Rights and wrongs

I have often railed against human rights abuses when known criminals have used various clauses to remain in the UK, the most common being the right to a family life, which has even been used by a serial child abuser to remain, such are the soft touches that make up our senior judges today. I’m also aware that there are some out there who have committed no crimes yet are watched as the security forces know that they are a risk to the general public.
Mail.

An Al Qaeda-trained bomb-maker was last night free to walk Britain’s streets under a cloak of state-sanctioned anonymity.
The fanatic is one of seven men released from Government anti-terror control orders this month under rules meant to protect their human rights.
He undertook terror training in Pakistan and was named as an alleged terrorist by an American supergrass whose evidence helped to foil a massive UK bomb plot. The 41-year-old was part of a London group of Islamist extremists that included one of those who plotted to blow up the Ministry of Sound nightclub and Bluewater shopping centre in 2004.

Am I happy about this guy walking amongst us? No, I would have thought such a creature would have been banned from living here, however I’m not the one who makes up the rules.
That said, he does have a right to anonymity, if only because he hasn’t actually committed a crime here and much as I’m loath to admit it in his case, it’s a right I believe any decent society ought to have.
If however he does go on to commit some form of atrocity here, I will be amongst the first to be wondering why he was allowed to wander around unmonitored. But so far other than allegations, he hasn’t been convicted of anything.
This probably need regulations for monitoring suspects with far more teeth than the T-PIMS but that is by the bye, until convicted or arrested then these people have a right to be give enough rope to hang themselves in anonymity.
After all, if it works to protect them, it works to protect us…

6 comments for “Rights and wrongs

1. January 27, 2014 at 4:09 pm

If he’s undertaken jihadi training anywhere I think he deserves locking up – or at least we deserve for him to be locked up. If he wants to earn his freedom, he can give the security forces the goods on others in his network.

2. john in cheshire
    January 27, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Isn’t the phrase rule of the people, by the people, for the people. That includes the laws that we are governed by. I believe strongly that if the people were asked, then people like this would be expelled from our country; either back to their country of origin or to a muslim country where they can practise their bizarre form of religion without threatening the safety of ourselves.

3. mona
    January 27, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Strange why these so-called terrorists never try to blow up Blair?.

4. Bunny
    January 27, 2014 at 6:56 pm

There are certain offences that have always since the days of Empire have been irrespective of where they were carried out. If he has killed someone in the name of jihad then they have committed murder in the eyes of English Law and are liable in a British court. We can have some fun with this one.

5. Twenty_Rothmans
    January 27, 2014 at 8:47 pm

john in cheshire
    …then people like this would be expelled from our country; either back to their country of origin or to a muslim country where they can practise their bizarre form of religion without threatening the safety of ourselves.

It’s back here again, then.
    😡

6. January 28, 2014 at 9:41 am

Think if he’s committed them o/s though, his anonymity is gone.