How Do You Know People Like Sarah Campbell Are Vegan?

They tell you.

And tell you, and tell you, and tell you:

As I started explaining my new dietary choice to the people in my life who had noticed I wasn’t partaking of my two favourite foods (cheese and more cheese), barely an eyebrow was raised.

But when I mentioned that my two and a half-year-old son would be joining me on a vegan diet, it was a different story.

Well, yes. You’re an adult, and so entitled to make any dietary decisions, no matter how daft.

You are even entitled to make them for your child, too, but you can expect raised eyebrows if you treat your growing offspring as an experiment, or a banner to wave to show your adherence to a trendy cause.

I had taken all the facts at my disposal and made a decision – one that, after considering the health, environmental and ethical considerations, I felt was best for my son.

After a few weeks I began to suspect that this, in fact, was the problem: not that my son was on an atypical diet but that he was atypical anything.

Could it be that in a society focused on individualism, rich in diversity and multiculturalism, children’s upbringing is one of the last bastions of intolerant adherence to tradition?

Actually, we’re pretty intolerant of traditional child rearing. And rightly so!

Since turning vegan I have become fully engaged in making the best possible food choices for him and, after a few weeks of scraping lentil curries out of the carpet, I have noticed that he has begun cleaning his plate.

Well, what other choice does the poor little sod have? Starve?

In a world full of alarming statistics regarding the health of our children, surely people should be encouraged to discuss alternatives to the current mainstream diet.

But if my experiences of asking medical professionals for advice about veganism are anything to go by, you’re as likely to be handed a printout about potential problems and sent on your way.

If the lifestyle you’re embarking on has potential problems if not addressed correctly, wouldn’t you expect that?

11 comments for “How Do You Know People Like Sarah Campbell Are Vegan?

1. mikebravo
    October 18, 2014 at 11:11 am

She sounds like the first person you would call for a good night out.
    Life and soul stuff. “ooh Sarah, tell us all about your new lifestyle choices”.

2. Fidel Cuntstruck
    October 18, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Lentil curries eh? Christ, even I’d spit those out – poor little sod!

Does he really now “clean his plate” or has he just become more adept at hiding the evidence?

3. October 18, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Billions of people in the world are vegan by culture. Can you see anything wrong with THEIR children? What “potential problems if not addressed correctly” should they expect? C’mon – our views on diet are antediluvian!Perhaps the kid “cleans his plate” because his appetite has not been vitiated by the foods we are “advised” are healthy by the mainstream. I am not vegan, nor is anyone in our family. But I DO know children whose lives are better, because their parents have made THOUGHTFUL decisions on the family eating plan. Our whole family “eats funny”. In fact,”eating funny” is COMMON nowadays. it’s worth doing seeing eating the mainstream way, is not producing great results – is it? 🙄

• October 19, 2014 at 7:24 am

“Billions of people in the world are vegan by culture.”

So? Billions shit in their drinking water ‘by culture’ too.

• October 19, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Yes – specially if you live in London. Our water is fresh – the only shit in it is from sheep! 😀

4. Twenty Rothmans
    October 18, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Good. Her boy will either turn out to be a Hell’s Angel or a semen-gargling catamite, with a frail, weak physique, just as his mother intended.

And if Sarah Campbell is his biological mother, I’d wager he’ll be as fucking stupid as she is, given that whoever duffed her must have had something going on.

5. October 18, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Maybe she just hates anything with a Y chromosome, even her own son……

6. ivan
    October 18, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Here is a real case for social services to step in and remove the child. A vegan diet will not provide anywhere near the essential food needs for a growing child, it is even questionable in providing the needs of an adult.

7. October 19, 2014 at 5:32 am

I’ve probably made this point a hundred times, but C.S. Lewis considered food fastidiousness a form of gluttony.

• October 19, 2014 at 7:25 am

It’s a Deadly Sin that the ‘Guardian’ readers love!

8. October 21, 2014 at 10:33 am

I wonder if the little chap eats worms.