I’m About To Do Something I Never Thought I Would…

December 28, 2013 15 Comments
By

…and that’s defend David Cameron.

The ‘Guardian’ gleefully recounts how he was ‘heckled’ as he visited a flood-hit village:

Cameron was also heckled by Sean Matthews, 54, a tube driver who had given up on keeping his footwear dry and was striding around the village barefoot.

“The people he is talking to, the Environment Agency and so on, they weren’t here,” he said. “I swam this road on Christmas Day, pulling people out on my own. There was no one here on Christmas Day or Boxing Day. A lot of families have lost a lot.”

Sally Pawson, a nurse who lives alone, had enlisted the help of friends to rip out carpets, lift soaked chipboard floors and clean up her filthy possessions.

“My frustration is that until Cameron came we had been left abandoned,” she said. “When we knew he was coming this morning the police showed up, the council turned up but until then the only people helping us were volunteers. It was just a publicity stunt.”

Now maybe it’s me, but…if that were really the case, I’d actually be thanking god that he did turn up, the better to force the public services we pay through the nose for to actually serve. And the people I’d be angry with would be the police and the council.

Not that I’m going to fail to point out that maybe a nurse and a tube driver have other reasons for their attack on the PM…

And maybe, just maybe, it’s not entirely the State’s fault, either:

A proposal to build a earthworks burm – a raised mound – around the village was not taken forward following consultation with the local community, partly because of its aesthetic impact on the village, said Andrew Pearce, the Environment Agency’s area manager for Kent and south London.

I wonder what they think of its aesthetic impact now?

Tags: , , ,

15 Responses to I’m About To Do Something I Never Thought I Would…

1. December 28, 2013 at 9:58 am

Agreed.It’s not Cameron’s fault if it rains.

• December 28, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Good Lord. Since when?

• John
      December 28, 2013 at 6:02 pm

I’m sure it is only a matter of time before Yvette Cooper finds a way to blame him for it.

• January 3, 2014 at 7:18 am

Or Thatcher!

2. December 28, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Ah, Yalding. Located in a “bowl” into which three rivers feed. The roads serving it are all narrow, vulnerable to flooding and falling trees. The rail line is close to the river. In recent decades its population has expanded rapidly both with permanent housing a lot of park/caravan housing and people in boats. It floods regularly in a way which blocks the key road. Whenever it rains heavily I know that Yalding is a place to avoid.

• ivan
      December 28, 2013 at 4:53 pm

In the years before the EA took over looking after rivers and and such like, there were such things as river dredging and the ditches at the sides of roads were kept clear to help excess water find its way to the sea.

Now we have city people that have moved to the countryside and know nothing about its upkeep insisting the the ditches are filled in ‘because someone just might fall or drive into them’ and the rivers must ‘look pretty’ rather than be useful. In other words they have made a rod for their own backs and I have no sympathy for them at all – not even a nano violins worth.

• January 3, 2014 at 7:20 am

“It doesn’t help matters that the Environment Agency seems not to have any engineers that know anything about river management and land drainage on its staff.”

I bet they are all a whiz on diversity theory and the role of Mary Seacole though… :0

3. John Bolton
    December 28, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I seriously wonder how a L. A. can be persuaded to allow development of land known to be at flood risk unless adequate defence is put in place and the cost borne by the builder. In this case, it would seemed that they declined defences so I am afraid sympathy is somewhat limited. (And who would have paid for them?)
    I recall a chap called Alfred who built a lot of berms around towns and even topped them with horrid stake fences. I don’t suppose they were ‘aesthetic’ but they did the job with some very rude neighbours for which the populace was duly grateful.
    The Severn regularly bursts its banks and TV always show us Tewkesbury. Serene above the waters stands a very lovely abbey (well worth a visit). Medieval architects knew their stuff. Maybe we have lost the plot since then or is there another reason? I couldn’t comment.

4. Viscount Rectum
    December 28, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I know lets build houses that will float during floods and call them boat houses.

5. Ed P
    December 29, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Until approx the 1970s, flood plains were respected and retained undeveloped. These vast “sponges” coped very well with sudden downpours and rivers naturally overflowed into them. Then greed set in and rivers were culverted, flood plains infested with little boxes (all made of ticky-tacky), with most incomers ignorant of nature and her variabilities. My sympathies are with the rivers and our lost wild areas – if only the nasty little boxes could all be washed away!

6. Dave_G
    December 29, 2013 at 8:57 pm

No doubt council planning departments are failing in their duty by allowing construction without insisting on suitable flood protection.
    More likely they KNOW of the potential flood problems but gleefully accept the payments from developers without either advsing them of the consequences or (even more likely) overlooking them with the same property developers knowledge and consent.
    Win, win all round.

• December 29, 2013 at 10:41 pm

As the Bard saith, ‘Methinks they doth protest too much.’

7. December 29, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Thank you, Julia!

It seems the British are descending into a primitive state of mind in blaming the PM for the weather! What is he, a tribal chieftain or shaman? Give over, people of Britain!

8. Errol
    December 31, 2013 at 6:59 pm

For fifteen years the water companies were prevented – by the EU arm DEFRA – from builing reservoirs. It could happily flood a reservoir – that’s what they’re for, storing water but this would contravene the EU’s fanatical intent on controlling and restricting our ability to have cheap access to water on demand.

So instead of having cheap water, we pay through the nose for insurance, flood protection (which is ignored) and then for the water itself. All to suit a demented EU regulation that really only affects Spain.

9. Peter MacFarlane
    January 4, 2014 at 3:15 pm

“…had enlisted the help of friends to rip out carpets, lift soaked chipboard floors and clean up her filthy possessions.”

Shocking.

Because of course, all that sort of thing is, you know, the government’s job.

Feh.

United Kingdom Time

Email us at contact orphans of liberty [all one word] at gmail dot com

Authors

For more about these renegades, click on the name to go to a short profile:

AK Haart
Churchmouse
James Higham
JuliaM
The Quiet Man

Orphans logo

Feel free to take this for your sidebar.