More Responses Like This One, Please!

A store chain is facing a social media backlash and calls for a boycott after it angered mental health campaigners by appearing to mock bipolar disorders.

Don’t make ‘em angry. You won’t like them when they’re angry…

Joy, a clothes chain with 26 shops nationwide, was sent an image of a greeting card it stocks in one of its London stores, which a Twitter user found offensive.

Appealing to the store, the customer said the card, which had “don’t get mad, take lithium” scrawled on it, was “offensive to people with bipolar disorder”.

In response, Joy replied: “Then if you know anyone with bipolar disorder, don’t buy it for them. PROBLEM SOLVED.”

Which is the perfect response, actually. And if a few more companies used it, and then stuck to their guns in the teeth of the expected outrage, they might find they’d no longer have to play catch up with these sorts of issues.

But sadly, they didn’t stick to their guns. And we all know how useful appeasement is in making your problems go away, don’t we?

This afternoon, Joy apologised for the incident, saying that it often tries to be “irreverent” but sometimes gets it wrong.

They said: “We at JOY like to start conversations and create dialogue, we try to be irreverent, sometimes we get it wrong. Please accept our apologies.”

Did that work? No. Of course not. You can’t reason with the unreasonable.

Twitter users had also raised the incident with mental health charity Bipolar UK, who said it would be following the matter up with Joy “asap”…

Frankly, I’d be inclined to serve them in the same fashion.

11 comments for “More Responses Like This One, Please!

1. September 30, 2014 at 10:14 am

My partner was on Lithium for years and he found the card very amusing.
    In fact It’s the sort of card I would deliberately purchase because even people with mental illness are not totally fu*king humourless.
    The only people to find that offensive are those that like to be offended.

• October 5, 2014 at 6:36 am

This is, almost certainly, another example of a busybody getting offended by proxy.

2. hedgehog
    September 30, 2014 at 10:36 am

I took lithium carbonate for almost twenty-five years and found it was very useful in stabilising my bipolar condition (it was called manic depressive illness at the time).

The worst thing about lithcarb is that it f*cks up your kidneys, which I have only recently found out — still, it’s all swings and roundabouts, isn’t it.

I would love somenoe to send me a card like this one. I may be a manic depressive with shot kidneys but I still, I hope, have a sense of humour.

• September 30, 2014 at 1:56 pm

amen hedgehog and rest assured you still have your humour your comment make me chuckle out loud 😀

3. September 30, 2014 at 2:06 pm

The twitterati really are a bunch of loonies (offense intended).

4. Andrew Duffin
    September 30, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Oh God. How does it go again?

“One you have paid them the Danegeld, you never get rid of the Dane”

Do people never learn?

• ivan
      September 30, 2014 at 9:03 pm

No they don’t – after all Tones education, education, education ruined the education system and it appears that british history is a no no in schools.

• October 5, 2014 at 6:36 am

All the evidence we have says ‘No, they never learn’.

5. September 30, 2014 at 5:19 pm

I have plenty of lithium in batteries and also commit Twitter a couple of times a day.

6. October 4, 2014 at 4:10 am

There is a defence. A watertight one. Claim to be mad.

“How dare you object to me saying something funny. You just hate diversity. You refuse to be tolerant of my taking the piss while I am in my perfectly legit manic phase. Just you wait till my Tourettes comes on later, you f#@kers”.

7. October 6, 2014 at 4:03 am

I am waiting for a card that reads: “Don’t piss on Catholics. They have a Rosary and are not afraid to use it.” 🙂