If you feel it strongly, then for heaven’s sake write and post

The post further down on Lord Hill concerned me a bit – Wiggia got no comments until today – and so I thought I’d look at the stats on the post:

wiggia's lord hill post

You’ll notice at the right end of the line the number of views.  That’s a respectable number for a guestposter and bears no relation to the comments numbers.

Going around the blogs, I’ve noticed a few fellow bloggers a bit unhappy at the lack of “activity” but if you judge that by comments, it’s perhaps misleading.  Sometimes, there’s nothing really to say or to add – it just “is”.  Hottest posts at my place in the last days, in terms of comments, were about Wee Alex, as you’d expect and one on a woman in a bikini paddling a canoe.

Yet they weren’t the ones most viewed and who knows what was or was not viewed in RSS?

For a long time now, I’ve been suggesting to those who would write their feelings on things – just write it “and they’ll come”, they’ll view it.  Don’t hold back because you could be bringing an angle people need to see.  Something unsaid on the issue is an opportunity lost.  That means bloggers plus commenters.

And you, dear readers, you look at the most unpredictable things.  Someone puts in days of work on a post, gets 200 views and no comments.  Someone quickly writes a throwaway rant and gets 1000 views and 20 comments.  Amazing … but not so amazing.  It’s just the way it goes.

The message is surely not to stay silent.  Have your say and to hell with detractors.  If even one person reads it and nods his head, other than the author, then it will have been worth the time and effort.

14 comments for “If you feel it strongly, then for heaven’s sake write and post

1. Brightside Bob
    September 15, 2014 at 10:11 am

First!!! 🙂

• Furor Teutonicus
      September 15, 2014 at 10:17 am

Yippeee. Give him a medal. 😕

• Brightside Bob
        September 16, 2014 at 5:06 pm

It was meant as a bit of (ironic?) fun, given the subject matter. Jeez

• Furor Teutonicus
          September 16, 2014 at 7:45 pm

O.K. But I was once a “member” of a web site where the first twenty posts were “First”, “Second,” “HEY I am 24th!” etc. I just do NOT see the point, it made the web site basically unreadable, because virtually no one gave an opinion, because they were drowned out by bean counters.

In this case, I will forgive you, but PLEASE do NOT start a trend!!!

• Brightside Bob
            September 16, 2014 at 10:38 pm

“In this case, I will forgive you, but PLEASE do NOT start a trend!!!”

OK by me. As I said (sort of), mis-fired humour…!

• September 16, 2014 at 11:10 pm

6th!!! Yippee!!

• Brightside Bob
                September 17, 2014 at 6:28 pm

OH behave. Then again, it is your post… 😀

2. September 15, 2014 at 1:33 pm

I often visit other blogs on a daily basis but very rarely comment these days,unless I feel I have something worth saying, or it is a topic about which I feel particularly strongly.
    I have been put off commenting on some blogs for various reasons, either my point of view is derided by other visitors and I am personally insulted or some bright spark seeks to belittle my post due to spelling errors caused by my dyslexia.
    The derision of my point of view is fine not everyone agrees and we are all different, but personal attacks are a different matter as no one out in blog land knows me in my life so no one out in blog land has a right to personally attack me.
    I do not do this to other people and was taught treat others as you expect to be treated. So these days I tend to keep my opinions to myself increasingly I am finding any sort of blogging difficult, as I seem to keep ranting about the same old same old, and I find it difficult to motivate myself.
    I don’t get as many views as you here at Orphans but my viewing stats are acceptable and maintain a healthy average.
    I do take exception when I spend an hour thoughtfully writing out a piece. which for me can be a laborious process (spell check and google don’t always know best, even though I know what I am talking about they don’t 😉 ) to then have some clever visit from someone who only want’s to comment on my spelling or grammatical errors and completely ignores the content of the blog or feels that because my spelling and grammar is not to their liking that I don’t deserve a comment from them (other than insults about my spelling). Whilst I realise this should not matter in the grand scheme of things it does to me as a person and this approach from others also puts me off making comment on other blogs, if people want to make a judgment on me for my opinions thats one thing but to label me stupid or ignorant for my SPELLING to me that is petty and ridiculous.
    I fully realise there are those out there in internet land who will attack people just because they have nothing better to do, but having spent much of my life fighting against such prejudices I have no interest in doing so in my leisure time merely in the name of other people making themselves feel superior. 🙂

• Lord T
      September 15, 2014 at 1:53 pm

I’ve tried to comment on your blog when you have posted something I feel about but can’t because you want registration at Google, Yahoo or whatever. So I don’t comment.

and I’m not nit picking your spelling although there was the time …. 🙂

• September 15, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Oh dear your Lordship I do apologize profusely about that it’s a shame you can’t comment I have a feeling I would Like your comments 😀

• September 15, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Your syntax isn’t too hot either Kath – not that I’d dream of commenting on it, of course, as that would be petty and ridiculous. 😆

• September 15, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Yes Ian well your just a bloody troublemaker looking for a slap 😛
        I’ll av you no I wented to a posh skool and we woz taought by route sa there! 😀

• subwus
      September 15, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Kath Gillon, maybe it goes against the grain to say this, but rather than others needing some kind of ‘sensitivity training’ to ignore your dyslexia, perhaps you need ‘getting a thicker skin’ training so that you don’t feel obliged to play the part of the offended if insulting attention is drawn to it during a debate?
      There is nothing that obliges you to respond to any insult, onlookers can see for themselves when the easily offended don’t have the stamina to stick to their argument, instead being drawn away from their argument because they feel some perceived need to ‘justify’ why they should not be insulted.
      The world does not owe any of us some right not to be insulted, rather we owe ourselves some credence that we are robust enough to continue with our point no matter what brickbats are thrown our way?
      Sticks and stones and all that.

• September 16, 2014 at 11:20 am