Good Luck With That Campaign!

April 4, 2013 8 Comments
By

Cuts to legal aid are forcing the closure of almost a third of Shelter’s housing advice centres and compelling the Red Cross to abandon its assistance for family reunions, the organisations claim.

Family reunions? Why the fiends!

Wait.

What sort of ‘family’ are we talking about here?

The British Red Cross says the cuts will force it to withdraw expert help to those trying to bring their children into the United Kingdom to escape violence or persecution abroad and has condemned the government’s economies as an assault on “family life”.

Frankly, I consider that an attempt to stop an assault on my family life (and tax burden)!

Campbell Robb, chief executive of Shelter, said: “We are going to lose about £3m a year in legal aid. Lots of benefit and welfare changes, like the bedroom tax, are coming into effect in April, just at the time that the government has cut back on legal advice. It’s the perfect storm.

“We will see more people getting into the court system more quickly because we used to be able to give early, preventative advice but will no longer be able to provide that service.”

Hurrah! Quicker justice! What’s not to like?

The Red Cross says that 90% of the refugees it currently works with require legal aid to argue their case that their children or close relatives should be able to join them in the UK.

Jonathan Ellis, head of policy at the British Red cross, said: “We are going to have to turn people away. We are not going to be able to provide the full support we have in the past.

“We have been supporting around 10,000 clients a year. I cannot believe the government really intends to do this. It is supposed to be in favour of family friendly policies.”

Yes, it is, actually. British families.

As you are charities, you could always try rattling a tin top make up the shortfall? Unless, of course, you think this is something you won’t get much public support for…

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to Good Luck With That Campaign!

1. April 4, 2013 at 1:26 pm

10,000 refugees a year? All from Neighbouring , France, Belgium and Ireland?
    I had no idea the state of the war in Europe had become so bad.

• April 4, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I think it’s that Hitler bloke rampaging across Europe that’s the problem, we really should do something about him…

• April 7, 2013 at 6:33 am

:lol:

• April 4, 2013 at 1:29 pm

2. amfortas
    April 4, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Yep, rattle the tin in all the countries these parasites are coming from. Not here.

3. April 4, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Well that’s any potential contribution to the Red Cross from me stopped. I have not objection to the RC doing relief work in areas where there have been natural or man made disasters. However I’m certainly not going to pay for them to help bring in more of the sort of scum that make life a misery for those dwindling number of my relatives who still live in the London Borough of Thirdworldistan.

• April 7, 2013 at 6:34 am

It never ceases to amaze me how many people give to charities when they have no more idea of what they really do than my cat!

4. April 7, 2013 at 7:03 pm

If they’re needing legal aid to argue their case then they obviously don’t have a very strong case to come here. How many are refugees from Syria where there is a real war going on and how many coming here using excuses about human rights. The former probably don’t need much help, the later are the ones gaming the system.

United Kingdom Time

Email us at contact orphans of liberty [all one word] at gmail dot com

Authors

For more about these renegades, click on the name to go to a short profile:

AK Haart
Churchmouse
James Higham
JuliaM
The Quiet Man

Orphans logo

Feel free to take this for your sidebar.