But…I Thought This Was Supposed To Usher In A ‘Fairer’ Society?

Emma G Keller on women in high places:

Marissa Mayer is clearly an all-or-nothing person, used to working on her terms. She is a talented woman, and we all appreciate daily what she did at Google. She seems to be having the same attractive effect on Yahoo. But does this make her a good manager? Not if that means being in touch with the goodwill of her employees. Step one in this process is to show you value other people’s time. We’ve already learned how Mayer is chronically late for meetings, making her subordinates wait for an hour or more for her to show up.

Now, she wants more of their time – for free. Her decision is a costly one, whatever the payoff in cafeteria chat and brainstorming on the bus. Will she underwrite the commuting time and expense? Will there be a gas allowance? Parking? Will employees have their own desks?

Well, if she doesn’t supply any of those things, why not go find another company that does, and work for them?

There is absolutely no concession made for those with families. Yes, I know this is unsurprising from a woman who skipped her own maternity leave. But forget the expense of finding childcare to cover this new work situation, what happens when someone gets, you know, sick?

But…aren’t we always being told that having more women in positions of authority will usher in a fairer, more caring society? And, what’s more, told that in the pages of the ‘Guardian’? Over and over and over?

Do you mean to say that it might not be true?

Over at the Huffington Post, where contributors often toil for nothing, Arianna Huffington has a policy that “anybody starting a new book must either leave employment or take a sabbatical.” She’s referring to her paid employees, of course. This policy recently forced her executive editor Tim O’Brien out of the company. He had a multi-book contract to honor and wasn’t allowed to do both. Huffington founded the Huffington Post in 2005. Since then, she has written three books herself, without taking a sabbatical or leaving the company.

In her 2007 book, On Becoming Fearless – in Love, Work and Life, she wrote about how good it was to write a book while running her 24/7 website because she could “post excerpts from the chapters I was working on, which produced immediate feedback and led to some great comments”. So it’s OK for her, then.

Yes. She’s the boss. And she’s not conforming to the fond imaginings of the feminists. How delicious!

Two companies, two women at the top, two sets of unbending rules. We’ve come a long way, baby.

Yes indeed. We’ve achieved true equality. Women are in charge and they are proving to be just like the men in charge.

What do you mean, that wasn’t what you wanted, or expected?

10 comments for “But…I Thought This Was Supposed To Usher In A ‘Fairer’ Society?

1. john in cheshire
    March 6, 2013 at 11:47 am

You have to laugh. But what’s the purpose of the article; to elicit sympathy? If so I think she’ll find it’s in short supply from a lot of us.

• March 7, 2013 at 5:32 am

Yup, and most of the readers of CiF too, it seems!

2. Tatty
    March 6, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Hmmm.

From the article: “I get paid a certain amount of money from the Guardian. I divide that into a rate per hour I think I’m worth, and I give my bosses those hours.

Piss taken on both sides here, I reckon.

Feminists – Sorta like women but not really.

• March 7, 2013 at 5:34 am

🙂

3. SG
    March 6, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Funny how those with a heartfelt ‘social conscience’ soon become heartless and anti-human. Must be the prospect of all that money for themselves that makes them act so badly.

• March 7, 2013 at 5:34 am

Is she ‘anti-human’ then?

4. Twenty_Rothmans
    March 6, 2013 at 10:14 pm

I’m sitting writing this in my home office at 7.42am. I started planning the piece in my head at 7am when I took my dogs for a walk. I emailed three editors at the Guardian about it 15 minutes ago and heard back immediately. On the desk next to me are this month’s bills, waiting to be paid once I’ve finished writing. At work, I have a reputation for being productive and fast. I also pride myself on how I manage my time.
    You haven’t had a crap or a shave yet? How will you fit it all in?

Who the hell responds to emails within 15 minutes unless:
    a: they haven’t much on their plates; and/or
    b: they haven’t given it much thought.

From: Emme Keller
    To: Guardianista wonks
    Subject: Pile of old toss J/K A really good story!!!!!

Hi!!!
    Sorry to wake you up, yeah, hope youre not drinking Starbux!!! And it;s lunchtime there lol!

I was just walking Germaine and Harriet, and I thought of a great idea for a story, why don’t I just go on and on about me for a bit. Quite a bit, but it’s really important.

Then I can talk about these corporate bitches who act just like men? They don’t realize that we need our ME time, get our hair cut, read a trashy magazine, walk the dogs again and be a parent to Bartholin and Minora, check out schools etc, have a fairtrade coffee (not Starbu££$)

Then I can end it really weakly, you know, ironic, that vacuous women like that can get jobs and give us a bad name?
    X
    Emma

From: Rosa Trotsky
    To: Emme Keller
    Subject: Re: Pile of old toss
    Whatever
    R,

From: G Moonbat
    To: Emme Keller
    Subject: Re: Pile of old toss
    Go for it

From: That woman who’s married to the BBC guy
    To: Helen Keller
    Subject: Re: Pile of old wank
    didn’t have time to read but trust yr judgement

It’s reasonable to assume from the first paragraph, quoted at the top for your enjoyment, that Miss Keller is always replacing her keyboard when the ‘I’ key gives out.

My version goes something like this:
    I’m sitting writing this in my bedroom at 2200. I started planning the piece in my head at 2130 when I read that article and cracked open another beer. I’ll post it on OoL and nobody will give a damn. On the desk next to me are this month’s bills, an ashtray, more bills, some fags, some tobacco and papers, a lighter, loose tobacco and ash everywhere, a Viz sub renewal slip, some more beer and some scissors. At work, I have a reputation for being a workshy, hungover introvert who is only kept on because I’m a guru. I also pride myself on how I waste my time, alternating between war movies and German hardcore.

• March 7, 2013 at 5:38 am

/applause

• March 7, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Top post! 🙂

5. March 7, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Less I say the better on this one.