“But It’s So Unfair..!!”

October 29, 2013 9 Comments
By

Oxfordshire’s drugs campaigners have highlighted the case of Michelle X, the Abingdon multiple sclerosis sufferer who grew her own cannabis, as “the human cost” of Britain’s drug laws.

Oh, for..!

Lady Neidpath, Countess of Wemyss and March, also known as Amanda Feilding, founded drugs charity The Beckley Foundation 15 years ago.

She said: “This is a very clear example of a human cost, where a woman is being criminalised for treating her condition.

“Cannabis has been scientifically shown to be less harmful than tobacco or alcohol.

“I think Sativex (the trade name for a chemical compound found in cannabis) should be available across the board.

“It has been shown to help with MS and I think Ms X is a clear case of the fact that the current rules on controlled drugs do not serve the people.”

They serve me very well. Or would, if they were only enforced better. It’s a rare day on the District Line when I don’t get a whiff of eau de sillyweed.

One can only hope none of them are operating heavy machinery when they get to where they are going…

Ms X said: “I would like my doctor to be able to prescribe cannabis for me.

“It is so unfair that there is a product out there which helps me but I am not allowed to have it.”

Yes, it’s so unfair that the police insist on arresting kleptomaniacs when they steal, and sexsomniacs when they assault women in their sleep. They can’t ‘help it’ so they should get a free pass, right?

Clearly, even the MS sufferer’s advocates are having to grit their teeth at the constant whinging of the wannabe potheads:

Stephen Trousse, a spokesman for the MS Trust, said: “We appreciate the frustration of people with MS who feel they are being denied a potentially useful treatment.

“We believe that people with MS should have access to safe, effective and licensed treatments for their symptoms on the NHS, rather than feeling they have to find solutions outside of the law.”

And, it seems, it isn’t even the sure-fire solution that the activists claim anyway:

However, MS sufferer and Summertown resident Tim Treuherz, who paid £240 for a private prescription for Sativex, said he stopped using the drug.

The 55-year-old said: “Different things work for different people. I tried Sativex for a period of months but I don’t use it anymore because of its side-effects.

“Sativex did ease the pain but the side-effects were too much. There was a lack of ability to concentrate on anything.

But… (well, you knew there should be one, right?)

“But at the moment some people cannot afford it and I think it should be rolled out across the country on the NHS.”

Well, good luck getting it through NICE!

Tags: , , , ,

9 Responses to “But It’s So Unfair..!!”

1. Shaun Pilkington
    October 29, 2013 at 10:56 am

Sativex is set to be approved by NICE in 2014. It is farmed under a monopoly license from the Home Office and manufactured in the Porton Down facility.

2. October 29, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Legalise the whole lot and be done with it.

• October 29, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Yup. Agreed. What you consume, no matter how bad for you, is your choice. Not that I’ve ever tried weed I hasten to add.

3. Mark
    October 29, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I’m with the cannabis-smoking MS sufferers on this.

4. James Strong
    October 30, 2013 at 6:28 am

Legalise drugs.
    Punish kleptomaniacs and ‘sexsomniacs’ whether the cause of the crimes they commit is drugs, or not.

5. Furor Teutonicus
    October 30, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Never have understood the downer (pardon the pun) “Governments” have on Cannabis, any way.

Except for the new “designer” drugs, EVERY drug is available on script, if you can prove a need.

Cannabis is the only (as far as I know) exception.

WHAT are they so scared of?

• Viscount Rectum
      October 31, 2013 at 8:45 am

What are they scared of? who are they? -Henry ford made a car out of Hemp, the American Constitution is written on Hemp, Elizabeth 1 made a law saying 10% of land should be set aside for growing Hemp, no-one in recorded history has ever been poisoned by Cannabis it is non toxic, see run from the cure by Rick Simpson. big Pharma makes Cannabis illegal.

6. Jack Savage
    October 30, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Governments NOW hate it because if they legalise it, it is SO easy to grow and prepare for smoking that they will not be able to tax it, unlike tobacco and alcohol.
    I like a toot myself still, late at night. It helps me sleep and improves my guitar playing. I accept it is against the law and must accept any consequences. The penalties for growing are so much more serious than for simple possession that I have to give my money to criminals rather than grow my own. Hey ho.
    I am, however, much more ambivalent about full legalisation than I once used to be. Such things frequently have unanticipated consequences.
    Sometimes problems do not actually have a perfect solution, or a solution at all.

7. October 31, 2013 at 2:28 am

Odd, isn’t it, that all sorts of people everywhere (well in places) are hell bent on stopping people smoking nicotine as it ’causes’ lung problems, but seem happy to want to smoke cannabis that has the same detrimental effects on the lungs AND screws up cognition. Still, as long as it ‘Feels good’, as the new saying goes, it must be good.

United Kingdom Time

Email us at contact orphans of liberty [all one word] at gmail dot com

Authors

For more about these renegades, click on the name to go to a short profile:

AK Haart
Churchmouse
James Higham
JuliaM
The Quiet Man

Orphans logo

Feel free to take this for your sidebar.