me a tab which gave the percentages of those people.

The important results are as follows:

People who consider themselves as being of English only nationality is 32,007,983 or 60.4%

English and British is 4,820,818 or 9.1% and then came the breakthrough, the story that the media had slipped into their pocket while showing us all the 13% bad news story; the people who consider they have no English identity is 15,834,059 or 29.9%.

That’s nearly 30% of England’s population who consider that they are not English.

………..

H/T IPJ

15 Responses to Are you English, British or something else?

1. January 4, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I’m not sure what details or distinctions are clear from the spreadsheet. I would expect however that a very large number of scots and welsh people resident in England, even to the second generation, would not consider themselves to be of English nationality

2. January 4, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Was there an option called ‘European Citizen’?

(I ask because I never filled in the census forms).

According to the EU, we are all European citizens first, then British, then English, Scots, Welsh, etc. If you look in Hansard (circa 1992 following the signing of the Maastricht Treaty) the then PM John Major announced to parliament that Queen Elizabeth II was “…now a European Citizen…”.

This violates the Bill of Rights 1688/9.

Mrs Windsor cannot lawfully be both a monarch and a citizen. She is one or the other. Which box did she tick?

CR.

3. Paul Williamson
    January 4, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I was born in Spain with English/British parents, have always had a Britsh passport and came to live in England when I was 10 years old in 1981. I have lived here ever since. Until recently I have considered myself British. However with the massive changes which are afoot and particularly with the introduction of gay marriage, and the naming of people like me as homophobic and bigots, and this country being all but secular, I no longer can identify myself as British. But neither can I identify myself with any other nation. In physical terms I am British, but in spiritual terms, beliefs and behaviour, I am a minority

• Greg Tingey
      January 5, 2013 at 9:30 am

Let’s have a completelly secular country with the church disestablished, please?
      As for the RC church, the second-vilest body of people on the planet ….
      [ The worst are another set of believers, the Taliban, & the third are another, declining religion, the communists]
      Now grow up!

• January 5, 2013 at 9:47 am

And that’s what I am on about. Pointing to the fanaticism which is perfectly happy to see the view he does not like suppressed and forceably constrained. Just like in the French Revolution. It is far more dogmatic than any Christianity as it is based on brutality, whereas the other is based on faith, hope and charity.

Significant that you say: “Heil Hitler” on another comment because that is what you’re suggesting – the State removing freedoms – freedom of speech, freedom of association and freedom of worship.

The American 1st Amendment, though about disestablishment, was also against the State interfering in people’s worship. Disestablishment can mean two different things – it can mean that Church and State are separated, two equal and sometimes opposed bodies, with the former acting as a sort of House of Lords on the latter … or it can mean the way you mean it, Greg, and that is the suppression of the Church – your views on “religion” are known fanaticism.

Just as feminism, which argued for “equality” resulted in the oppression of the white indigenous male along with all the other isms, so disestablishment in this sense would not stop with separation – it would continue towards bias against, in the way the Christian church is treated in Muslim countries.

Cameron’s current assault, using gay “marriage” and women bishops as a lever, is the thin edge of the wedge. So yes, I agree with separation of State and church to that extent but not to the suppression of both people’s right to worship what they want – you worship atheism and good luck – and suppression of its charitable functions – nurturing and supporting the disadvantaged.

The State wants the sole power to do that, as it places everyone on the State teat. The church stands in the way of that goal. Be careful what you wish for.

• SteveW
          January 6, 2013 at 10:37 pm

“Disestablishment can mean two different things – it can mean that Church and State are separated, two equal and sometimes opposed bodies, with the former acting as a sort of House of Lords on the latter … or it can mean the way you mean it, Greg, and that is the suppression of the Church – your views on “religion” are known fanaticism.”

Which ignores the obvious place of the church in a modern society – a club for its believers which has no authority over nor business interfering with anyone else.

• January 7, 2013 at 12:03 am

Which ignores its nurturing role it’s always had. I understand those not down and out not understanding this but a glance at the role of the church with the poor and down and outs shows a pastoral care role which has not been fully taken up by any other body in the community. That has always been its hallmark at grassroots level but this is not allowed to come out through the media who take only the worst aspects and highlight them.

That’s not a club. That’s outreach.

[I'm neither promoting nor proselytizing in saying that, just setting the record straight in reaction to a statement made by someone else.]

4. ReefKnot
    January 4, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Also Captain, my passport tells me I am a British Citizen, not a British Subject. Presumably therefore I do not have a Sovereign Queen and effectively live in a Republic ?

5. January 4, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Reefy,

I keep my old passports. As near as I can tell we ceased to be subjects in 1981. Passports issued to me after that say that I am a citizen.

The queen abdicated when she signed ECA 1972 into law. We have not had a monarch for 40 years.

No government department has any authority now. If the queen is in default, so are all those who swore an oath to her, or who exercise power in her name.

CR.

6. January 4, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Still, interesting stat that it came to 30% non-English citizens of England.

7. johnd2008
    January 4, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I was determined not to fill in the census forms, but the decision was made for me as none were delivered to my house, or any of my neighbors. So locally, the numbers are down by at least 20, all of us white and English.

8. Harry
    January 4, 2013 at 9:35 pm

They won’t stop until the English are a minority.

“Some may scoff at describing what is happening in Britain today as genocidal. However, the United Nations Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (CPPCG) defines genocide as:

“… deliberately inflicting on [a] group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part.”

Webster’s Dictionary defines it as:

“… the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group.”

Can anybody deny that this will be the result of the policies carried out by the ruling oligarchy and their puppet politicians?”

link to revolutionharry.blogspot.co.uk

• Greg Tingey
      January 5, 2013 at 9:31 am

Heil Hitler!

• Harry
        January 5, 2013 at 6:47 pm

“Heil Hitler”?

Is there any of the New World Order propaganda/brainwashing you haven’t fallen for Greg?

9. james wilson
    January 6, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Orwell-
    “National characteristics… often turn out to be trivialities or seem to have no connexion with one another. Spaniards are cruel to animals, Italians can do nothing without making a deafening noise, the Chinese are addicted to gambling. Obviously such things don’t matter in themselves. Nevertheless, nothing is causeless, and even the fact that Englishmen have bad teeth can tell something about the realities of English life.”

“The differences between the virtues which will continue to be esteemed under a collectivist system, and those which will disappear, is well illustrated by a comparison of the virtues which even their enemies admit the Germans to possess, as well as those which they are lacking–those of which the English people once prided themselves in excelling with some justification.”

“Till recently it was thought proper to pretend that human beings are very much alike, but in fact any one able to use his eyes knows that the average of human behavior differs from country to country. Things that could happen in one country could not happen in another.”

Me-
    Unless you import them. Ideas, and people.

United Kingdom Time

Email us at contact orphans of liberty [all one word] at gmail dot com

Authors

For more about these renegades, click on the name to go to a short profile:

AK Haart
Churchmouse
James Higham
JuliaM
The Quiet Man

Orphans logo

Feel free to take this for your sidebar.