January 13, 2014 7 Comments
By

Peter Hitchens, knocking it out of the ballpark on Duggan:

Roughly 50 years ago, beguiled by smiley reformers, we chose the wrong future. We adopted ideas which were mistaken and have proved to be disastrous.

We called them ‘compassion’. But who were we really being compassionate to? Not, as it turns out, to the poor we claimed to be helping. They suffer most from the compassion of our criminal justice system – which in 2012 was so compassionate it refused to imprison 28,997 offenders who had committed at least 25 crimes.

Are they likely to listen?

Reader, they are not:

The coroner in the controversial Mark Duggan inquest has said he will ask the dead man’s family to help shape recommendations on police firearms procedure.

Senior circuit judge Keith Cutler told The Mail on Sunday he will take ‘the unusual, perhaps unique step’ of inviting submissions from the Duggan family.

You couldn’t make it up, could you? The family that abused his court staff and jurors, who tried to kick down his door, who stood on the steps of his court to denounced the justice system he’s administered, are not punished – are not even criticised – but instead are rewarded.

And why? So yet one more of Hitchens’ smiley reformers can massage his own ego and flaunt his false compassion in public:

Judge Cutler pointedly declined to respond to the criticism yesterday, but defended his decision to hold a 20-second silence for Duggan when the inquest began last September.

‘It was my idea. I know it was controversial, and I know the police were bristling about it and sections of the media were very critical, but I believe that Mark Duggan’s death led to a great deal of unrest.

I thought that a few moments’ reflection at the start of the inquest might be quite healing.’

And was it? Clearly not!

‘I used the words “regrettable death” at the time and there is no doubt that’s what it was. The police have said right from the start that his death was regrettable.’

This fool doesn’t even think about what he’s saying, but just blurts out liberal pabulum until he ends up contradicting himself:

‘It’s interesting to see that now the inquest is over the police have taken up my phrase and are using the words “regrettable death” as they try to reach out to Mark’s family. That can only be a good thing.’

Make up your mind! If they were always using it, clearly you’ve not shown them the way, have you?

He added that he is about to begin formulating a series of recommendations on firearms procedure for the Home Secretary, following issues raised by the inquest.

‘In that sense the inquest is not quite complete,’ he said. ‘I will go quiet for a while but around the middle of February I will be announcing what recommendations I have made to the Secretary of State.

‘Normally I would hide away and come to my own conclusions about these recommendations but this has been a highly charged and high- profile case. I have wanted to have transparency for all the parties and the public.’

Is it me, or is he actually relishing the limelight?

Tags: , , , ,

7 Responses to “Sparing Ourselves The Hard And Unpopular Decisions”? Peter, You Don’t Know The Half Of It!

1. Viscount Rectum
    January 13, 2014 at 11:38 am

The Country is sick, sick, sick.In things that a man would not be seen in himself it is a point of cunning to make a list of petty points and pass them off as wise

2. john in cheshire
    January 13, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Who appointed Judge Cutler? Could he be a labour party appointee? What is the procedure to get rid of incompetent Judges and when is it likely to be used?

3. Lynne at Counting Cats
    January 13, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Thank buggery the jury was made up of adults who were neither as witless nor as in touch with their inner, hug a violent scumbag idiocy as the presiding judge. This infatuation with appeasing and empowering the criminal underclass and their undeserving relatives/shack-ups needs to be stopped dead in its tracks. If for no other reason that it is plain frigging embarrassing. It is also a State-sponsored punch in the face to the tens of millions of people who don’t commit crime but who have to fund this nonsense.

4. johnd2008
    January 13, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I was a trained firearms officer and from what I have read of the case, I would have pulled the trigger.The only time I was put in a similar situation was in training and the natural instinct is to hold fire with possibly fatal consequences to yourself. The bad people need to realise that if a police officer tells you to put your hands where he can see them, do it. None of Duggan’s family have said what they think he wanted a firearm for.

5. Bunny
    January 13, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Duggan’s death regrettable? Really in what way was Duggan’s death regrettable, perhaps in the way that it didn’t come sooner or the scum supporting outside of court weren’t shot too. Perhaps it was regrettable in the way an incendiary round wasn’t used?

What is regrettable is that we have spineless cretins sitting as judges.

6. mona
    January 13, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Read what that geriatric piece of shite Kenneth Clarke thinks immigration is exciting, he is quite mad

7. MTG
    January 13, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Compassion had less to do with the abolition of capital punishment than ultimate recognition of the irreversible quality attached to a hanging. It’s not as if the State was ever in a position to rectify mistakes by opening a grave and shouting “Those naughty policemen were liars. You can come out now.”

United Kingdom Time

Email us at contact orphans of liberty [all one word] at gmail dot com

Authors

For more about these renegades, click on the name to go to a short profile:

AK Haart
Churchmouse
James Higham
JuliaM
The Quiet Man

Orphans logo

Feel free to take this for your sidebar.