When ‘Inclusion’ Means ‘Takeover’…

August 12, 2013 10 Comments
By

Parents of pupils at Rose Hill Primary School, in The Oval, were angered by a letter they received from headmistress Sue Mortimer.

It informed them the halal meat, which involves slaughtering animals in a special way for consumption by Muslims, had been used in all school meals as part of the school’s inclusion policy.

That’s…a rather strange idea of ‘inclusion’ isn’t it? More like… homogeneity.

The letter said the reason for the decision was that since halal meat was not forbidden by any religion or culture, its use would allow everyone to choose a meat dish for lunch.

Perfect reasoning  Only words in a ‘holy book’ count – if you object on other grounds, well, too bad..

Lyndsy Johnson, whose five-year-old son Dane Lovattattends the school, said: “I am angry that the headmistress seems to think she can do anything she wants without informing parents.

“Our kids do not know what they are eating now. We have got rights as well as everybody else.”

It seems you don’t. Not when you are up against you know who.

Mum-of-three Sharon Haynes, 35, from Radford Close, said: “Why should we let our kids eat halal meat?”

Because we no longer have politicians or public servants capable of standing up to these people and their ever increasing demands,. that’s why…

Mum Maria O’Callaghan, from Jerseycorr Road, said: “I don’t agree with the way the animals are killed for halal meat.”

Miss Johnson, from Radford Close, said she was planning, along with another mum, to stand outside the school gates to collect signatures for a petition.

You’ll probably be arrested.

Mrs Mortimer was unavailable for comment.

How surprising! Maybe she’s trying to think of a way of framing this in a positive light. She could always try claiming that she’s just avoiding the dilemma of the dinner ladies?

However, RaghibAli, one of the founders of the Oxford Islam and Muslim Awareness Project, said: “The meat looks the same and tastes the same. It’s just a different way the animals are reared and killed. It’s not cruel – it’s better for the animal.”

Really? Because, sometimes, it’s just regular old meat

However, Dr Taj Hargey chairman of the Muslim Educational Centre of Oxford, believed the school was at fault for not telling parents about the change.

But…she did? Was the word you were grasping for there ‘consulting’..?

An Oxfordshire County Council spokesman said three other schools in Oxford offered halal chicken up to once a week, and two more schools had requested halal meat, but had not started serving it.

Another school was consulting parents over whether to offer a fully halal menu, the county council said.

And if they say ‘No’? Does the consultation end and the imposition begin?

Tags: , , , , ,

10 Responses to When ‘Inclusion’ Means ‘Takeover’…

1. August 12, 2013 at 11:11 am

Not forbidden by any other religion? Bollocks, several religions forbid eating meat that has been consecrated to other gods and if I recall correctly halal meat is blessed during slaughter

• August 12, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Clearly, what she meant to say was ‘since halal meat was not forbidden by any religion or culture that can make me wet my knickers in panic‘…

2. August 12, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Then again – what they do to meat in general anyway dot dot dot

From BSE to horsemeat for beef.

Blessed during slaughter? Reassuring for the cow.

3. August 12, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Why am I reminded this instant of Ray Bradbury’s (?) quaint tale “How to Serve Humans”. :)

OK. I know, I am due for a whacking. I looked it up after I posted. I have to amend. It was a 1950 short story “To Serve Man”, written by Damon Knight. It was adapted for the Twilight Zone.

• August 12, 2013 at 6:03 pm

And a brilliant episode it was too!

4. Single Acts of Tyranny
    August 12, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Neither am I entirely certain that Halal meat would be acceptable to those following kosher standards?

• Ed P
      August 12, 2013 at 1:56 pm

There’s not much difference – both involve cruel treatment and an unpleasant death for the animal.
      So perhaps concerned parents should advise their children to just eat beef, pork or the vegetarian option – they will not have tampered with those.

• August 12, 2013 at 6:05 pm

If the school serves beef, it too will have to be halal? As for pork, well, maybe that won’t be on the menu at all much longer..

5. Den
    August 12, 2013 at 5:32 pm

I have heard that halal neat is being sold/served in many places without the knowledge of the consumer. It saves money, apparently, to just have one system in an abattoir. Was there something about this during the Olympics?

6. Furor Teutonicus
    August 13, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I am waiting for it, and, the way things are going, I think I may even attempt holding my breath…… , “Plain labels for ham products!” “PORK BANNED!” etc, etc.

United Kingdom Time

Email us for now via either James' or Julia's sites until we set up a new email here or follow us on Twitter

Comments policy

No to press regulation

Please sign the petition - click pic: blogoff

Contributors

For more about these renegades, click on the name to go to a short profile:

AK Haart
Angry Exile
Bucko
Chuckles
Churchmouse
James Higham
JuliaM
Sackerson
The Quiet Man
Witterings from Witney

Orphans logo

Feel free to take this for your sidebar.
WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux