More Of This Attitude From People, Please!

May 6, 2013 13 Comments
By

A formal complaint was made to Lancashire Police about ‘Babs’ who has been at the centre of a growing row in Clitheroe.

Some residents have been calling for her removal from public view in the window of The Time Train retro shop where she has been standing for the past five months.

And by ‘some residents’, I suspect we are talking about (as with the recent Enid Blyton controversy) a tiny fraction of the population whose vocal output is out of all proportion to their numbers.

But, 2013 being what it is, the police – instead of pointing out that no crime has been committed and their boss says they are only to focus on crimes – are right round there like rats up a drainpipe:

Police received the complaint on Saturday and an officer went to the shop, asking them to clothe ‘Babs’ more appropriately.

I’d love to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation, wouldn’t you? Me, I’d have smiled sweetly and announced my intentions to purchase Babs a nice new burkha…

And no. I don’t have any sympathy at all for the individual cop who got the thankless task. I’m sick and tired of the ‘Oh, but they have to do this, they are just obeying orders!’ excuse.

Luckily, Mr Taylor proved to be of much stronger stuff and responded to this visit in good old English fashion – he sent them away with a flea in their ear!

Matt Taylor, 31, joint shop owner, said he has no intention of giving in and the police left without taking any action.

But don’t think for a moment that that’s the last of it, oh, dear me, no…

A petition against ‘Babs’ is reportedly being put together and is expected to be given to Ribble Valley Council.

Ribble Valley Council should dump it straight in the bin.

Tags: , , ,

13 Responses to More Of This Attitude From People, Please!

1. Twenty_Rothmans
    May 6, 2013 at 11:15 am

I thought it was a golliwog until I looked. Put a burkha on the brazen hussy, I say.

Bit rich complaining about taking offence if you’re from Clitheroe. Is it twinned with Scunthorpe, Penistone and Cockermouth?

• Viscount Rectum
      May 7, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Yes, and I would put money on it that your local Mosque dwellers were the complainants.

• May 9, 2013 at 5:37 am

Oh, I wouldn’t be too sure! There’s a LOT of humourless little pricks in small towns.

2. amfortas
    May 6, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Of course ‘Bab’s should be removed. I am astonished the shop’s insurer has not been in touch and demanded far better security.

Babs should be in the Tate Modern where she can be appreciated by the art intellicelebs. She must be worth at least half a million.

3. Penseivat
    May 6, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Why not cut her down the middle and stick her in a tank of formaldehyde. No one can complain about art, can they? :roll:

4. Tatty
    May 6, 2013 at 3:46 pm

If people are really that offended why not just cut to the chase and steal it ?

Oh wait, it could be replaced and then that wouldn’t be any kind of victory over anyone or anything, would it.

Petty bullying…fuck ‘em.

• May 9, 2013 at 5:42 am

It’s clearly what they do to pass the time….

5. microdave
    May 6, 2013 at 7:12 pm

“Ribble Valley Council should dump it straight in the bin”

Now you ARE being silly Julia…

6. mona
    May 7, 2013 at 10:01 am

Is Babs a lap dancer?

7. May 7, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Naughty. :)

8. May 8, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I’ve since read that they are planning a companion for Babs. They are even asking people to put forward names for the new one.

United Kingdom Time

Email us for now via either James' or Julia's sites until we set up a new email here or follow us on Twitter

Comments policy

No to press regulation

Please sign the petition - click pic: blogoff

Contributors

For more about these renegades, click on the name to go to a short profile:

AK Haart
Angry Exile
Bucko
Chuckles
Churchmouse
James Higham
JuliaM
Sackerson
The Quiet Man
Witterings from Witney

Orphans logo

Feel free to take this for your sidebar.
WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux