How does Nick Clegg define the word “patriotic”?

Much of the cut and thrust of politics is predictable – we’re the only ones with Britain’s interests in mind – no, we are. Par for the course.

But one statement of Clegg’s is strange indeed:

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg has hit out at advocates of the UK leaving the EU, accusing them of being “deeply unpatriotic” … membership of the EU was “right for Britain”, he argued, and his was a “pro-British position”.

If by “pro-British”, he meant good for Britain in the long term, then that’s an argument for another post.   I’d like to stick to the charge “unpatriotic” – can we examine it?

Unpatriotic to whom? Certainly unpatriotic to the position of the government on the EU, certainly unpatriotic to the EU itself, its heads and all it stands for – yes – but unpatriotic to one’s own country?

And does he honestly – not just in his spin – interpret, in that brain of his, selling out the country’s ability to make its own laws as “patriotic”?   People, including me, dismiss Clegg too often without taking him to task for his statements – really pinning him down and asking him to explain what he means by “patriotic”.

Because, as the weekend showed, most people do feel patriotic to our country and to our people and do not feel that towards a foreign body consuming it.  If you take the combined Tory and UKIP vote and place it against the other two – there’s my basis for saying that.

One tweet said:

As so neatly observed, it might be possible to feel sorry for Clegg – then one remembers boundary reform.

Plus student fees, one would have thought.

14 comments for “How does Nick Clegg define the word “patriotic”?

1. AndrewWS
    May 29, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Clegg is the sort of scoundrel for whom patriotism (in the words of the great Doctor) is the last refuge.

2. john in cheshire
    May 29, 2014 at 3:29 pm

In 2008, was it, when traitor Brown was about to sign the Lisbon treaty, there was a lot of effort trying to persuade Mr Clegg to vote for a referendum before it was signed. He could have achieved that; and in fact had, as I recall stated some time earlier that he believed it was necessary to have a referendum on Lisbon. That he chose to ignore all the many, many calls for him to force a referendum was for me enough evidence to demonstrate that Mr Clegg is a liar, a fraud and worst of all a traitor to our country. Despite him being an atheist, I say may God forgive him because I can’t bring myself to do so.

3. May 29, 2014 at 3:35 pm

“Because, as the weekend showed, most people do feel patriotic to our country and to our people and do not feel that towards a foreign body consuming it. If you take the combined Tory and UKIP vote and place it against the other two – there’s my basis for saying that.”

Most people, really?

Most people didn’t vote, they know it is a futile exercise as we cannot vote for or against the real power brokers.

As for Clegg, hanging is to good for him.

• May 29, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Yes and no, IMHO.

Sentiment – agreed. As for stats, most people not voting proves nothing about allegiances – only voting does. Polls, on the other hand, cross the boundary of voting/non-voting.

On the other hand, I’d guess many non-voters would say, as you do, that it’s all pointless and none-of-the-above. The history of my blogs over the years is along these lines.

Of late though, this UKIP thing has been interesting to watch.

Re Clegg – yes.

• May 29, 2014 at 11:56 pm

James

No it is not none of the above, they are all we are are offered by our betters, it’s THEM, whom you have written about many, many times. Them are the ones we cannot vote for or against.
        Yes the UKIP thing is interesting,particularly the treatment UKIP receive from the MSM and established parties.

• May 30, 2014 at 7:07 am

Not arguing here – obviously onside with you, Inmate.

4. Ed P
    May 29, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Now the LDs are down to one MEP, I hope the EU will punish Clegg by reducing his pension. Preserving his “entitlement” would seem to have been his main concern for years.

5. penseivat
    May 29, 2014 at 5:24 pm

‘Norman’ Clegg is in receipt of an EU pension which he risks losing if he says anything against the EU. So when he accuses Euro-sceptics of being unpatriotic, he is merely repeating the mantra of his Euro paymasters. A political prostitute who wouldn’t recognise ethics, loyalty or patriotism to the UK if it bit him on his EU bum!

6. John
    May 29, 2014 at 10:25 pm

This is nothing new. Clegg said pretty much the same thing in the LBC debate with Farage.

And guess what? The voters heard him and he only got 7% of the vote last weekend.

One of the beauties of a democracy is that no matter how right you think you are, if other people also think they are right and you are wrong then they are entitled to vote accordingly and the view with the most votes wins. It’s called democracy Nick…

7. mona
    May 30, 2014 at 7:26 am

Clegg has a weird vacant look in his eyes his face is almost featureless and seems to speak from a script, quite clearly incapable of critical thought, a perfect deputy prime-minister, a non-person even.

8. May 31, 2014 at 3:25 pm

inmate000003 : are you Prince Chuck?

• June 1, 2014 at 3:27 pm

amfortas

No,sorry, although I feel I could make better use of his parasitic lifestyle. Unfortunately I must earn a living like most around here.

I don’t do ordering the murder of ex-spouses,or talking down to the very people who fund my extravagant living.I don’t do comparing elected leaders, no matter how bad I feel they may be, with former family Nazi friends.I don’t shit in the faces of my children by forcing them to put up with some old slut.
      Prince Chuck would be lined up alongside Clegg Blair and Camoron, if I had my way.

9. John
    June 1, 2014 at 6:36 pm

IIRC Clegg’s entire repertoire of reasons not to challenge the EU consists of

1) “It would be bad for Britain”
    2) “It would mean turning the clock back for Britain”
    3) “It would be unpatriotic to leave the EU”

There you have it – the quality of modern political discourse. No wonder the useless fecker only polled 7% last weekend.

10. June 2, 2014 at 2:44 am

inmate000003. Garn. I bet you are a fan really and just trying to pull the wool.