Oh, You Shock Me. No, Really…

Conflict is likely to grow between people using two pedestrian tunnels under the Thames and cyclists, skateboarders and rollerskaters breaching bylaws, a survey has warned.

Well, really. Could have knocked me down with a feather.

“Reducing ill-will between different users should be a priority in the newly-refurbished tunnels,” said the group’s media spokesman Dr Francis Sedgemore.

“A bylaw prohibits cycling, skateboarding and rollerskating in both tunnels which are officially designated pedestrian rights of way.

“Both tunnels are narrow. But up to 80 per cent of cyclists as well as many skateboarders and rollerskaters don’t comply with the bylaw, maybe because enforcement is absent.”

You mean, there’s 20% of cyclists that are obeying the bylaw? Now, those figures I find hard to swallow!

8 comments for “Oh, You Shock Me. No, Really…

1. March 28, 2014 at 10:48 am

Rather than attempting to reduce “ill-will”, they could just try enforcing the law. But that, of course, runs into the problem that Cyclists Can Do No Wrong.

• March 29, 2014 at 5:44 am

As declared by a vociferous minority.

2. johnnyrvf
    March 28, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Just wait until those pesky motorcylists start riding through those tunnels, I wonder how quickly plod will be there to enforce the bye laws then?

3. adams
    March 28, 2014 at 10:36 pm

I know these tunnels (being a local) and have pushed myself through them standing on one pedal of my bike .Naughty ! The tunnels are straight and visibility is not a problem . Cycling sensibly is not a problem either ,in these tunnels IMO but we know that some cyclists are unable to moderate their speed . Once again the good are punished by the small minority of the bad .I have never seen these tunnels crowded or congested .

• March 29, 2014 at 5:49 am

A crackdown and fines for the inconsiderate riders would fix this. But the police are too busy hunting rogue Tweeters these days… 👿

• March 29, 2014 at 10:18 am

What about considerate riders, Julia? Old farts like me? :)

4. Rightwinggit
    March 29, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Bodycheck the slag into a wall, then go down claiming an injury, and sue the bastard.

5. March 30, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Of course. Fines. How come that wasn’t thought of before?

When ‘Deep Thought’ eventually coughed up an answer after 10 million years to the question of Life, the Universe and Everything, it was going to say, “Fines” but thought better of it. It didn’t want to get fined.