Fake charities – the great rip-off

nevinA charity fatcat

It’s difficult to know how to deal with the faux charity problem from the point of view of donating.

We get herded into certain positions. We discover, for example, that only a tiny portion gets to the intended target, that bureaucrats and other middlemen take their cut, that salaries of top execs in this ‘business’ are on the same whack they would be in any other regular job, only in this case, they’re screwing the volunteers who actually do the work and rattle the tins.

In fact, I’d go so far as to say that a charity fatcat is one of the lowest forms of human being because he or she knows exactly how people are getting screwed over for his or her obscene salary.

What stops me though from not giving at all is that I get the distinct impression that that’s precisely what Them are herding us towards – in disgust, refusing to give anything to any charity. And that makes us more meanspirited and that is precisely what Them intend us to be – dog-eat-dog, like them and look after N1.

So part of me refuses to play that game, I still wish to give but just don’t know which are kosher and all the ones which are not. I know some of which are not.

The Red Cross were particularly egregious as it’s not just the fatcats but other employees who also line their pockets, as was seen the other evening.

Here is a range of comments from the public:

jean, UK,

I and a friend recently worked at the Oxfam depot in Oxfordshire. The wages of the senior staff are verging on obscene – brand new Mercedes cars, houses costing over half a million etc. When they were sending emergency aid out we were asked to come in on our days off and also unsocial hours, and to regard the extra hours as our ‘donation’ to that particular cause! Quite a number of people have resigned over the years because of the amount of money raised going on admin, wages etc. This isn’t a charity organisation it’s a high powered business.

manich, newquay

Just look at the Rememberance Poppy display at the Tower of London. Supposedly for charity, yet only £8 out of every poppy bought for £25 goes to the charities….the rest is swallowed by so called ‘costs’. So, ut of the approximate amount raised of £22,000,000+, only bout £8,000,000 reaches the charities, so who’s pocketing the rest? I stopped giving to charities years ago due to the greedy fat cat culture they’ve adopted. Now, I buy things from charity shops. I get something, they get something. I find that easier to accept, knowing much of my money is still being wasted or used to pay the obscene salaries of those at the top.

bookreader, Sunderland

I used to be secretary of what is classed as a large charity, i.e. one with income over £25,000 a year. It was (is) a cancer care and research charity. No one received any income on a regular basis and the audit was done for nothing by our local bank manager. I kept the day to day accounts in my lunch hour and the chairman provided the tea and biscuits for meetings. The only real outlay was paper and ink for printing thank you letters – I was allowed use of the computer and printer at work and the hospital paid postage. We were lucky in that we received help from the hospital so the majority of funds were used as intended by donors. You’re better off donating to local charities than the massive ones.

Jamboree78, Southampton

Royal Voluntary Service, ‘together for older people’ Chief Executive pay 1013/14 – basic pay £134,589, 10.5% pension as percentage of pay, other benefits include a car allowance and private health car, Executive Director Operations basic pay £111,650, 10.5 % pension as percentage of pay, other benefits include a car allowance and private health care. The charity sector is now the new public sector with salaries entirely out of kilter with its charitable aims Think about this next time you are one of its 40,000 unpaid volunteers.

I know this – I’m not donating to a ‘charity’ again where there is a boss over £100k and volunteers getting nothing. As for what that leaves me to contribute to, I don’t know.

13 comments for “Fake charities – the great rip-off

1. Daedalus
    November 17, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Have not given to any of these big charities for years. They are a total scam. Same with the so called Health Charity, being used to keep Desmonds family in comfort, allegedly.

2. November 17, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Nice post. We don’t give anything. Buy from Salvation Army charity shop or local village Charity shop. Don’t do charity Christmas cards either. Charity has become a dirty word for many.
    🙁

3. November 17, 2014 at 8:49 pm

bookreader, Sunderland –

“You’re better off donating to local charities than the massive ones.”

Yup. Charity begins at home.

4. Cascadian
    November 18, 2014 at 12:16 am

I work from a very simple premise-if a charity asks for my money, they receive none, if they can “afford” advertising they have too much money to waste. Donations of cash to newspaper deliverers (often single mums or kids from deprived families who nevertheless are willing to work), old people counting pennies at a till, an old boy or girl at a pub. Much more direct, 100% appreciated, assisting local folk.

Too bad bookreader was so coy, and did not reveal the name of the charity she/he works for.

And let’s “go there” how much does Sam Cam receive as salary or honorarium for her work with Save the Children?

5. The Jannie
    November 18, 2014 at 8:18 am

Started to realise this years ago. My mother worked for a medico who worked part time for a large cancer “charity”. Disregarding any salary, the amount they spent on transport and hotels moving him the length of the country for “meetings” must have negated the efforts of countless well-meaning collectors.

6. Graham wood
    November 18, 2014 at 11:49 am

I agree with these comments. Generally many charities are not transparent enough, especially as to exactly how their donations are spent – what percentage comprise “overheads”?

There are exceptions, and several specifically Christian charities – manned mainly by unpaid volunteers.
    That must be true charity. Example: The Barnabas Fund which specialises in direct aid and support to needy or hungry people in countries all over the world. Their overhead expenses amount to no more than 7 percent.

7. Stonyground
    November 18, 2014 at 12:22 pm

“Charity begins at home but should not end there”

Thomas fuller. Being selectively quoted since the time of the English civil war.

• November 18, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Does YOUR charity begin at home? I doubt it, but I bet you’re all for taxing the needy to waste on foreign aid. Guardian readers make me sick.

8. mona
    November 18, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Fake charity, try COMMON PURPOSE Cameroid is a graduate along with John Pisspot former deputy labour PM, CP the hidden government.

9. November 18, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Good rule of thumb.

10. Woman on a Raft
    November 18, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Good post but I don’t think the Blood Swept Lands installation should be on the list because the economics of creating a large public artwork are correct. It raises some money but the point was the public expression. In all other respects, spot on.

If I were the chancellor on the sniff for money, I would follow exactly Cromwell’s strategy of having the roofs off these ‘monasteries’ to see which ones should usefully be allowed to continue, and which are just scams. Unfortunately, this will not happen because they are the pols favourite holding tanks and back-up jobs, so the most corrupt of them are precisely the ones sheltered by the political elite.

11. Flyinthesky
    November 18, 2014 at 5:10 pm

The absolute disqualifier to me is government or UN contributions, they actually pay some charities to lobby the governments to fulfill government wishes without the government having to take the blame for the legislation.
    RSPCA has a political agenda as does RSPB, WWF, OXFAM, GREENPEACE and many others. Any sort of political agenda is also a disqualifier to me.

12. Tedioustantrums
    November 18, 2014 at 6:39 pm

I well remember a large cancer charity reps coming round the doors in the 1960s. They sold a leaflet which gave news on how the research was going and it had spot the ball on it. At that time there wasn’t a lot of money about. Now here we are 50 years have gone by and some progress has been made. How many billions have they burned?

It was also hard to take one millionaire after another suggesting that we should all send money to help various schemes. Made all the worse by many of these causes which should be being paid from the government so we give twice in effect.