The mother of a Croydon clubber who died in Ibiza after taking ecstasy has called for a clampdown on drug taking on the party isle.
Why? Have they started ramming it down the throats of the unwilling?
Today her mother, Debbie Nieman, 50, said she was “disgusted” by the availability of drugs and the prevalence of drug pushers on the island after she tracked the last movements of her daughter.
She said: “When we went over after Jodie’s death we were offered drugs on the beach during the day. We went to the club and spoke to people there and they said they were given pills for free. ”
Did you take any? No? Well, then, there was nothing to stop your daughter doing the same…
“They claim to check everyone’s bags, but when we went no bags were checked. The clubs are packed, shoulder to shoulder, and people leave their drinks everywhere. It is not safe.
“Our children go on holiday to have fun – for the music, for the sun and to have a drink, not to get themselves killed.”
I rather think you are hopelessly naïve about why most people’s children go to Ibiza, also about what constitutes ‘fun’ to a significant percentage of them.
“You have to ask questions when you find out that other people were in hospital that night. What happened? Was it the drug, or were their drinks spiked with something stronger? There have to be more controls when so many young people are going out there,” Mrs Nieman said.
If so, they’ll be implemented by the Ibiza authorities. As best they can.
But you know what the best control would be? Making the market for their product disappear.
That means, ensuring that people don’t see drugs as ‘harmless fun’.
Now, I realise we’ll have the legalisation crowd here trumpeting this as a reason to push their agenda, but if impurities were the cause rather than the drug itself, well, all I need do is point to the horsemeat scandal…
A close friend Chelsea Purchell, who was on holiday with Jodie, said the group had been confronted by numerous men offering to sell them pills. Mrs Nieman said her daughter, who was living with her in Kenley, Croydon, and “loved horses”, was “not into drugs” .
And it may well have been an accident or a deliberate poisoning. But equally, it may not. And sorry as I am for her loss, I rather think she’s taking aim at the wrong culprits here.